U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you inadvertently worship other Gods or celebrate a pagan holidays you dont intend to worship or
Yes 6 30.00%
No 13 65.00%
Maybe 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:35 AM

9,156 posts, read 2,773,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So what we get is scripture that shows that the Israelites made up their own god and did NOT think they were worshipping YHWH explained by Moses, but we get NO acknowledgement that this is the case and NO concession that his previous post was a non-sequitur because of this. There's a word for that.

Did you miss verses 4 through 8 or what???

4He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”
5When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a festival to the Lord.” 6So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.
7Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
I know many of those that call themselves atheist but they still celebrate Christmas. So even if they don't intend to worship a pagan god, they still are worshiping a pagan god. Yet most I talk to don't mind that they are doing it. However, there are those that call themselves Christians also give the same answer atheist do when they find out that Christmas is a pagan holiday. It's not a big deal to them either. What they both have in common is that they see it from their point of view but don't really give the True God's point of view much thought or dismiss it entirely.

And since the Spirit's not divided..... Peace

Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The bible also states our hearts are wicked.

Jeremiah 17:9-10

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Exactly. So the last thing we should be going by is what it tells us is right. That's why we have the Word and the Spirit. If He said doing something is idolatry and we do it anyway and tell Him, but we really weren't worshipping it our heart, how far is that excuse going to get us? Not far. Almost as bad as, "the woman made me do it." Peace

Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 AM

21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
In response to "YOU CANNOT CELEBRATE ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO CELEBRATE, PERIOD! IT IS IMPOSSIBLE"

The big debate of lent, Easter, Christmas and even Valentines Day is that many Christian are celebrating un-biblical pagan holiday, whether they admit it or not. It is always said by most, thats not what it means to me, despite God saying do not worship him in the same manner that Pagans worshiped their Gods.

So the big question is, Can Christians inadvertently partake in paganism or even be worshiping other Gods if they are doing the same exact activities that the pagans did when they worshiped their false idol gods, but with the name Jesus slapped on top of it instead??
It is impossible to worship someone unintentionally. Worship requires devotion and dedication.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:16 AM

741 posts, read 270,995 times
Quote:
The bible also states our hearts are wicked.

Jeremiah 17:9-10

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
Yes what starts in the heart is what leads to 'his ways' and 'the fruit of his doings'. James 1:14 says, "But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire.Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn sin, when it has been carried out, brings forth death." Desires of the heart is where it all starts.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Amen. Most don't recognize desire as even being part of the heart. Peace

Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And just where do you find "the true God's point of view?"
If a person has faith in the Bible, then its the Bible. If a person doesn't have faith that the Bible is God's Word, then if a person calls themselves an atheist or a Christian, they are listening to their own heart and their own reasoning. At least the atheist will admit it's from his own heart. The false Christian will say they are speaking for God. I personally will never use the words in my own heart and say they speak for God. I will also never believe anyone that says they are speaking for God when what they say is in direct opposition of what the Bible says.

I know there are those here that don't believe in the Bible and that's fine. Yet those that say they speak for God I find them much like the The leaders of the churches in the Medieval era. Carrying out there own will with no one to oppose them because they claim to have 'the truth'. Yet no one can verify it because to read the Bible was heresy and people were put to death for it. They kept the Bible hidden. Now that people have the Bible those with their own agenda have retreated further to the safety of their own hearts. From their hearts they launch their own claims as to what is true. They feel safe because they know no human can verify their claims. I feel sorry for those that do that. I will never follow their example.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:38 AM

13,231 posts, read 4,228,306 times
One can't help but think of the waste of all the deaths of all those former pagan gentiles, why did they have to be persecuted and die?

They decided to believe in Jesus only, and they didn't care if they were hated or killed, they would only accept Jesus and his ways.

If it doesn't matter what feasts we keep, then a whole lot of the first converts died for nothing.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Amen. Most don't recognize desire as even being part of the heart. Peace
Yes. Every good, bad, great or horrible action, all started as a single thought.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

Yes. One is the root, the other is the fruit. Which is why it's really hard to look at the fruit of people, who are trying to convince you that the root is something different than the fruit you can plainly see, and not point out the emperor is naked. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or