U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 04:17 PM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I find FG's compensation as offensive as you.

Now you're getting into politics. We conservatives believe the government does a crappy job of helping the poor. It has gotten so bad, welfare has become a career choice. It's become generational for many families. And it continues to suppress minorities. The churches have become lazy and let the government take over their charitable duties. While FG is at best questionable, Samaritan's Purse does good work.
You don't seem to understand how closely politics and religion are connected. Religious faith is just a manifestation of political belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM

13,261 posts, read 4,228,306 times
I would be so proud if somebody called me a Pharisee of Pharisees.

That is a compliment.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I would be so proud if somebody called me a Pharisee of Pharisees.

That is a compliment.
Well Jesus called them "vipers." Is that you?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:09 PM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not all of them. Remember Nicodemus?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:20 PM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not all of them. Remember Nicodemus?
No, but Jesus didn't exactly call Nicodemus a bastion of faith either. When Jesus tells him he must be born again----
Quote:
Nicodemus replied, “How can these things be?”

Jesus answered, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you don’t understand these things? I tell you the solemn truth, we speak about what we know and testify about what we have seen, but you people do not accept our testimony. If I have told you people about earthly things and you don’t believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things?
John 3:9-12

Now I don't know the Greek intention of the English words "you people," but, at least in English, that is not exactly a complement. Jesus' own disciples did not always "get it" when He told them about earthly things, and He had to explain further. Yet with Nicodemus it doesn't appear Jesus was trying very hard, perhaps concluding it was an impossible task.

Nicodemus is the “cream of the Jewish crop.” One dare not dream of having life any better than he has it. He is a Jew, a Pharisee, a member of the Sanhedrin (the highest legal, legislative and judicial body of the Jews), and a highly respected teacher of the Old Testament Scriptures. Can you imagine being Nicodemus and having Jesus tell you that all of this is not enough to get you into the kingdom of God? Yet this is precisely what Jesus tells Nicodemus. If a man like Nicodemus is not good enough for the kingdom of God, then who is?

Jesus may have been MORE negative with Nicodemus than with the other less educated Pharisees. He told him he wasn't good enough for the kingdom of God.

Sometimes I understand Jesus' frustration when trying to converse with today's fundamentalists.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 PM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times
Quote:
No, but Jesus didn't exactly call Nicodemus a bastion of faith either. When Jesus tells him he must be born again----

Now I don't know the Greek intention of the English words "you people," but, at least in English, that is not exactly a complement. Jesus' own disciples did not always "get it" when He told them about earthly things, and He had to explain further. Yet with Nicodemus it doesn't appear Jesus was trying very hard, perhaps concluding it was an impossible task.

Nicodemus is the “cream of the Jewish crop.” One dare not dream of having life any better than he has it. He is a Jew, a Pharisee, a member of the Sanhedrin (the highest legal, legislative and judicial body of the Jews), and a highly respected teacher of the Old Testament Scriptures. Can you imagine being Nicodemus and having Jesus tell you that all of this is not enough to get you into the kingdom of God? Yet this is precisely what Jesus tells Nicodemus. If a man like Nicodemus is not good enough for the kingdom of God, then who is?

Jesus may have been MORE negative with Nicodemus than with the other less educated Pharisees. He told him he wasn't good enough for the kingdom of God.

Sometimes I understand Jesus' frustration when trying to converse with today's fundamentalists.
Exactly. I think Jesus was just being more polite at that point. (Or at least the writer was)

The same with Martha. She was a Pharisee because she expressed belief in the bodily resurrection.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 PM

23,262 posts, read 12,050,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Perfectly said! Franklyn is Falwell and Robertson.

As Jimmy Carter has recently said, the state of American Evangelicalism has changed drastically, for the worse, in the last 30 years.

Franklyn Graham is a product of that change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Franklin and his father are both products of the political times they were born into. They both reflect the Christian values of their respective times.

Jimmy Carter is a lot more intelligent than either of them.
Jimmy Carter is a Christian I admire. He walks the talk.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:

Nicodemus became a follower of Christ.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:

ALL THE CHURCH FATHERS WERE PHARISEES!

Paul was a Pharisee just as tens of thousands of Pharisees believed and became even more zealous for the law BECAUSE they were Pharisees.

Rome owned Israel, and you could not have an unauthorized religion. Christianity became a legal sect of Judaism recognized by Roman law, and all the fathers of this sect were Pharisees. There were two great sects{among others} for the most part and Pharisees were the group who believed in the resurrection and Jesus came to establish Judaism, not to abolish it, and where there was wicked Pharisees in high places, it is this way with many religions, but nevertheless, Jesus said that we have to do what they say because they STILL sit in the seat of Moses, and that we had better keep the law better than they did. Paul and all the disciples proved their loyalty to the authorities of the circumcision church of Jerusalem. They submitted to their authorities time and time again even with Paul making sacrifices under the authority of the priests of Judaism to prove his innocence lest he be put to death by teaching Jews not to keep the laws of Moses.

Time and time again they proved through court proceeding after court proceeding that they recognized the authority of the circumcision church of Jerusalem and they proved without a doubt that they never left Judaism, and they never, ever stopped being Pharisees.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:21 PM

A Pharisee on Trial.

Paul Before the Sanhedrin
5And Paul said, "I was not aware, brethren, that he was high priest; for it is written, 'YOU SHALL NOT SPEAK EVIL OF A RULER OF YOUR PEOPLE.'" 6But perceiving that one group were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, Paul began crying out in the Council, "Brethren, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees; I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead!" 7As he said this, there occurred a dissension between the Pharisees and Sadducees, and the assembly was divided.…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or