U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:59 AM

741 posts, read 271,105 times

Advertisements

Read the Books Jeremiah and Isaiah to learn what happens to those that turn to men and their man-made governments for their personal protection. The words describing God as a Democrat, Republican, Conservative, Labour, Liberal etc etc etc are not contained in the Bible. God is Jehovah which means, 'He Causes to Become'. My vote is for Him and His appointed King, Jesus. I'll pass on all these other choices, thanks.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 03-01-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 08:20 AM

1,784 posts, read 682,366 times
Christians used to wear these bracelets that said WWJD (what would Jesus do?).

What would Jesus do about terrorism? Could you imagine that he would say, let's execute their families? Could you imagine Jesus advocating waterboarding?

What would Jesus do about illegal immigration? Could you imagine Jesus saying round 'em up and send them back to Mexico?

Gay marriage is only the latest advance in gay rights. It wasn't that long ago that gays could be fired, refused housing and even beaten if they dared come out of the closet. Do you think Jesus would have favored that?

Given the things I hear coming from Trump and many other Republicans I find it laughable that they call themselves Christian.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the ways the Republican Party has such a tight grip on evangelicals is because most of them believe it is a sin to not vote GOP.
Do they? What a dumb idea.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 AM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
What the heck is mortal sin?
A Catholic doctrine of divvying sins into categories by degree of severity. Why the OP is applying it to evangelicals who don't follow that doctrine, I am not sure.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,280,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A Catholic doctrine of divvying sins into categories by degree of severity. Why the OP is applying it to evangelicals who don't follow that doctrine, I am not sure.
Some evangelicals do follow it, but not in the same way as Catholics do. For instance in my church growing up, homosexuality was a mortal sin and the worst one that was forgivable, even worse than murder or heterosexual rape. The only thing worse in God's eyes was blaspheming the Holy Spirit which is unforgivable.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:19 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
One of the ways the Republican Party has such a tight grip on evangelicals is because most of them believe it is a sin to not vote GOP. Even if a Christian agrees with the Democratic candidate on all issues, they cannot vote Democrat because of the party's stance on abortion and same-sex marriage. Therefore, you have a lot of people voting against their own interests because they believe it is a mortal sin if they don't. What better way to assure people will vote for you if your eternal soul is at stake if you do not?

Question is, do you believe this is the case? Personally, I don't believe the issue is that black and white and its spiritual abuse when a pastor or church ties a person's faith to their politics. What are your thoughts?
I think the democrat party stands for enough things that are evil that I could not see myself voting for them.

Having said that, as a pastor I have NEVER addressed the issue from the pulpit, and I never will. It's none of my business who my congregants vote for.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
Some evangelicals do follow it, but not in the same way as Catholics do. For instance in my church growing up, homosexuality was a mortal sin and the worst one that was forgivable, even worse than murder or heterosexual rape. The only thing worse in God's eyes was blaspheming the Holy Spirit which is unforgivable.
Your church was wrong to do that. I'm sorry that a church would do that.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 PM

20,554 posts, read 22,715,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think the democrat party stands for enough things that are evil that I could not see myself voting for them.

Having said that, as a pastor I have NEVER addressed the issue from the pulpit, and I never will. It's none of my business who my congregants vote for.
And it is ILLEGAL to promote a candidate and I believe a specific party if you have a 501c...

Old 03-01-2016, 12:23 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Thread is political in origin, hence, closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity