Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,267,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nonsense! We see some our brightest and most driven kids being the most serious about their Christian walk.

From experience I can agree with this .

Then they leave and go to college , and the OP shows what tends to happen when out on their own thinking for themselves and experiencing life on their terms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I'm sorry, but I was a Southern Baptist for 20+ yrs. , a deacon, and a Sunday School teacher . So when I say I simply don't believe what you say , it comes from experience in multiple churches over the course of two decades . Perhaps you are just blind to what goes on, I don't know . That these are what is taught is beyond dispute .

Please provide a link to a SBaptist church proclaiming a belief in evolution or an acceptance of gay lifestyles .

I' ll be waiting . Without the accompanying danger of holding my breath
I have belonged to 3 SB churches over my 50+ years, the current for 20 years. I am a music minister for my current church. I see things from the inside.

We do not teach YEC or old earth, officially. That's left up to individual teachers/believers. I have no idea what our pastor believes, nor do I care. We also do NOT degrade gays. We do however, teach traditional marriage.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:06 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,563,478 times
Quote:
Nonsense! We see some our brightest and most driven kids being the most serious about their Christian walk.
Well, this may actually be true, and while it can be good, it can be a double edged sword (and ironically the opposite of what many people think).

Who is going to church? Not who you think - Health - Behavior | NBC News

It's often the more successful, established, traditional (heterosexual, Republican, corporate ladder climbing upper-middle class white male with a wife and 3 well above average kids and sporting a luxury sedan and large home) person who is churchgoing. To anyone who varies from that "tradition", church can be intimidating, and make the social and economic divide starkly apparent. Someone who is less traditionally "traditional" may think that they're not welcome because they don't fit the mold of success, as they believe the church sees it. And while that may not be the reality, the perception of a churchgoing "elite" can be strong, and make some people, especially younger people, shy away, not always out of being "anti church" or "anti religion", but simply out of feeling socially out of place in certain church environments.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I have belonged to 3 SB churches over my 50+ years, the current for 20 years. I am a music minister for my current church. I see things from the inside.

We do not teach YEC or old earth, officially. That's left up to individual teachers/believers. I have no idea what our pastor believes, nor do I care. We also do NOT degrade gays. We do however, teach traditional marriage.

Good for you. I have my name on a plaque of a S Baptist church I helped start .

When you find those links of S Baptist churches endorsing gay rights and evolution you let me know .

Old 02-26-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
From experience I can agree with this .

Then they leave and go to college , and the OP shows what tends to happen when out on their own thinking for themselves and experiencing life on their terms
We see quite a few come back during summer break and volunteer for various ministries and some even make it their career.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Well, this may actually be true, and while it can be good, it can be a double edged sword (and ironically the opposite of what many people think).

Who is going to church? Not who you think - Health - Behavior | NBC News

It's often the more successful, established, traditional (heterosexual, Republican, corporate ladder climbing upper-middle class white male with a wife and 3 well above average kids and sporting a luxury sedan and large home) person who is churchgoing. To anyone who varies from that "tradition", church can be intimidating, and make the social and economic divide apparent. Someone who is less traditionally "traditional" may think that they're not welcome because they don't fit the mold of success, as they believe the church sees it. That may not really be true, but the perception of a church going elite can be strong, and make some people, especially younger people, shy away, not always out of being "anti church" or "anti religion", but simply out of feeling socially out of place.
We see a lot of non-traditional kids in our youth and college ministry. They see hope in the message of Christ.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
We see quite a few come back during summer break and volunteer for various ministries and some even make it their career.
No one is saying that 100% leave . 50-70% probably by the time they are married and dealing with real life .

Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Good for you. I have my name on a plaque of a S Baptist church I helped start .

When you find those links of S Baptist churches endorsing gay rights and evolution you let me know .
If you mean gay marriage, no, we don't support that.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No one is saying that 100% leave . 50-70% probably by the time they are married and dealing with real life .
You could say that about most any organization. Most aren't serious.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
If you mean gay marriage, no, we don't support that.
In truth you likely think practicing gays are sinners bound for hell, and probably rebellious against God . And a large portion of your youth , whether you understand it or not, simply think of them as normal people attracted to the same sex .

This, along with the typical anti science /anti reality attitudes of conservative Christianity, make for lots of defects once the kids are making their own decisions and not under the rule of their parents .

And no church program is going to reverse this affect .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity