U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:10 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,398,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Only liberals are allowed to make these types of protests.
Protesting is an ancient tradition. In the U.S. Franklin has the right to protest the LGBTQ community. (How boycotting delicious cookies, sold by fresh-faced, happy Girl Scouts, is a protest of the LGBTQ community remains to be explained. Maybe he doesn't know any actual gay people to shake his finger at so he's decided a cookie boycott is the next-best thing.)

Those who don't agree with him have the right to say whatever we want about him and his cookie-boycott and buy as many cookies as we want. The LGBTQ community and it's supporters community has the right to protest Franklin Graham.

It's a great country.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-01-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 01:14 PM

6,822 posts, read 3,144,642 times
Quote:
Only liberals are allowed to make these types of protests.

-------------------------------

As far as Graham goes, this seems like a worldly way to deal with the LGBT issue - no purchases of cookies... hit them in the wallet. Ultimately I don't know what God is telling him and I don't know if Graham is listening.
You too can purchase a box of Trefoils. It is understandable if you are unable to resist opening the box, while driving home. In that case, send him a sleeve.

Only a cookie lover would send a box of beloved cookies to a twit. I do it for the love of cookies.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You too can purchase a box of Trefoils. It is understandable if you are unable to resist opening the box, while driving home. In that case, send him a sleeve.

Only a cookie lover would send a box of beloved cookies to a twit. I do it for the love of cookies.
I was a Girl Scout in a VERY politically conservative community. Every once in while a few of the extremists would get all riled up and start saying the Girl Scouts were going to turn us into God-hating commies*. Franklin reminds me of them. He's stuck in the way-back machine.

*Didn't happen. Judging by what I read on FB most of them are loyal Tea Party/Republicans.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:28 PM

15,240 posts, read 8,259,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was a Girl Scout in a VERY politically conservative community. Every once in while a few of the extremists would get all riled up and start saying the Girl Scouts were going to turn us into God-hating commies*. Franklin reminds me of them. He's stuck in the way-back machine.

*Didn't happen. Judging by what I read on FB most of them are loyal Tea Party/Republicans.
Those damn Republicans!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Those damn Republicans!
You sure do swear a lot.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Willing to bet he will just reject fundism and disown evangelicalism and replace FEAR and OPPRESSION with LOVE, MERCY and JUSTICE to make this world a better place.
There is no FEAR and OPPRESSION in Christ, but rather FORGIVENESS, REDEMPTION and SALVATION.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You sure do swear a lot.
Only about Fundamentalists & Republicans.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:47 PM

7,256 posts, read 3,302,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Willing to bet he will just reject fundism and disown evangelicalism and replace FEAR and OPPRESSION with LOVE, MERCY and JUSTICE to make this world a better place.
I'll put it this way. If I am friends with somebody on Facebook and I see they follow Franklin Graham, I lose a ton of respect for them. The reason is Franklin Graham isn't preaching the Christian gospel. He is preaching politics, divisiveness, hatred, and bigotry. In my opinion he is by far one of the most dangerous figures in modern Christianity. He has a big bullhorn and people listen because of his last name. If it wasn't for being the son of Billy Graham (who he is nothing like) he would likely not be taken seriously except by the most fringe segment of evangelicalism and be regarded in the same way as people like Scott Lively or Kevin Swanson.

And yes, I have been disillusioned with evangelicalism for quite some time because of people like Franklin Graham and his followers. It's been difficult for me to go to church ever since the SCOTUS decision (when my dad's church decided to burn a rainbow flag) and in the past five months or so I haven't went at all.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 PM

26,271 posts, read 14,144,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'll put it this way. If I am friends with somebody on Facebook and I see they follow Franklin Graham, I lose a ton of respect for them. The reason is Franklin Graham isn't preaching the Christian gospel. He is preaching politics, divisiveness, hatred, and bigotry. In my opinion he is by far one of the most dangerous figures in modern Christianity. He has a big bullhorn and people listen because of his last name. If it wasn't for being the son of Billy Graham (who he is nothing like) he would likely not be taken seriously except by the most fringe segment of evangelicalism and be regarded in the same way as people like Scott Lively or Kevin Swanson.

And yes, I have been disillusioned with evangelicalism for quite some time because of people like Franklin Graham and his followers. It's been difficult for me to go to church ever since the SCOTUS decision (when my dad's church decided to burn a rainbow flag) and in the past five months or so I haven't went at all.
Forget Graham - where you at with Christ?

Old 03-01-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Forget Graham - where you at with Christ?

Where is Graham with Christ?

Let's see....he inherited his father's job and all the goodies like a private jet, he makes $622,000/year running his charity and he tells people to boycott Wells Fargo and cookies because he thinks the LGBTQ are sinners headed for hell. I'm not seeing Christ in any of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or