Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 05:20 PM

63,420 posts, read 39,666,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Thank you. I was an English major, but I think my age is beginning catch up to me as even my wife has pointed out my improper use of words in talking. And memory is sliding, too. Recently I could not recall the name of a cousin I've known for years. So I'm getting posts in while I can.
MysticPhD has informed me of some improper word usage as well.
For so it seemed good in Thy eyes, Lord.
I use the PM to correct anyone.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 PM

88,032 posts, read 83,846,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I use the PM to correct anyone.
Well, then you should have PM'd me and said, "Why did you embarrass Warden publicly, ya dweeb?"

Next time I will do as you did!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM

45,269 posts, read 26,773,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Now you are beginning to see the real Jesus---one who warned repeatedly of the problem with riches, the sinfulness of hierarchy (respecting position among men), and demanding we forget the worse parts of the "LAW" (as in an eye for an eye---commanded, supposedly by God Himself in the OT).

Jesus was the penultimate liberal. The question is, why aren't you? The answer lies in introspection and comparison of one's heart with His.
Jesus is beyond any liberal or conservative descriptors. If anything, they try to line up with Him and portray Him as one or the other.

If He was an American, He probably wouldn't vote because He would already know who was going to win - and His power is greater than any world leader. There would be no need to lower Himself to be involved in the political scene.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,648,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus is beyond any liberal or conservative descriptors. If anything, they try to line up with Him and portray Him as one or the other.

If He was an American, He probably wouldn't vote because He would already know who was going to win - and His power is greater than any world leader. There would be no need to lower Himself to be involved in the political scene.
I agree that Jesus did not look at politics as a method to spread His message. He was busy enough taking on religious leaders who thought their Bible was more important than the people who lived amongst them.

Yet as a Christ follower it is up to me to stand up for those who are put down. Who in this country stands up for the poor? Everyone wants to support the middle class, but try to move the nation toward the OT idea of forgiving public debts every 50 years (which is what MOST nations did on some timetable), and it is so-called Christians who cry "communism."

Fundamentalists have already lowered themselves by swallowing Jerry Falwell's Moral Majority message in attempting to hijack a political party to do "God's work," which involves interfering with women's lives when they are pregnant, and attempting to make mistreatment of gays "legal," telling schools they can't inform high school students about birth control (thereby giving more opportunity to tell impregnated women/girls what actions they are "allowed" to do regardless of the impact on their lives.

But Jesus was certainly a liberal in His day. He and His disciples gleaned corn on the Sabbath He actually HEALED someone on a Sabbath, He believed in separation of church and state, as in "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, He proclaimed "peacemakers" to be blessed, not war makers waving an American flag, He didn't defend the rich, and when the Ten Commandments were thrown at Him He was dismissive of all but two.

Yes, Jesus is the best liberal I've ever known.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,413,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
American Evangelicals. I have a question for you.
If a Republican were to become the President in January, what would you expect him to do as far as your religious beliefs are concerned?
Stating that a President is a Christian is meaningless.
The Supreme Court said in '73 that abortion was legal.
The Supreme Court last year said that same sex marriage was legal.
Those things aren't going to change.

A Christian President has as much power to accomplish things as would a Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or atheist President.
What do you think is going to change?
The U.S. is a secular nation. It is NOT a monotheistic nation.

I guess I just don't understand why a candidate HAS to state that he or she is a Christian when his or her religious beliefs are completely irrelevant to the job.
It's as important as saying that a President knows how to play chess, pool, or Crazy 8's. So what.
Slavery was overturned so what you say isn't necessarily true.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 PM

63,420 posts, read 39,666,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Slavery was overturned so what you say isn't necessarily true.
Southern Christians vehemently fought against abolition.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Southern Christians vehemently fought against abolition.
It was Christians who pointed out the evil of slavery. Abolitionists were Christian. Still doesn't matter to this thread. A constitutional law was overturned, it happens.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,206,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It was Christians who pointed out the evil of slavery. Abolitionists were Christian. Still doesn't matter to this thread. A constitutional law was overturned, it happens.
I call BS on this one. You clearly don't know American History.

