Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
um....what? What do you believe Luke 9 has to do with this discussion? Why would you think that a command that Jesus gave to his disciples regarding their specific mission at that specific time had anything to do with Christians living in the church age?
Metaphorically speaking...did god give everyone EARS??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:18 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Its a metaphor and a metaphor can be applied to many situations...
No, it was not a metaphor. It was instructions to to the 72 He sent out to share the good news.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:21 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is my understanding, that results show the more 'fundamentalist' a denomination is, the higher the number of PKs who do not take up the faith of their fathers. It makes sense to me.
Makes sense, because as I've said before, and can attest as a preacher's son myself, we suffer the worst side of fundamentalism. Not only are we required to obey the rules without question, but are held to a much higher standard. Image is everything when you are a PK.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:34 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Young people are leaving the church because , among other things, the church ask them to do two things they don't like .

1) Switch off your brains and disbelieve science and accept talking snakes and a 6000 yr old earth

2) Consider gays as rebellious sinners because they for some reason are naturally attracted to those of the same sex .

When the church makes these two points some of the main obsessions of their teachings , you are going to lose thinking and tolerant teenagers who , as a group, no longer accept these attitudes towards science and their friends .

Old 02-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Young people are leaving the church because , among other things, the church ask them to do two things they don't like .

1) Switch off your brains and disbelieve science and accept talking snakes and a 6000 yr old earth

2) Consider gays as rebellious sinners because they for some reason are naturally attracted to those of the same sex .

When the church makes these two points some of the main obsessions of their teachings , you are going to lose thinking and tolerant teenagers who , as a group, no longer accept these attitudes towards science and their friends .
My Southern Baptist church has never asked our youth to believe either of those.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:45 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Amazing that the other 20 to30% stay\return.
The best and brightest leave.
, the less intelligent, stay.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:46 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My Southern Baptist church has never asked our youth to believe either of those.
They did when I was a teen

And I quit.5

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

I'm sorry, but I was a Southern Baptist for 20+ yrs. , a deacon, and a Sunday School teacher . So when I say I simply don't believe what you say , it comes from experience in multiple churches over the course of two decades . Perhaps you are just blind to what goes on, I don't know . That these are what is taught is beyond dispute .

Please provide a link to a SBaptist church proclaiming a belief in evolution or an acceptance of gay lifestyles .

I' ll be waiting . Without the accompanying danger of holding my breath

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Conservative Christians often assume that people leave the faith because they are "in rebellion against God," but remember that the idea that "we are all in rebellion against God" is a conservative Christian doctrine. Non-believers don't believe there is a god to rebel against, am I right?

Are you willing to consider the possibility that people leave conservative Christianity for more rational reasons?

When you stopped believing in Santa, was it because you wanted to rebel against Santa? Or did you stop believing for other reasons?
Younger people often go through a phase where they rebel against multiple things that their parents had them do, not just religion. And Conservative Christians are not the only faith who believes that a healthy life includes an important spiritual dynamic that's beyond oneself.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Amazing that the other 20 to30% stay\return.
The best and brightest leave.
, the less intelligent, stay.
Nonsense! We see some our brightest and most driven kids being the most serious about their Christian walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity