U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 07:23 PM

13,280 posts, read 4,238,900 times

Advertisements

Some of the Pharisee Christians were not so sure on what to do with Gentiles.

The Council at Jerusalem
5But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, "It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses." 6The apostles and the elders came together to look into this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:17 PM

8,585 posts, read 5,115,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nicodemus became a follower of Christ.
That is at best conjecture.
Quote:
I have removed this article from the category "follower of Jesus", as the Gospel of John, in which Nicodemus solely appears, does not warrant this label. Nicodemus is described as a Pharisee who is on friendly terms with Jesus, has a discussion with him by night early in the latter's ministry, insists on due process in Jesus' case and assists in his burial. That does not imply that he had become a disciple - in contrast to Joseph of Arimathia who is unambiguously called a "disciple, albeit in secret".

Later, tradition considered Nicodemus a Christian, even a martyr and thus he was included among the Saints. But the same thing happened with Gamaliel too - a Pharisee who had contact of a a positive nature with Christianity. Other sources do paint a different picture: that Gamaliel lived and died a Pharisee, in fact the leading Pharisee, and brought forth a dynasty of leaders of Judaism. The difference is of course that we clearly know Gamaliel from other sources, while the identification of Nicodemus with Nicodemus ben Gurion is conjecture. So someone could paint Nicodemus according to Christian tradition and distinguish Nicodemus ben Gurion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ANicodemus

I prefer to let Scripture speak for itself rather than create a story around it.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 5,732,020 times
Quote:
There is no FEAR and OPPRESSION in Christ, but rather FORGIVENESS, REDEMPTION and SALVATION.
Except his feeling that a slave who doesn't listen to his master needs to be beaten with "many stripes". Not really a nice guy, was he?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why would a Christian leader want to support something that directly opposes the Gospel?
Yes, the Gospel (and the rest of the bible), is famous for not respecting human rights. Rape is endorsed, slavery championed, genocide promoted and misogyny preached.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Not really. Fundamentalist preachers dare to suggest that a behavior is sinful and the LGBTQLDSOS community gets in a tizzy.
Did you choose your sexual orientation?

Do you think homosexual/lesbians do?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I only let repentant Christians teach Sunday School in my church, sorry. I would also deny the adulterer, or drunkard from teaching.
Good thing y'all don't live in the south... you'd have one heck of a time screening out all the adulterers. And drunkards.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you asking prospective Sunday School teachers about their sex lives?
To early, etc.

Now, if Vizio was a catholic priest, he'd know because of confession.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I have confronted people when it's obvious. For example, our church piano player's boyfriend moved in. It's my job to call her to repentance.
I don't remember Jesus performing too many marriage ceremonies. Or even knowing about them.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 AM

15,146 posts, read 8,229,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I don't remember Jesus performing too many marriage ceremonies. Or even knowing about them.
Since you are a Jesus "expert", you should know the following to be true.

Quote:
There is no FEAR and OPPRESSION in Christ, but rather FORGIVENESS, REDEMPTION and SALVATION.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:32 AM

23,283 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
Yeah. It's his maniacal old man you have to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or