U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 PM

15 posts, read 43,047 times

Advertisements

Let's look at something that I'm sure is rarely discussed in this forum.

God's plan of salvation is depicted in his seven annual holidays.

1. Passover: This festival pictures mankind's need for the savior to come. The blood of the lamb that the Israelites sprinkled on the doorposts in Egypt saved them from death. This pictured the blood of the real lamb (jesus) saving us from death. Christ was crucified on passover and as Paul explains he is our passover lamb.

2. Feast of Unleavened Bread: This seven day festival, separate from passover, has the tremendous symbolism of leaven or yeast as sin. We are to remove the Leaven (sin) from our houses. It follows directly with receiving the grace from the lamb's blood to wash away our sins. It is then up to us to try and put sin out of our life. What's so fantastic about this symbolism is that it's impossible to clean every bit of leaven (sin) up. Try as you might you can always find one crumb in the back of your cupboard. But we still must try!

3. Pentecost: Pictures the coming of the holy spirit as a helper and guide on our journey. The Holy Spirit did come on the day of pentecost just a sort time after Christ's crucifiction. The day of pentecost in ancient Israel was a time of the early small harvest. Even this is symbolized in the early harvest (of souls) that will take place at Christ's coming. The second larger harvest is part of the four fall holidays.

These three holiday make up the Spring Festivals. To recap the meaning: The blood of the lamb washes away our sins and saves us from death. We are then obligated to sin no more and God gives us the Holy Spirit to help us do so.

It is perfect the way that God has given real meaning to his Holy Days. The four fall festivals can be discussed in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,659 times
THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE LIFE OF THE RESURRECTION WHICH IS THE SAME LIFE THAT RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD [ BEING BORN OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR DEATH TO HOLD HIM ] WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT CAME WITHIN SAUL. CHRIST WAS REVEALED ALIVE AND THE LIFE IN HIM WAS NOW IN SAUL [PAUL] THAT LIFE IS FREE OF SIN BECAUSE OUR LORD CAME IN THE LIKENESS OF SINFUL FLESH AND ENTERED IT INTO DEATH ATH AND AS PAUL TESTIFIED, ' THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT OF LIFE HAS REDEEMED ME FROM THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH' HE NO LONGER HAD CONFIDENCE IN HIS OWN LIFE WHICH ENDS IN DEATH BUT IN THE LIFE THAT HIS LORD JESUS CHRIST HAS OBTAINED FOR HIM AND FOR ALL WHO BELIEVE THIS IS WHAT IT IS TO BE BORN OF THE SPIRITRead more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/253935-gods-plan-salvation.html#ixzz0TZP1uEl9[/url]

Old 10-10-2009, 04:47 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,198,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic33 View Post
Let's look at something that I'm sure is rarely discussed in this forum.

God's plan of salvation is depicted in his seven annual holidays.

1. Passover: This festival pictures mankind's need for the savior to come. The blood of the lamb that the Israelites sprinkled on the doorposts in Egypt saved them from death. This pictured the blood of the real lamb (jesus) saving us from death. Christ was crucified on passover and as Paul explains he is our passover lamb.

2. Feast of Unleavened Bread: This seven day festival, separate from passover, has the tremendous symbolism of leaven or yeast as sin. We are to remove the Leaven (sin) from our houses. It follows directly with receiving the grace from the lamb's blood to wash away our sins. It is then up to us to try and put sin out of our life. What's so fantastic about this symbolism is that it's impossible to clean every bit of leaven (sin) up. Try as you might you can always find one crumb in the back of your cupboard. But we still must try!

3. Pentecost: Pictures the coming of the holy spirit as a helper and guide on our journey. The Holy Spirit did come on the day of pentecost just a sort time after Christ's crucifiction. The day of pentecost in ancient Israel was a time of the early small harvest. Even this is symbolized in the early harvest (of souls) that will take place at Christ's coming. The second larger harvest is part of the four fall holidays.

These three holiday make up the Spring Festivals. To recap the meaning: The blood of the lamb washes away our sins and saves us from death. We are then obligated to sin no more and God gives us the Holy Spirit to help us do so.

It is perfect the way that God has given real meaning to his Holy Days. The four fall festivals can be discussed in another thread.
We are not obligated to "sin no more" ... We are however advised to resist the devil and to try to live unspotted from the world. When Christ told the prostitute to go and sin no more it was not a general command concerning all sin but he was specifically advising her to quite her prostitution.

Sin is in the members of our flesh(Romans 7). In order to stop sinning we would have to die. That is what Jesus was saying when he spoke of cutting off your hand or plucking out your eye. He was using a type of reverse psychology in order to explain that the law could not save but only exists to convict. That grace is a free gift and his blood sacrifice for the world was the only way we could be saved. He also warned them that if they(the Hebrews) rejected him they would be destroyed as a nation ...