It was sorry christianity that justified it via their sorry bible.

When the colonists first came to the Americas and viewed it as their "promised land", a land that was "granted to them by "god"?

In 1634 John Winthrop, governor of the pious Massachusetts Bay Colony, wrote, "for the natives, they are near all dead of the smallpox, so as the Lord hath cleared our title to what we possess." His comments clearly hearken back to the Old Testament scriptures, of which he was such a devout believer.

Many of the early American settlers and explorers believed that the diseases that befell the natives were proof of God's "Divine Providence" helping them to conquer the land.

Over a hundred million natives died under European occupation throughout North and South America between the 1500s and the 1900s, millions of these being directly killed by enslavement and war. The killing of natives and the taking of their land was sanctioned by both the Catholic Church in South America and the many Protestant sects in North America. "Divine Providence" and "God's Will" were almost always invoked as the justifications for the extermination of "savages".

In addition to the sanctioning of genocide, the Christian religion was used to justify slavery as well. Not only was slavery sanctioned in the Old Testament, but it is sanctioned in the New Testament also. The founding fathers of The Church also supported slavery.

In 1705 the Virginia Slave Codes were passed in America, which were quickly followed by similar laws in other states.

All servants imported and brought into the Country...who were not Christians in their native Country...shall be accounted and be slaves. All Negro, mulatto and Indian slaves within this dominion...shall be held to be real estate. If any slave resist his master...correcting such slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction...the master shall be free of all punishment...as if such accident never happened.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:38 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,328,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Because the majority rule.

I never wanted the schools to force Christmas and Easter down my kid's throat but they did because the majority rules and if the majority want a Christian, then they want to hear who is Christian.
In a democracy the majority rules on every issue. The U.S. is not nor has it ever been a democracy. The U.S. is a constitutional republic.

Wikipedia
History
The outline of the government of the United States is laid out in the Constitution. The government was formed in 1789, making the United States one of the world's first, if not the first, modern national constitutional republics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa..._United_States

In a constitutional republic the constitution represents the standard upon which all other laws, voted on by duly elected representatives of the public, must be drawn within the legal statutes set down in the constitution. One of the things that a constitutional republic specifically guarantees is that the rights of the minority will not be arbitrarily infringed on through a tyranny of the majority. This is why the protestants, long the majority religion in the U.S., can not legally outlaw the practice of other religions. And it's why once non believers become a majority in the U.S., atheists will never be able to outlaw the free practice of religion. Freedom of religion is protected by the first amendment of the U.S. constitution.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I call BS on this one. You clearly don't know American History.

It was sorry christianity that justified it via their sorry bible.

When the colonists first came to the Americas and viewed it as their "promised land", a land that was "granted to them by "god"?

In 1634 John Winthrop, governor of the pious Massachusetts Bay Colony, wrote, "for the natives, they are near all dead of the smallpox, so as the Lord hath cleared our title to what we possess." His comments clearly hearken back to the Old Testament scriptures, of which he was such a devout believer.

Many of the early American settlers and explorers believed that the diseases that befell the natives were proof of God's "Divine Providence" helping them to conquer the land.

Over a hundred million natives died under European occupation throughout North and South America between the 1500s and the 1900s, millions of these being directly killed by enslavement and war. The killing of natives and the taking of their land was sanctioned by both the Catholic Church in South America and the many Protestant sects in North America. "Divine Providence" and "God's Will" were almost always invoked as the justifications for the extermination of "savages".

In addition to the sanctioning of genocide, the Christian religion was used to justify slavery as well. Not only was slavery sanctioned in the Old Testament, but it is sanctioned in the New Testament also. The founding fathers of The Church also supported slavery.

In 1705 the Virginia Slave Codes were passed in America, which were quickly followed by similar laws in other states.

All servants imported and brought into the Country...who were not Christians in their native Country...shall be accounted and be slaves. All Negro, mulatto and Indian slaves within this dominion...shall be held to be real estate. If any slave resist his master...correcting such slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction...the master shall be free of all punishment...as if such accident never happened.
True, but it was also Christians who put a stop to it. It was overturned and laws can be overturned again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity