U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 AM

26,198 posts, read 14,090,937 times

Advertisements

Many people want to define Christianity in their own terms... and they get wrapped up in what they think Christianity should be... and reject other Christians because they don't conform to what "I" believe.

News Flash - It ain't about us. Christianity is not about what we want.

The OP is not happy with conservative Christians, and seems like she wants to separate. Is that want CHRIST wants?

Anytime there is separation among followers of Christ - know that it's not the will Christ (with one exception) - for Christ particularly prayed to God in heaven for our unity.

John 17:20-23 - "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23 I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

Both sides - instead of looking at each other (whom they cannot control) and pointing the finger - need to examine themselves and their own actions (whom they can control) and petition the Holy Spirit.

If you desire unity - follow the Holy Spirit. If you want to love others in accordance with God - follow the Holy Spirit. Do that and everything will take care of itself. But doing that also means you and I need to put aside our own preferences.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 02-29-2016 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: added exception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 AM

15,547 posts, read 6,995,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you desire unity - follow the Holy Spirit. If you want to love others in accordance with God - follow the Holy Spirit. Do that and everything will take care of itself. But doing that also means you and I need to put aside our own preferences.
And what are the characteristics of that Spirit that we should follow?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And what are the characteristics of that Spirit that we should follow?
If you have to ask that question - you may have larger issues.

Instead of me telling you - why don't you look through what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit. John chapters 14, 15, and 16.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:12 AM

20,554 posts, read 22,715,248 times
Quote:

Instead of me telling you - why don't you look through what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit. John chapters 14, 15, and 16.
How does one interpret the signs of the Holy Spirit that we should follow or look for?

Imagine--

I ask, "Jesus what must I do for eternal life?"

Jesus replies, "Seriously, if you have to ask you have BIGGER issues that I can heal..."

How perverted and SELFISH that response would be, huh

Old 02-29-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Many people want to define Christianity in their own terms... and they get wrapped up in what they think Christianity should be... and reject other Christians because they don't conform to what "I" believe.

News Flash - It ain't about us. Christianity is not about what we want.

The OP is not happy with conservative Christians, and seems like she wants to separate. Is that want CHRIST wants?

Anytime there is separation among followers of Christ - know that it's not the will Christ (with one exception) - for Christ particularly prayed to God in heaven for our unity.

John 17:20-23 - "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23 I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

Both sides - instead of looking at each other (whom they cannot control) and pointing the finger - need to examine themselves and their own actions (whom they can control) and petition the Holy Spirit.

Mirror mirror on the wall

Who is the biggest hypocrite of all?

Just asking..

Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How does one interpret the signs of the Holy Spirit that we should follow or look for?

Imagine--

I ask, "Jesus what must I do for eternal life?"

Jesus replies, "Seriously, if you have to ask you have BIGGER issues that I can heal..."

How perverted and SELFISH that response would be, huh
It's a shame that you cannot deal with honest responses... that you feel the need to turn them into me being perverted and selfish.

My answer was in his best interest. You guys are contrary to whatever I say - so I take myself out of it and send you the Bible, which is the source of this - and I am still selfish.

As far as your imaginary scenario - which is what you guys do... continually dream up controversies... I ain't Jesus. I am sending Nate to what Jesus said to answer his inquiry. I request you read and meditate on the same passage for yourself in your inquiry above.

And I'm a hypocrite - well, I'm sure you will keep the hits coming. That's what you do. By the way - love your neighbor as yourself... that's your robotic response to what Christianity is... you may want to review that...

Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 AM

23,269 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Fundamentalism is currently Christianity's greatest (albeit non-original) sin.

Until its stain and stench is eradicated, the whole religion is tainted.

Fortunately, youth today are smarter, better educated and consequently more open-minded than their forebears. Christian fundamentalists will be a sorry footnote in history within a couple of generations.

The bigoted bellowing and impotent cries of persecution we hear daily is the sweet music of their death knell.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It's a shame that you cannot deal with honest responses... that you feel the need to turn them into me being perverted and selfish.

My answer was in his best interest. You guys are contrary to whatever I say - so I take myself out of it and send you the Bible, which is the source of this - and I am still selfish.

As far as your imaginary scenario - which is what you guys do... continually dream up controversies... I ain't Jesus. I am sending Nate to what Jesus said to answer his inquiry. I request you read and meditate on the same passage for yourself in your inquiry above.

And I'm a hypocrite - well, I'm sure you will keep the hits coming. That's what you do. By the way - love your neighbor as yourself... that's your robotic response to what Christianity is... you may want to review that...
No need to "turn"them, it is done for me..

too bad others cannot se the truth and admit that CHRIST was about the business of LOVE, MERCY and JUSTICE and had no care for WEALTH, OPPRESSION and WAR.

Those who would portray Jesus as a vengeful OGRE hell-bent on FEAR and torment are missing the WHOLE picture.

Too bad there are those who would wallow in self-persecution rather than do what is right and what has been told to us--especially since they revere the mythological bible so much--but only when it agrees with their interpretation.

Dare anyone offer opposing views or challenge the prevailing myths, they are oh so quick to take the sword of persecution as evidence they ALONE are correct.

Loving your neighbor also seemed to be a common theme of Jesus...

Me doth belive some think TOO highly of themselves and have expanded EGOS..

Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 AM

15,547 posts, read 6,995,657 times
Quote:

I don't have to ask, but I think it is appropriate to mention what at least some of them are whenever we SAY "Follow the Spirit." I have seen too many people say that who have been posting in opposition to those characteristics. It is all very well to claim the leading of the Spirit, but if the results are not according to "the fruit of the spirit," it does not wash.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I don't have to ask, but I think it is appropriate to mention what at least some of them are whenever we SAY "Follow the Spirit." I have seen too many people say that who have been posting in opposition to those characteristics. It ids all very well to claim the leading of the Spirit, but if the results are not according to "the fruit of the spirit," it does not wash.

Since you already know... and you know when people are in opposition... I don't get why you are even asking the question. You can agree or disagree to what you originally commented upon from my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or