The fact is depending on your measure of faith sin is different for each person. Paul explains this is Romans 14 and further explains that according to his measure of faith, all things were lawful to him, though not all things were expedient either(1 Cor 6:12).

For you to say we are obligated not to sin seems to me that you believe that it is possible not to sin ... Look at Paul as your example ...

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

The Thorn in the flesh to which he was referring was some great sin which he could not be free of. Even when he prayed for God to take it away from him God refused to do so and told him that Grace would have to be enough for him. Thus was God glorified and his strength perfected by Paul's weaknesses because of the grace he provides.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-10-2009 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,592,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
We are not obligated to "sin no more" ... We are however advised to resist the devil and to try to live unspotted from the world. When Christ told the prostitute to go and sin no more it was not a general command concerning all sin but he was specifically advising her to quite her prostitution.

Sin is in the members of our flesh(Romans 7). In order to stop sinning we would have to die. That is what Jesus was saying when he spoke of cutting off your hand or plucking out your eye. He was using a type of reverse psychology in order to explain that the law could not save but only exists to convict. That grace is a free gift and his blood sacrifice for the world was the only way we could be saved. He also warned them that if they(the Hebrews) rejected him they would be destroyed as a nation ...

The fact is depending on your measure of faith sin is different for each person. Paul explains this is Romans 14 and further explains that according to his measure of faith, all things were lawful to him, though not all things were expedient either(1 Cor 6:12).

For you to say we are obligated not to sin seems to me that you believe that it is possible not to sin ... Look at Paul as your example ...

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

The Thorn in the flesh to which he was referring was some great sin which he could not be free of. Even when he prayed for God to take it away from him God refused to do so and told him that Grace would have to be enough for him.

Quote:
The Thorn in the flesh to which he was referring was some great sin which he could not be free of. Even when he prayed for God to take it away from him God refused to do so and told him that Grace would have to be enough for him.
I totally agree we are not nor can be sinless while in these flesh bodies.

However the Scriptures does not say Paul's thorn in the flesh was a great sin. You are adding that yourself.

Paul said a thorn in the *flesh

*flesh #4561 sarx means the body.

He had some kind of physical ailment. Many think it might have been poor eyesight since he often had others do his writing(s) for him.

Last edited by mshipmate; 10-10-2009 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,198,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I totally agree we are not nor can be sinless while in these flesh bodies.

However the Scriptures does not say Paul's thorn in the flesh was a great sin. You are adding that yourself.

Paul said a thorn in the *flesh

*flesh #4561 sarx means the body.

He had some kind of physical ailment. Many think it might have been poor eyesight since he often had others do his writing(s) for him.
I believe thorn in the flesh refers to some particular sin which is in the members of the body as Paul declares in Romans 7 ... I believe it was some particular sin with which he struggled above any other.

Paul makes it clear enough that it was some sort of sin in two different ways ...

1. He refers to the fact that God told him that his(Gods) grace would suffice. Grace is not given for physical ailments or disease, if that were the case then he would have been healed. Grace is for sin and God would not take away that thorn so that Paul's weakness would perfect Gods strength. That is to say it would be all the more evident the grace(pardon from sin) of God in Paul through his fleshly weaknesses.

2. Paul clearly explains why the thorn was not taken away from him in that he would other wise be exalted above measure ... The words exalted above measure are a translation of the one Greek word hyperairō , which means become haughty or boastful.

Whatever the thorn his his flesh may have been, it caused him to think himself retched as he declares of himself in Romans 7 ...

Whether or not others understand this to mean the same thing does not concern me, as i believe the implications are obvious enough in this regard to show my interpretation to be accurate. I have read some opinions that believe his thorn in the flesh was his legalistic tendencies ... Though we can not be sure since he did not go into detail. That is another reason why i believed it to have been some sin in his life. It must have been a personal and or intimate issue he did not care to divulge.

Notice the commonality of language between Romans 6:1-2 and 2 Corinthians 12:7-10?

Paul did not live in the sin which i believe was the thorn in his flesh, but he was tormented by it throughout the remainder of his life because God did not want him to become too haughty due to the abundance of revelations that Paul had received. It was basically Gods way of Keeping Paul honest and not allowing him to get to big for his breeches and start being to legalistic. It was Gods way of making Paul realize that salvation was by grace alone and not by works.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-10-2009 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 09:02 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,451,865 times
God's plan of salvation......so simple, COME! Everything else will make sense soon, but you need to COME FIRST...............FINAL ANSWER!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or