U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 AM

20,594 posts, read 22,750,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I don't thank God's too invested in Hollywood. Ones relationship with God should be fostered individually, not through tv. Not saying stimulus can't be a spark ...

That's my 2 cents anyway
But if he is invested in government, women's health care and such wouldn't be vested in a movie that is supposed to tell His story??

And according to Seattle Seahawks quarter back Russell Wilson, God cares about the Superbowl..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:10 AM

4,754 posts, read 1,824,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But if he is invested in government, women's health care and such wouldn't be vested in a movie that is supposed to tell His story??

And according to Seattle Seahawks quarter back Russell Wilson, God cares about the Superbowl..
I'm very familiar with Russell wilson all the way back to nc state.

I just don't get into either the proselytizing or the mocking on the topic. Kind of bores me.

Movies are entertainment and I leave it at that. And I'm a Raiders fan, tattoo on leg and all. So I'm really not interested in a Seahawk!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:25 AM

26,246 posts, read 14,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

He has told His story already. The movie is unnecessary.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 AM

852 posts, read 572,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
So, any feedback on Risen from anyone? Entertaining? Thought provoking?
I was reluctant to see it simply because most of the recent Hollywood movies of this genre have been so off the mark. Without ruining the movie for those who plan to see it let's just say I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't seek to preach or to offend and disguise it as artistic interpretation of the Biblical story (i.e "Noah"). Rather, for me anyway, the take away was how a person's journey through life can lead down an unexpected yet satisfying path.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:47 AM

58,520 posts, read 31,909,570 times
We went to see it, and it was ok. Of course the Bible does not speak about such 'investigation' but its an interesting idea. The fact that the actor for Jesus was Pablo Escobar, the cocaine trafficker, in another movie was a little strange.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We went to see it, and it was ok. Of course the Bible does not speak about such 'investigation' but its an interesting idea. The fact that the actor for Jesus was Pablo Escobar, the cocaine trafficker, in another movie was a little strange.
He was also smiley from training day, tiktik from 10000 bc, firelird ozai from the last airbender and he's Travis on fear the walking dead. Lol

I like him as an actor.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,055,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The reviews I've read suggest it's a good movie that mostly got things correct. I plan on renting it when it goes to DVD. Our closest theater is an hour away and we just don't go to movies.
Wikipedia
Risen (2016 Film)
Plot
Clavius, a powerful Roman Tribune, is charged by Pontius Pilate to investigate the rumors of a risen Jewish messiah and to locate the missing body of Yeshua (Jesus of Nazareth), in order to quell an imminent uprising in Jerusalem during the first 40 days following Christ's resurrection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risen_(2016_film)

Since the plot of the movie is entirely fictional and is based on no scriptural or historical events whatsoever, how can it possibly be claimed that the movie "mostly got things correct?" The best that might be said is that the film nicely corresponds to what Christians imagine such a task would be like. The movie is essentially a work of Christian fantasy.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:24 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,984,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Wikipedia
Risen (2016 Film)
Plot
Clavius, a powerful Roman Tribune, is charged by Pontius Pilate to investigate the rumors of a risen Jewish messiah and to locate the missing body of Yeshua (Jesus of Nazareth), in order to quell an imminent uprising in Jerusalem during the first 40 days following Christ's resurrection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risen_(2016_film)

Since the plot of the movie is entirely fictional and is based on no scriptural or historical events whatsoever, how can it possibly be claimed that the movie "mostly got things correct?" The best that might be said is that the film nicely corresponds to what Christians imagine such a task would be like. The movie is essentially a work of Christian fantasy.
Just reading what was in the review. I guess it's a good thing that they have nothing crazy like King David making an appearance, or Genghis Khan, or something. They seem to have actually gotten the story of the fact that he was crucified and the body disappeared correct.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,055,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Just reading what was in the review. I guess it's a good thing that they have nothing crazy like King David making an appearance, or Genghis Khan, or something. They seem to have actually gotten the story of the fact that he was crucified and the body disappeared correct.
It does raise the question of why Pilate, who turned the body over to Jesus' followers in the first place, would bother tasking a Roman Tribune with determining what happened to it?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM

Why did I know that somehow this would take a religious/non-religious direction vs whether it was worth seeing in a theater or wait for Netflix.

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity