U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 AM

26,222 posts, read 14,105,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bush vetoed a bill relating to embryonic stem cell research. As for the current candidates......none of them impress me.

... because it would encourage people to destroy human embryos - which he found immoral... especially when there are other methods of gathering stem cells.

For him - human embryos are important.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,061,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The best I can give you without being overly political is they want to see fruit that backs up his/her claim of being a Christian. We don't know the candidates personally. So we have to judge what we see as to whether or not his/her claim is authentic, at least in part.
We're probably going around in circles.
What "fruit" do you want to see from a Christian President?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
We're probably going around in circles.
What "fruit" do you want to see from a Christian President?
Yeah - we did that already. I can't speak for others. If I give you my preferences, you have already once said I am trying to force everyone to my standards - which is not case.

So - I will just end the circle here.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:48 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,061,197 times
Quote:
Yeah - we did that already. I can't speak for others. If I give you my preferences, you have already once said I am trying to force everyone to my standards - which is not case.

So - I will just end the circle here.
1. I have NOT said that you are trying to force everyone to your standards. That was someone else.
2. I'll ask you specific questions. If you choose not to answer them, whatever.
Do you expect a Christian President to ban abortions?
Do you expect a Christian President to ban same sex marriage?
Do you expect a Christian President to allow Nativity Scenes on government property?
What specifically do you expect a Christian President to do? I HOPE that it is more than just claiming that he believes in Jesus Christ.
If you don't expect anything, then what difference does it make if the President is Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, or atheist?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 PM

58,494 posts, read 31,888,415 times
Quote:
... because it would encourage people to destroy human embryos - which he found immoral... especially when there are other methods of gathering stem cells.

For him - human embryos are important.
Yes, I gave that as an example to the question "which previous President has "killed an immoral bill"? Bush thought it was immoral, and he used a veto (his first) to kill it. Like I said, I would expect Christian presidents to veto immoral bills and to nominate justices whose views like up with theirs.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
1. I have NOT said that you are trying to force everyone to your standards. That was someone else.
2. I'll ask you specific questions. If you choose not to answer them, whatever.
Do you expect a Christian President to allow Nativity Scenes on government property?
What specifically do you expect a Christian President to do? I HOPE that it is more than just claiming that he believes in Jesus Christ.
If you don't expect anything, then what difference does it make if the President is Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, or atheist?

1- see post #41
2- I don't expect the president to ban anything - since this country does not set up presidents as dictators. I would like the person to hold those positions personally (not necessarily nativity scenes... whatever), but being that this country sets up this government as run by the people - and not one sole person,... I support no bans solely by the president. If legislation came up through Congress, I would expect him to sign it.

How's that?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I gave that as an example to the question "which previous President has "killed an immoral bill"? Bush thought it was immoral, and he used a veto (his first) to kill it. Like I said, I would expect Christian presidents to veto immoral bills and to nominate justices whose views like up with theirs.
I misunderstood your post. I'm straight now.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 PM

58,494 posts, read 31,888,415 times
Quote:
A president does not have the authority to do any of the above.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:09 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,509,046 times
The Republican candidates imply that they'll ban abortion, SS marriage, and put the Bible back in public schools, rid the country of Muslims and Mexicans. But they can't do it. It's just what they say to get the Evangelical vote. Just like Bernie can't deliver free healthcare and college.... but many Americans apparently aren't smart enough to understand what powers a president actually has.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:10 PM

15,153 posts, read 8,234,588 times
From gotquestions.org

The Bible teaches that a leader in the church should be a godly, moral, ethical person (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:6-9). This should apply to political leaders as well. If politicians are going to make wise, God-honoring decisions, they must have a basic morality and worldview on which to base the decisions they are going to have to make. So if there is a clear moral distinction between candidates, as Christians, we should choose the more moral, honest, and ethical of the candidates.

No matter who is in office, whether we voted for them or not, whether they are of the political party we prefer or not, the Bible commands us to respect and honor them (Romans 13:1-7; 1 Peter 2:13-17). We should also be praying for those placed in authority over us (Colossians 4:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:17). We do not have to agree with them, or even like them, but we do have to honor and respect them. Politics is always going to be a difficult issue for Christians. We are in this world but are not to be of this world (1 John 2:15). We can be involved in politics, but we should not be obsessed with politics. Ultimately, we are to be heavenly minded, more concerned with the things of God than the things of this world (Colossians 3:1-2). As believers in Jesus Christ, we are all members of the same political party—monarchists who are waiting for their King to return (Revelation 19:11-16).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or