Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I need you to break this down for me so I can understand this line of thinking.

Here is my interpretation of why people give out of FEAR--

People FEAR being left out of God's presence--be it spiritually or in the here after (heaven) so they GIVE MONEY so they will be APPROVED by God and be BLESSED--sort of like the PROSPERITY thing--if you LOVE God give, and GIVE big. If you do not give, God ain't going to be happy with you and you might only get to be a door keeper in heaven and not reap the FULL BLESSING because you withheld money from God.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The problem with a Christian organization is that people support it financially out of FEAR rather than true concern for the needy.

Franklin Graham understands this. He learned it from his father: Fear sells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Do you say these idiotic things just to get a rise?
Really? This is NOT Captain OBVIOUS?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Here is my interpretation of why people give out of FEAR--

People FEAR being left out of God's presence--be it spiritually or in the here after (heaven) so they GIVE MONEY so they will be APPROVED by God and be BLESSED--sort of like the PROSPERITY thing--if you LOVE God give, and GIVE big. If you do not give, God ain't going to be happy with you and you might only get to be a door keeper in heaven and not reap the FULL BLESSING because you withheld money from God.

1- I think people should have some fear of being left out of God's presence.
2- So is Graham preaching towards others to give out of fear, or are the people just doing it own their own?
3- So you are saying this is all about people buying their way to God's favor out of fear.
4- Do you give money? If so, why?

I still would like Ozzy to answer - since it was his statement?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Knowledge of the Scriptures will show that you can't earn salvation/heaven/righteousness through works. Christ secured that for you through His redemptive work on the cross. We give cheerfully because we love God and His church. Scripture tells us that if you can't give cheerfully, don't bother.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1- I think people should have some fear of being left out of God's presence.
2- So is Graham preaching towards others to give out of fear, or are the people just doing it own their own?
3- So you are saying this is all about people buying their way to God's favor out of fear.
4- Do you give money? If so, why?

I still would like Ozzy to answer - since it was his statement?
1) why? I have NO FEAR of being left out--if Jesus was REAL then His word is TRUE.

2). Graham (like 85% of organized church swindlers) rely on FEAR to coax money out of people. I have know a few people who gave their last dollar and had nothing to eat and foreclosure pending--yes they lost the house)

3) YES..90%. Like the infamous Tom Monaghan (Domino's pizza wealth) built that cathedral in Central America and the "rebels" blew it to pieces--he went back and rebuilt the monstrosity when there was better things to do with his wealth--his reasoning?

He said it was better to be a servant next to God than the footman at the gate...

4) NO I do not give a mite to any organized oppressive church. I do contribute to The Christian Left, hunger agencies, domestic violence shelters, homeless folks on street corners, and a few other places that provide humanitarian aide--including a few Palestinian groups.

WHY do I give? Because that vengeful-god-in-da-tiny-box-of-archaic-dogma is UNWILLING, and UNABLE to do anything to change the man-made HATE that is so prevalent in this world that us mortals must step up and do his job.. While that god-n-their-box encourages people to kill in his name those who are GAY, support women's health and women's rights.

And because I believe health care must be universal and that MONEY is just paper that we can burn and the rich have created CLASS WARFARE and use organized religion to control the masses as it has since the dawn to time.

When I have more time I will tell you how I REALLY feel...

Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Knowledge of the Scriptures will show that you can't earn salvation/heaven/righteousness through works. Christ secured that for you through His redemptive work on the cross. We give cheerfully because we love God and His church. Scripture tells us that if you can't give cheerfully, don't bother.
A relationship with Christ will show one that scriptures are not worth the cheap paper they are printed on and that WORDS can never provide the insight that a real relationship with Christ can provide.

There is no substitute for the real thing--one either believes and lives by the bible or one believes and lives by the teachings of Jesus--ONE CANNOT DO BOTH..

Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
A relationship with Christ will show one that scriptures are not worth the cheap paper they are printed on and that WORDS can never provide the insight that a real relationship with Christ can provide.

There is no substitute for the real thing--one either believes and lives by the bible or one believes and lives by the teachings of Jesus--ONE CANNOT DO BOTH..
You would know nothing about Jesus, were it not for the Holy Scriptures.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Before I go any further with the numbered issues above, you say the Bible is worthless. You say you can't live by the teachings of Jesus and the Bible at the same time.

Haven't you quoted the Bible in your posts in the past? Or am I mistaken?

How did you come to know about Jesus apart from the Bible?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You would know nothing about Jesus, were it not for the Holy Scriptures.
Really? How can one know about Jesus when the bible is just error ridden and WRONG?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Really? How can one know about Jesus when the bible is just error ridden and WRONG?

What do you mean wrong? Did the events not happen, or do you have a problem with the teaching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity