U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 04:02 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,978,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You skipped a question. Again. Are you asking people about their sex lives?
I have confronted people when it's obvious. For example, our church piano player's boyfriend moved in. It's my job to call her to repentance.
Quote:

How about the drunkards?
I have preached on it. But to be honest, none of the people that have asked to be teachers have this issue....that I know of.
Quote:

Or are you listening to gossip and basing your decision on what you heard at the feed store?
Gossip, no. But I do know a few people in my congregation that have drinking problems and it's common knowledge. And no--we don't meet at the feed store. We have a table at the local post office where we like to gather for coffee in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 04:13 PM

15,159 posts, read 8,237,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Public sin should not be tolerated, especially by church leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Right. Like their church leadership, they should sin in private.
Well, we can't do the following, now can we?

Quote:
You skipped a question. Again. Are you asking people about their sex lives? How about the drunkards? Are you interviewing prospective teachers and asking, "How many beers did you knock back during the Super Bowl"?

Or are you listening to gossip and basing your decision on what you heard at the feed store
?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:21 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,351,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But I do know a few people in my congregation that have drinking problems and it's common knowledge.
"Common knowledge" means someone is spreading gossip. The Post Office is a GREAT place for that. My goodness....all that coffee drinking....you probably have the scoop on pretty much everyone in Podunk. As they do you.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
"Common knowledge" means someone is spreading gossip. The Post Office is a GREAT place for that. My goodness....all that coffee drinking....you probably have the scoop on pretty much everyone in Podunk. As they do you.
No...it means that she tells me directly that he moved in, and wants me to be happy for her that she found someone after her husband died a few years ago. As for the drunkards, it means seeing them drunk at community gatherings, hearing from their family that they drink way too much, and watching them leave the bar in the evening. Or watching them play softball and barely be able to swing the bat by the 2nd game because they are blitzed.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Well, we can't do the following, now can we?
Do YOU listen to gossip, jimmie? I go to the post office AFTER the gossips have had their coffee.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM

8,582 posts, read 11,886,406 times
Quote:
So, you just made that up. Nice.

I doubt if FG is expecting anything from the children that were helped by Samaritan's Purse.
If you don't consider him to be wealthy then write him a check. It's your money.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
As for the drunkards, it means seeing them drunk at community gatherings, hearing from their family that they drink way too much, and watching them leave the bar in the evening. Or watching them play softball and barely be able to swing the bat by the 2nd game because they are blitzed.
Maybe you should spend less time on the internet and start an AA chapter. Drinking coffee at the post office and watching softball games does nothing to help people.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should spend less time on the internet and start an AA chapter. Drinking coffee at the post office and watching softball games does nothing to help people.
Getting to know them so I can speak to their lives and lead them to Christ will do much more than any AA chapter would.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:08 PM

8,593 posts, read 5,120,460 times
Quote:
Public sin should not be tolerated, especially by church leadership.
Yes, jimmie, conservative Christians love to force LGBTQ people into the closet. Literally they had to hide themselves in order to worship. I dated a gal briefly in college who had a brother, also in college, who could play a gospel piano better than Hovey Lister (look him up). He got his degree in Bible from our Southern Baptist college and became a preacher at an Indiana Southern Baptist Church. He had characteristics that were similar to many homosexuals. Some ten years after graduation he died of Aids, never able to openly say who he was. But I knew he loved God.

So does Rev. Mel White, who wrote in his autobiography (Stranger at the Gate) how he grew up in an evangelical household hiding his attraction to men, became a leader in his church youth movement, eventually graduated college and went to Fuller Theological Seminary, got his M.Div degree and ghost wrote books for Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham and others. In the process he got married to a high school friend, had two children, went to "pray away the gay" seminars, undertook electric shock therapy and did all the BS that you and your bigoted buddies say they must do. Nothing worked. Eventually he told his wife on advice from a Christian psychiatrist. They remained together five years beyond that before finally separating. She wrote the forward to his autobiography after they divorced.

You and Vizio are some those destroying lives by forcing them into a closet in order to live for God. If you had an ounce of empathy or even were willing to search your own hearts you would both read his book of struggles with what his faith falsely teaches and how his own physical makeup controlled his sexual orientation. But that is the problem with fundamentalism. When it infects the mind that mind avoids anything that might cause it to consider anything else. And fundamentalists will even have bible verses to defend why they won't read anything that might remotely make a change in their thinking.

So preach and teach what you want. Franklin Graham might even help you find verses to protect you from trying to discover for yourself who the LGBTQ are. But those of us who were formerly fundamentalist see just what kind of rock hard hearts all of you have. It makes Jesus weep.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Getting to know them so I can speak to their lives and lead them to Christ will do much more than any AA chapter would.
So......God has called you to sit and drink coffee to lead people to Christ. Or is that a technique they taught you while you were learning how to be a pastor? "If your sermons aren't doing the trick.... have coffee with the sinners."

Whichever. Nice gig! A LOT of people would love to have a job where they are paid to sit and yap with their neighbors. Franklin Graham gets paid to tell people to boycott cookies and you get paid to drink coffee. Beats punching a time clock at the factory.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-02-2016 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or