Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I don't come on the Christianity forum to equate the Christian beliefs to Santa, elves, fairies, etc... I just edited my previous post explaining why and I think it's fair.

As far as atheists getting defensive... I think you're right. Many of us do get defensive, but I think it depends on what you're "attacking". To me, if someone says "You don't really NOT believe, do you? I mean you DO believe in God, you just say that you don't right???"

I take that the same way you would if someone approached you and said "You don't really NOT believe in Zeus, do you?? I mean you DO believe in Zeus, you just say that you don't, right??"

So, yes, there is a certain amount of defensiveness that comes with that territory and I do understand what you are talking about.
Well,thanks for responding with an open mind. I was just curious about your posting and you answered me..thanks. I don`t really believe as the modern church does,I think they have misinterpreted many scriptures in the bible but I do consider myself a christian..a believer in God and his son Jesus..the savior of the world! See you on another thread.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Well,thanks for responding with an open mind. I was just curious about your posting and you answered me..thanks. I don`t really believe as the modern church does,I think they have misinterpreted many scriptures in the bible but I do consider myself a christian..a believer in God and his son Jesus..the savior of the world! See you on another thread.
And that's a fair assessment. I appreciate your honesty and candor as well. You're certainly entitled to your beliefs, and I respect that, especially on this particular forum entitled "Christianity".

Regards,

GCSTroop

Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
If you can dish it, you better be able to take it

Old 02-09-2008, 06:35 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
If you can dish it, you better be able to take it
OH, I think you know me well enough to know I can dish it but when it comes to someone drawing the cloak of christianity when its convenient and dropping it when its not, that annoys me exceedingly.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Actually if I can be upfront with my viewpoint, I think GCSTroop and Lindsey are minorities in their respective "group" as well. I find both of them generally respectful of people and not bomb throwers. I can't say that for most atheists I've run into.

Both of your input is appreciated and moreover, the way you have put it forth. I really don't see any "hate" or "degrading" for the most part in your messages which is appreciated.

Thanks to all the brothers and sisters who gave a reply. Your words are like a lamp to my feet.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Is sarcasm and condescension really a christian way to talk to people?
It can be if it`s deserved

Quote:
You come across as someone who resents the presence of people with a different set of beliefs to your own.
You mean my saying website instead of forum? That really isn`t a belief...more or less a typo. So are you saying I resent people who expose my typo`s?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
OH, I think you know me well enough to know I can dish it but when it comes to someone drawing the cloak of christianity when its convenient and dropping it when its not, that annoys me exceedingly.
Wasn't directed toward you, more of a general statement.

If Christians can start attacking the gay lifestyle, other beliefs, different beliefs, things that are opposite of the word of the Bible, etc---they better be able to handle people questioning their logic.

If a non-Christian is going to start questioning the concept of faith, how science and faith can mix, and how there can be different churches with differing beliefs but one united stance under the name of God, they too better be able to know enough of their stuff to answer some pretty difficult questions.

On the other hand, I too can dish it and take it. I've taken many punches and I have no problems throwing one or two or ten.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
It can be if it`s deserved
How judgmental to determine whether someone deserves to be talked down to. Is that what Jesus would do? Or do you only believe that when its convenient?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Was I drawing a cloak? Maybe your version of christianity and mine are different. Your not stereotyping me are you?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
How judgmental to determine whether someone deserves to be talked down to. Is that what Jesus would do? Or do you only believe that when its convenient?
I`m not sure what he would do...do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity