U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM

3,032 posts, read 1,049,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Really? Did you not read the verse? Whose soldiers were they? Do you think they were Jewish?
Absolutely the Jews had their own men. They were known as the Jewish Temple Guard, technically neophyte priests, but in reality very highly trained fighting men whose job it was to protect the sanctity of the Jewish Temple. Protocol would have dictated that the Chief priests of the nation have a contingent of these men already right at hand as members of their personal bodyguard when on business to the Roman governor. It is to this group that Pilate is indicating when he points out to the priests that "You have a guard."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...26&version=CEV

[i]Luke 22:
[52] Then Jesus said unto the chief priests, and captains of the temple, and the elders, which were come to him, Be ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and staves?

John.18
[12] Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,

Acts.4
[1] And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

Acts.5
[24] Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.
[26] Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 03:21 PM

13,280 posts, read 4,238,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Absolutely the Jews had their own men. They were known as the Jewish Temple Guard, technically neophyte priests, but in reality very highly trained fighting men whose job it was to protect the sanctity of the Jewish Temple. Protocol would have dictated that the Chief priests of the nation have a contingent of these men already right at hand as members of their personal bodyguard when on business to the Roman governor. It is to this group that Pilate is indicating when he points out to the priests that "You have a guard."

[i]Luke 22:
[52] Then Jesus said unto the chief priests, and captains of the temple, and the elders, which were come to him, Be ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and staves?

John.18
[12] Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,

Acts.4
[1] And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

Acts.5
[24] Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.
[26] Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.

One has to wonder about a lot of people in high places. Jerusalem had become a province of Rome and I can't help but think that the Romans easily excelled who they wanted to excel. I look at Herod more of a Samaritan than I would ever see him as a Jew, a half breed.

But his hands show what he is, and it didn't look like a Jew to me.

But then I am not certain about all that, but after 30 years of Roman rule and Rome deciding who is who seems like it would come with the territory, putting evil men in high places.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
One has to wonder about a lot of people in high places. Jerusalem had become a province of Rome and I can't help but think that the Romans easily excelled who they wanted to excel. I look at Herod more of a Samaritan than I would ever see him as a Jew, a half breed.

But his hands show what he is, and it didn't look like a Jew to me.

But then I am not certain about all that, but after 30 years of Roman rule and Rome deciding who is who seems like it would come with the territory, putting evil men in high places.
Whether true or not, this is entirely beside the point. Which was that the Jewish priests had a contingent of well trained fighting men right at hand whose very job is was TO BE GUARDS. Claiming that the Jewish priests had no such men at their disposal displays an alarming lack of understanding of the facts for a self proclaimed preacher.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:42 PM

37,500 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
It is a MOVIE. Every historical movie takes some Liberty.
Christians: if it doesn't mesh with your literal understanding of the bible, it's a movie
Atheists/agnostics: if it helps you 'debunk' what over 2 billion view as an historical event, it's a movie
Historians: it's a movie
if one isn't interested in seeing it, then don't.
A voice of reason!!

Old 03-04-2016, 04:39 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,970,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

[i]Luke 22:

John.18

Acts.4

Acts.5
Umm...no. Not really. Nice try, though.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:57 PM

23,293 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Quote:
"There are none so blind...."

Old 03-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
How dare I point out to you that the Bible completely contradicts your declarations, when you know for a fact that the Bible can always be relied on to jump through the hoops of your expectations no matter what.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 1,821,174 times
I'm still going to watch it... Even though smiley from training day plays the role of Jesus.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 AM

26,201 posts, read 14,096,059 times
Saw the movie last night (not my original plan)... it seemed like a high end church production. You know how at Christmas and Easter, churches will do a drama to depict a story in the Bible. That's what it felt like to me. That's not to say it was a cheap production - but more so toward the storyline.

The details were relatively accurate. They added in a storyline to try and keep one's interest.

The most interesting thing for me was having the movie place you back in that time frame and experience the human reactions to Jesus defeating death and how people reacted to it.

If you are looking for the "WOW" factor, don't go. It's not a bad movie, but it's not a great movie either.

Mrs. DRob, who goes to the movies much more than myself, was not impressed - in that she had expectations, but the movie went in a different direction. Our church rented out that theater - so our pastor gave a little message afterwards that fit the moment and encouraged us to disperse and share the gospel.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 1,821,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Saw the movie last night (not my original plan)... it seemed like a high end church production. You know how at Christmas and Easter, churches will do a drama to depict a story in the Bible. That's what it felt like to me. That's not to say it was a cheap production - but more so toward the storyline.

The details were relatively accurate. They added in a storyline to try and keep one's interest.

The most interesting thing for me was having the movie place you back in that time frame and experience the human reactions to Jesus defeating death and how people reacted to it.

If you are looking for the "WOW" factor, don't go. It's not a bad movie, but it's not a great movie either.

Mrs. DRob, who goes to the movies much more than myself, was not impressed - in that she had expectations, but the movie went in a different direction. Our church rented out that theater - so our pastor gave a little message afterwards that fit the moment and encouraged us to disperse and share the gospel.
Thanks drob. Good, but more red box or Netflix--e . And spend the 7 in savings on Easter candy. Lol

'Pur-she-ate-it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity