U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 08:13 PM

17,750 posts, read 8,883,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Without the Spirit the law is arbitrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
::sigh::
Headaches can also be arbitrary or without reason.
Try taking a couple Tylenol to relieve the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 PM

17,589 posts, read 21,777,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Franklin Graham Boycotts Girl Scouts Cookies As Part Of Anti-LGBT Crusade | Right Wing Watch

You can verify this on Franklin Graham's Facebook page. All of Graham's supporters are responding with things like "Praise God" and "Down with the girl scouts and the boy scouts too."

Since when would Christ punish children in order to make a political statement? This is exactly why I am disillusioned with Christianity and haven't been to church in probably 5 months after going 4 years never missing a Sunday.

I don't think that Rev.Billy Graham would not agree. Civil rights was the issue of Rev. Graham's day. He would not preach in segregated audiences.

Franklyn Graham is a right wing ideologue. I see very little of his father in him.

I bought 12 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies this morning at church.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 AM

8,592 posts, read 11,886,406 times
Quote:
OK

Matthew 7:16-23

16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

James, the Lord's brother, said the same thing:

Someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”
So what is the "fruit" of getting rich under the guise of a religious charity?

What is the "fruit" of conservative Christians fighting against government welfare every second of their lives, then making themselves feel good about providing a small amount of help and charity to those in their community?

Some fruit is always rotten to the core. It has a name.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:12 AM

20,586 posts, read 22,739,853 times
Quote:
OK

16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

Someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”
And yet, isn't is beyond fundism that one can have WORKS without professing FAITH?

Perhaps this is why the organized oppressive churches say faith without works is dead, but works without faith is impossible? LOL.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 AM

15,167 posts, read 8,237,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Perhaps the way the law is interpreted by evangelicals is contrary to the promises of God?

But again, if humanity is no longer under the law, what punishment is there to be given?

And if all it requires is BELIEF, isn't that a ONE TIME act and nothing further is required?
Quote:
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And yet, isn't is beyond fundism that one can have WORKS without professing FAITH?

Perhaps this is why the organized oppressive churches say faith without works is dead, but works without faith is impossible? LOL.
My point was to refute your bolded above. There is no such thing as belief only. Genuine belief (from the heart) prompts a person to good works.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 AM

15,167 posts, read 8,237,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
So what is the "fruit" of getting rich under the guise of a religious charity?
I find FG's compensation as offensive as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What is the "fruit" of conservative Christians fighting against government welfare every second of their lives, then making themselves feel good about providing a small amount of help and charity to those in their community?

Some fruit is always rotten to the core. It has a name.
Now you're getting into politics. We conservatives believe the government does a crappy job of helping the poor. It has gotten so bad, welfare has become a career choice. It's become generational for many families. And it continues to suppress minorities. The churches have become lazy and let the government take over their charitable duties. While FG is at best questionable, Samaritan's Purse does good work.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:11 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,288,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think that Rev.Billy Graham would not agree. Civil rights was the issue of Rev. Graham's day. He would not preach in segregated audiences.

Franklyn Graham is a right wing ideologue. I see very little of his father in him.

I bought 12 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies this morning at church.
I think I remember reading that later in his life Billy Graham regretted getting involved in divisive political issues earlier in his career. Franklin is more Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robinson than he is Billy Graham. He can't separate his faith from his politics, which Christianity should be apolitical.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:45 PM

17,589 posts, read 21,777,388 times
Quote:
I think I remember reading that later in his life Billy Graham regretted getting involved in divisive political issues earlier in his career. Franklin is more Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robinson than he is Billy Graham. He can't separate his faith from his politics, which Christianity should be apolitical.

Perfectly said! Franklyn is Falwell and Robertson.

As Jimmy Carter has recently said, the state of American Evangelicalism has changed drastically, for the worse, in the last 30 years.

Franklyn Graham is a product of that change.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 PM

26,228 posts, read 14,109,783 times
Quote:
The older I get, I can understand that.

But we will all still have opinions, and people will want to put you in Box A or Box B.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:16 PM

8,592 posts, read 11,886,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Perfectly said! Franklyn is Falwell and Robertson.

As Jimmy Carter has recently said, the state of American Evangelicalism has changed drastically, for the worse, in the last 30 years.

Franklyn Graham is a product of that change.
Franklin and his father are both products of the political times they were born into. They both reflect the Christian values of their respective times.

Jimmy Carter is a lot more intelligent than either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or