U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 PM

4,851 posts, read 1,471,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You could say that about most any organization. Most aren't serious.

As long as it gets blamed on them " not being serious" , " not be dedicated ", " not being deep Christians", the problem will continue to get ignored . Which is that conservative churches make them choose between two different worlds , the evangelical one of anti intellectualism and intolerance , and the world of science, reality, and being tolerant of people different from yourself .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM

7,256 posts, read 3,305,302 times
Quote:
We see a lot of non-traditional kids in our youth and college ministry. They see hope in the message of Christ.
Let's see what happens when they get out of college. Evangelical churches are socially isolating places for people who don't rush to marriage and start popping out children. Singles ministries, which used to be pretty popular, are dying or are being merged with young married ministries, and when that happens the singles slowly leave. In my area, probably 99% of millennials older than age 22 in the church are those following the traditional path. Married by age 23, maybe a kid or another on the way, Republican, and house in the suburbs. In fact I only have one churchgoing friend who is not.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 PM

15,243 posts, read 8,262,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
In truth you likely think practicing gays are sinners bound for hell, and probably rebellious against God . And a large portion of your youth , whether you understand it or not, simply think of them as normal people attracted to the same sex .

This, along with the typical anti science /anti reality attitudes of conservative Christianity, make for lots of defects once the kids are making their own decisions and not under the rule of their parents .

And no church program is going to reverse this affect .
We teach that ALL are sinners, bound for Hell, due to original sin. Thankfully, salvation is free through Christ's redemptive work.

We are not anti-science. In fact, we encourage and support our young people's education.

Yes, we do teach that traditional marriage is the only one God-ordained.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
As long as it gets blamed on them " not being serious" , " not be dedicated ", " not being deep Christians", the problem will continue to get ignored . Which is that conservative churches make them choose between two different worlds , the evangelical one of anti intellectualism and intolerance , and the world of science, reality, and being tolerant of people different from yourself .
Parents are the only ones forcing religion. The church has no such authority. We DO teach tolerance and kindness toward all.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Let's see what happens when they get out of college. Evangelical churches are socially isolating places for people who don't rush to marriage and start popping out children. Singles ministries, which used to be pretty popular, are dying or are being merged with young married ministries, and when that happens the singles slowly leave. In my area, probably 99% of millennials older than age 22 in the church are those following the traditional path. Married by age 23, maybe a kid or another on the way, Republican, and house in the suburbs. In fact I only have one churchgoing friend who is not.
My church has a large group of singles and a vibrant college ministry (we are a mega-church, near a top 10 US city). We also have Democrats.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 PM

4,851 posts, read 1,471,730 times
Quote:
We teach that ALL are sinners, bound for Hell, due to original sin. Thankfully, salvation is free through Christ's redemptive work.
Are you suggesting that you don't teach that practicing gays are ongoing deliberate and willful sinners ? Because you know what I am talking about .

Quote:

We are not anti-science. In fact, we encourage and support our young people's education.

Does your church have a stance on evolution and creationism ? Would your church hire a minister of any sort who professed a belief in evolution and denied creationism or ID ?

Last edited by wallflash; 02-26-2016 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 PM

8,627 posts, read 5,134,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Christianity is not based on activity in the choir, or participation in the youth group. It's about knowing Jesus. 1 John 2:19 says that people leave because they were never OF US...meaning that they did not know Christ. They simply got bored of the religious activity and left.

We can't force the kids to love Jesus. They will, or they won't. We can certainly instruct them and teach them about Jesus, but ultimately, it's up to them.
The best message about Christ doesn't come from the Bible, it comes from someone who lives Christ in their own life. That's why I was so long a Southern Baptist--the people back in the day actually LIVED the life. Then came the Moral Majority which discarded the first love of evangelical churches and began both a political and denominational hijacking. My wife, an SBC PK, and I grew disgusted with the moralizing and jumped ship--and decided after a long period of church hunting that we would do better treading unknown waters than on a so-called boat in a closed cesspool.

The church doesn't appeal to young people because they are looking for a God that calls them to serve everyone instead of a Book that dispenses rules. Jesus pulls people to Him. The Bible as used by evangelical churches is a turnoff.

There are too many invested in "bible-believing" now to find Jesus as the heart of their faith. Jesus has become lip service--and reason to bible worship rather than the other way around. Don't tell me it isn't so. Our hearts were torn out of us as we saw Christ crucified on the Bible rather than in the Bible.

It's a message that doesn't appeal, shouldn't appeal, and needs rejection.

The sad thing for "bible-believers" is that they can't believe what their own eyes tell them---it is their own message undermining them.

So don't believe it---just keep watching the statistics. Interestingly, although I can't find the article now, it is "home-based" churches that are catching on. Much less likely to get denominational dogma or bibliolatry in those settings

Old 02-27-2016, 05:13 AM

20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Quote:
My church has a large group of singles and a vibrant college ministry (we are a mega-church, near a top 10 US city). We also have Democrats.
nuff said.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 AM

20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
My be they are WAKING UP and finding the real message of GOD--

LOVE. MERCY and JUSTICE...

Young America is SO LIBERAL.....

Old 02-27-2016, 09:39 AM

4,060 posts, read 3,722,446 times
Quote:
In truth you likely think practicing gays are sinners bound for hell, and probably rebellious against God . And a large portion of your youth , whether you understand it or not, simply think of them as normal people attracted to the same sex .

This, along with the typical anti science /anti reality attitudes of conservative Christianity, make for lots of defects once the kids are making their own decisions and not under the rule of their parents .

And no church program is going to reverse this affect .
Please dont turn this into yet another gay battle, its aleast 30+ threads on that issue.

But in regards to your comment, if a church is bible believing, they will preach against homosexualutliy, fornication among hetrosexuals, and all other forms of sexual immorality as well.

As for the youth in the church, its because they are not spiritually backed and pretty much dont know 80% of the bible other than the name of Jesus, the resurrection, his birth, Jonah, and a few other stories that they can think homosexuality is cool because hollywood and the TV says so, but have no clue that they book they claim to read and follow says the opposite. So I doubt that will be the deciding factor for young adults if they stay or leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or