U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 AM

26,246 posts, read 14,124,700 times

Advertisements

Matthew 4:1Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Usually when we think of God’s impact on our life, it is positive. He helps us. He protects us. He delivers us. So why does the Holy Spirit send Jesus Christ to the wilderness to be tempted? What’s the point?

If you know Scripture, you know that God has done this before. Adam and Eve were tempted in the garden. They didn’t do so well. Israel was sent into the wilderness to be tempted.

In Exodus 4:22, the Lord says Israel is my son. That son was baptized (1 Cor. 10:1-2) and then subjected to the wilderness for 40 years. And if you want to know the heart of God on why He tests people, here it is…

Deuteronomy 8:2“You shall remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
The Lord then goes through how He has led and fed Israel in the wilderness, and then says…

Deuteronomy 8:16-17 “In the wilderness He fed you manna which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do good for you in the end. “Otherwise, you may say in your heart, `My power and the strength of my hand made me this wealth.’
In Matthew 4, we see the true Son (Matt. 3:17) being baptized and then subjected to temptation in the wilderness for 40 days. Thankfully, He passed the test. Otherwise, He would be no better than us, and He definitely would not have been able to defeat death and save those who are in Him.

So what’s the point? God wants to humble us to the point that we understand that any blessing we have is from Him. God also wants to test our hearts and our faith to see if we will keep His commandments. In the end, His testing will benefit us, if we pass the test. Also, don’t be surprised or caught off guard if you find yourself in a test. If God tested Jesus, we will be tested as well. Therefore, expect that tests will come, and prepare yourself ahead of time by regularly meeting with God and reading/meditating on the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:31 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,786,119 times
Amen, yes He does....

Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,063,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Matthew 4:1Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Usually when we think of God’s impact on our life, it is positive. He helps us. He protects us. He delivers us. So why does the Holy Spirit send Jesus Christ to the wilderness to be tempted? What’s the point?

If you know Scripture, you know that God has done this before. Adam and Eve were tempted in the garden. They didn’t do so well. Israel was sent into the wilderness to be tempted.

In Exodus 4:22, the Lord says Israel is my son. That son was baptized (1 Cor. 10:1-2) and then subjected to the wilderness for 40 years. And if you want to know the heart of God on why He tests people, here it is…

Deuteronomy 8:2“You shall remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
The Lord then goes through how He has led and fed Israel in the wilderness, and then says…

Deuteronomy 8:16-17 “In the wilderness He fed you manna which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do good for you in the end. “Otherwise, you may say in your heart, `My power and the strength of my hand made me this wealth.’
In Matthew 4, we see the true Son (Matt. 3:17) being baptized and then subjected to temptation in the wilderness for 40 days. Thankfully, He passed the test. Otherwise, He would be no better than us, and He definitely would not have been able to defeat death and save those who are in Him.

So what’s the point? God wants to humble us to the point that we understand that any blessing we have is from Him. God also wants to test our hearts and our faith to see if we will keep His commandments. In the end, His testing will benefit us, if we pass the test. Also, don’t be surprised or caught off guard if you find yourself in a test. If God tested Jesus, we will be tested as well. Therefore, expect that tests will come, and prepare yourself ahead of time by regularly meeting with God and reading/meditating on the Bible.
There are A LOT of people who think that they won't be tested.
They EXPECT God to whisk them away before the going gets really tough.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:49 AM

598 posts, read 241,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Bless you DRob

In the midst of all the messages claimed to be coming from God, but by those who do not know God being heard coming from pulpits every Sunday saying, "this is the year of your breakthrough for financial wealth and payback from those who have robbed you," you have the courage to present the truth.

For this I salute you.........

Because the truth is, Thus saith the Lord, this is the year you will be seen either clothed, (righteous garments) or naked, having lost what you thought you already had".

Matthew 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

God is to be feared (should He depart us) and to be worshipped in Spirit and in Truth!!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:08 PM

15,202 posts, read 8,247,063 times
“Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”
**James‬ *1:2-4‬ *

Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 PM

7,867 posts, read 6,675,483 times
I do not believe that God test people , but God will prove himself ................ See from James 1:12-18........ Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial , having stood the test , that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him .............When tempted , no one should say, `God is tempting me ` ..for God cannot be tempted by evil , nor does he tempt anyone , but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. . The after desire has conceived it gives birth to sin , when it is full-grown , gives birth to death .......Don`t be deceived , my dear brother and sister ...Every good and perfect gift is from above , coming down from the Father of Heavenly lights , who does not change like shifting shadows ...He chose to give us birth through the Word of truth , that we might be kind of first fruits of all he created ``...............................See God is not there with this thumb on people ready to put them out .............See God gives good gifts , and will bless people who humble themselves persistently to His Word .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity