U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 AM

9,162 posts, read 2,773,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi granpa The act of physical circumcision is the shadow of the spiritual circumcision we all will go when the carnal side of us is removed and we become like our Father. Just like physical baptism is a shadow of the spiritual baptism (into the death of Jesus) we will have to go through to make us like our Father. First comes the physical and them the spiritual.

Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
God also commanded him to sacrifice Isaac
Knowing full well in advance that Abraham would not.

Genesis 22:2-8 And saying is He, "Take, pray, your son, your only one, whom you love, Isaac, and go you to the land of Moriah, and offer him up there for an ascent offering on one of the mountains of which I will apprize you. (3) And early in the morning is Abraham rising, and is saddling his ass, and is taking two of his lads with him, and Isaac, his son, and is rending the wood for the ascent offering. And rising is he and going, and came to the place of which the Elohim apprized him on the third day. (4) And lifting up his eyes is Abraham and seeing the place from afar. (5) And saying is Abraham to his lads, "Sit you here with the ass, and I and the lad will go, meanwhile, and we will worship and return to you. (6) And taking is Abraham the wood for the ascent offering and is placing it on Isaac, his son. And taking is he in his hand the fire and the knife. And going are they two together. (7) And speaking is Isaac to Abraham, his father, and saying, "My father!"And saying is he, "Behold me, my son.And saying is he, "Behold the fire and the wood, yet where is the flockling for the ascent offering? (8) And saying is Abraham, "The Elohim will see for Himself as to the flockling for the ascent offering, my son.

Genesis 22:10-13 And stretching out is Abraham his hand and taking the knife to slay his son. (11) And calling is the messenger of Yahweh to him from the heavens and saying, "Abraham! Abraham!"And saying is he, "Behold me!" (12) And saying is he, "You must not stretch out your hand on the lad, and you must not do aught to him, for now I know that you fear the Elohim, for you have not kept back your son, your only one from Me. (13) And lifting is Abraham his eyes and seeing, and behold! One ram is behind him, held in a thicket by its horns. And going is Abraham and taking the ram, and offering it up for an ascent offering instead of Isaac, his son.

You see, God already had the messenger ready to stop Abraham. But Abraham wasn't sure how far he would go. It was a test of obedience.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:36 AM

26,248 posts, read 13,909,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Knowing full well in advance that Abraham would not.

Genesis 22:2-8 And saying is He, "Take, pray, your son, your only one, whom you love, Isaac, and go you to the land of Moriah, and offer him up there for an ascent offering on one of the mountains of which I will apprize you. (3) And early in the morning is Abraham rising, and is saddling his ass, and is taking two of his lads with him, and Isaac, his son, and is rending the wood for the ascent offering. And rising is he and going, and came to the place of which the Elohim apprized him on the third day. (4) And lifting up his eyes is Abraham and seeing the place from afar. (5) And saying is Abraham to his lads, "Sit you here with the ass, and I and the lad will go, meanwhile, and we will worship and return to you. (6) And taking is Abraham the wood for the ascent offering and is placing it on Isaac, his son. And taking is he in his hand the fire and the knife. And going are they two together. (7) And speaking is Isaac to Abraham, his father, and saying, "My father!"And saying is he, "Behold me, my son.And saying is he, "Behold the fire and the wood, yet where is the flockling for the ascent offering? (8) And saying is Abraham, "The Elohim will see for Himself as to the flockling for the ascent offering, my son.

Genesis 22:10-13 And stretching out is Abraham his hand and taking the knife to slay his son. (11) And calling is the messenger of Yahweh to him from the heavens and saying, "Abraham! Abraham!"And saying is he, "Behold me!" (12) And saying is he, "You must not stretch out your hand on the lad, and you must not do aught to him, for now I know that you fear the Elohim, for you have not kept back your son, your only one from Me. (13) And lifting is Abraham his eyes and seeing, and behold! One ram is behind him, held in a thicket by its horns. And going is Abraham and taking the ram, and offering it up for an ascent offering instead of Isaac, his son.

You see, God already had the messenger ready to stop Abraham. But Abraham wasn't sure how far he would go. It was a test of obedience.
Abraham was called "Friend" of G-d...A friend is able to argue with a friend with no hard feelings...Abraham argued for the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah, total strangers, but he did not argue with G-d when it came to his own beloved son, Isaac...If you take note, G-d stopped talking to Abraham directly, the first instance of this was when the messenger stopped Abraham and pointed out the Ram tangled in the thicket...It alludes to G-d being upset with Abraham because he was willing to argue for total strangers but not for his own son...

Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,014,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Abraham was called "Friend" of G-d...A friend is able to argue with a friend with no hard feelings...Abraham argued for the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah, total strangers, but he did not argue with G-d when it came to his own beloved son, Isaac...If you take note, G-d stopped talking to Abraham directly, the first instance of this was when the messenger stopped Abraham and pointed out the Ram tangled in the thicket...It alludes to G-d being upset with Abraham because he was willing to argue for total strangers but not for his own son...
Interesting interpretation. Just out of curiousity, is this a popular view of Rabbis or another Jewish source? Where did this interpretation come from?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 PM

2,651 posts, read 1,381,453 times
Sodom wouldnt have been destroyed if they hadnt turned Hagar over to the to messengers

Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”
33 When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

Last edited by granpa; 03-18-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 AM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 14 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,845,108 times
Circumcision is Religion's way of saying that you don't own your own body.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 AM

26,248 posts, read 13,909,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Circumcision was brought in by God as a covenant with Abraham and Isaac and their family , as people never took a bath and were filthy people , where disease like yeast infections and even the illness of leprosy is brought on by people not cleaning themselves , as this disease is still active in India and probably other poor countries , as people are dirty ........,,Then Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God because they were wicked people and the king of these cities lived high like a hog , and the people of the city were starving and poor and the king never once went to help the people of His city , so God had it and destroyed them
He destroyed them because they were homosexuals....

Old 08-15-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

I can't agree with this. He also said that now I know you love Me. I don't think He would have been upset with Abraham over that, and Abraham had no doubt that even if He had him slay his son, He would just raise him back up because He had already told Abraham the promise would be fulfilled through his seed, so obviously the seed had to live to fulfill what He said. He believed G-d in spite of what it looked like (appearance realm) and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

The messenger bringing a message of where to find the proper sacrifice of a ram, was a shadow prefiguring John the Baptist, and G-d witnessed at that moment in time that John was correct. Peace

Old 08-15-2016, 05:03 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I can't agree with this. He also said that now I know you love Me. I don't think He would have been upset with Abraham over that, and Abraham had no doubt that even if He had him slay his son, He would just raise him back up because He had already told Abraham the promise would be fulfilled through his seed, so obviously the seed had to live to fulfill what He said. He believed G-d in spite of what it looked like (appearance realm) and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
The messenger bringing a message of where to find the proper sacrifice of a ram, was a shadow prefiguring John the Baptist, and G-d witnessed at that moment in time that John was correct. Peace
That you can discuss these barbaric ideas as if they made sense boggles my mind.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That you can discuss these barbaric ideas as if they made sense boggles my mind.

I think I pointed this out to you before, but G-d can do what He wants, with who He wants, anytime He wants, any way He wants, and He doesn't need anyone's approval to do it, BECAUSE HE IS G-D AND WE ARE NOT. Until you and your "superior intellect" humble yourself to your Creator, you will never understand. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or