U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,032 posts, read 2,075,134 times
Reputation: 2169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - President Obama - regarding his border lack of enforcement
#2 - If you look at the fruit of their behavior, I disagree that every president has been a Christian.
#3 - I don't know about next year. If a President was a true Christian - I answered your question already. If you are looking for me to say he will mandate hetero marriage, and force abortion to be illegal, and force everyone to go to church on Sunday and pay tithes, and force everyone with last name between H-J be forced to sing in a choir... I can't say that.

Let me answer it this way.

Let's say I am sworn in in 2017. I am anti-abortion. Does that mean I make an executive order banning abortions? No. What's the process in place? You go through Congress. A bill comes to my desk with legislation banning abortion that has been passed. Me signing it does not mean I have bullied my way to what I want because I am a Christian. It means the people voted in regulators that want abortion banned - and I would agree.

If legislation came by my desk that said the people want federally funded abortions, I wouldn't sign it and it would be based on my faith - and Congress could override my veto. Why is that different from any other day in the life of this country? Because of my association with God?
1. Not one law enforcement agency has determined that President Obama has broken any laws. So that statement is nothing more than Rush Limbaugh nonsense.
2. EVERY President has claimed to be Christian, except some of the Founders, who were deists, which were near atheists, like Jefferson.
3. You CAN'T ban abortions because the Supreme Court in '73 said that they were legal - and NO President since then has even tried to ban it just as it seems highly unlikely than any future Presidents will try to ban same sex marriage.
If, by some chance, you were able to ban abortions, you would have nationwide riots on your hand. Good Luck with that President DRob.

 
Old 02-26-2016, 09:58 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,047,235 times
Reputation: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
American Evangelicals. I have a question for you.
If a Republican were to become the President in January, what would you expect him to do as far as your religious beliefs are concerned?
We're electing a President, right? Not a pastor in chief. I wouldn't expect anything from an Evangelical that I wouldn't expect from any other president.
Quote:
Stating that a President is a Christian is meaningless.
I agree. George W Bush is known to be a Christian and I thought he made some horrible mistakes.
Quote:
The Supreme Court said in '73 that abortion was legal.
The Supreme Court last year said that same sex marriage was legal.
Those things aren't going to change.
The next justice appointed will potentially have a huge impact on how the SCOTUS interprets the Constitution. I want a justice that believes it is not a living document, but instead reads it as it's written. I don't want them making allowances for bad laws, calling an illegal mandate a "tax", and I want them to support the rights that the Constitution guarantees us.

One can certainly argue that the reason those 2 items you listed are legal is because the Court had a liberal bent on those issues. There is no way gay marriage would have become law 50 years ago. The Court simply bowed to cultural pressure.
 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,679 posts, read 22,866,688 times
Reputation: 7695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
As usual, you misunderstand and take the extreme interpretation...
I was just speaking of the president himself... not everybody. He can't force anyone to see God. I didn't think this needed to be explained.
Explanation is good, particularly when the QUOTE has an entirely different connotation--

There is nothing wrong with recognition of God as we go about our daily functions in this representative republic (not a pure democracy).

It was the "...WE (public) go about OUR (public) daily functions..." that fooled me.

Shouldn't it have been "...they (president) go about THEIR (president)life's daily function..."

WE and OUR is a bit more inclusive than THEIR and tends to include not just the WRITER, but OTHERS...
 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,320 posts, read 8,300,073 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Then answer the question. What is a "Christian" President going to do next year that hasn't been done so far?
I've answered your question twice. See posts 18 & 20. It has nothing to do with "so far". It has to do with attitude.
 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,364 posts, read 14,238,251 times
Reputation: 10163
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
1. Not one law enforcement agency has determined that President Obama has broken any laws. So that statement is nothing more than Rush Limbaugh nonsense.
2. EVERY President has claimed to be Christian, except some of the Founders, who were deists, which were near atheists, like Jefferson.
3. You CAN'T ban abortions because the Supreme Court in '73 said that they were legal - and NO President since then has even tried to ban it just as it seems highly unlikely than any future Presidents will try to ban same sex marriage.
If, by some chance, you were able to ban abortions, you would have nationwide riots on your hand. Good Luck with that President DRob.

Obviously you are not getting my point, and you just want a platform to make your own points - which is what I originally assumed. If you actually were interested in what I said, you would not responded with the statement in bold.
 
Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,032 posts, read 2,075,134 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I've answered your question twice. See posts 18 & 20. It has nothing to do with "so far". It has to do with attitude.
Which Presidential candidate has the best "attitude", in your opinion?
Why would a Christian President have a better "attitude" than a Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or atheist President?
 
Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,320 posts, read 8,300,073 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Which Presidential candidate has the best "attitude", in your opinion?
Why would a Christian President have a better "attitude" than a Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or atheist President?
I'm not sure which candidate, yet.
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
16,465 posts, read 7,246,986 times
Reputation: 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Recognize a higher authority.
When I say *do*, I am talking about day-to-day actions that a president takes.

I would bet money that every president we have ever had has recognized some kind of moral authority by which he judges his own actions - the way most people do. So you can rest easy.

But I am guessing you think that a president must recognize the *same* moral authority that you do, and that other ideas of moral authority aren't the *real* moral authority.
 
Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 AM
 
1,286 posts, read 2,175,191 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
As far as I know, EVERY President that this country has ever had has been a Christian.
Whether you know it or not, you are claiming that Democrats are evil, antichristians, while Republicans are Godly - and THAT is nonsense.
Dude where did you learn to read? I claimed nothing. AND, and you should fix your first sentence. Talking the talk and walking the walk are two entirely different topics. But hey, oh enlightened and educated one, show me please, where I claimed the Republicans are godly, and the Democrats are eeevil.
 
Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,708 posts, read 32,146,550 times
Reputation: 9460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - President Obama - regarding his border lack of enforcement
Border Patrol is alive and well. As a matter of fact, it is larger than ever before, and more illegals are going south than are coming north. Presidents cannot build walls unless funded by Congress, and currently the Congress won't give the money for it. The whole issue is a good example of how dishonest US politics has become.

Quote:
Let's say I am sworn in in 2017. I am anti-abortion. Does that mean I make an executive order banning abortions? No. What's the process in place? You go through Congress. A bill comes to my desk with legislation banning abortion that has been passed.
I am not sure such bill would ever come to your desk since the Supreme Court has already ruled such bans unconstitutional. It is a great shame, but it is what it is. Same with gay marriage. I'll have to look into it, but I don't think they could overturn their own rulings even if they wanted to.

Quote:
If legislation came by my desk that said the people want federally funded abortions, I wouldn't sign it and it would be based on my faith - and Congress could override my veto. Why is that different from any other day in the life of this country? Because of my association with God?
A bill to repeal the laws against federally funded abortions would be something a president could veto. That kind of thing is a good enough reason to vote for Christian presidents. Unfortunately I do not think there will be a Christian candidate to choose from this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top