U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 08:27 AM

4,221 posts, read 1,965,214 times

Advertisements

So in John 14 Jesus says He will send the Holy Spirit to those who keep His commandments. Most Christians say they try to keep His commandments but fail one way or another and yet believe the holy Spirit guides them. How can the Holy Spirit guide them if they fail?

Jesus said those who love Him keep His commandments and keep His word. Is it possible His commandments are the word of God not just the ten commandments and such?

He said to abide in His love one must keep His commandments just as He kept His Fathers commandments. He said the Father commanded Him what to say so that would be the word of God. So keeping the word of God as Jesus did and one will have the Holy Spirit to guide them and teach them.

Remember Jesus said to know the truth one must continue in His word so if we do this we will know the truth and the Holy Spirit has done the teaching.

In reality, if the son frees you, you shall truly be free because you will have kept God's word and abide in his love.

John 14:

15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. 17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them." 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?" 23 Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me. 25 "I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,784,110 times
Amen

Old 03-04-2016, 08:59 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,978,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
So in John 14 Jesus says He will send the Holy Spirit to those who keep His commandments. Most Christians say they try to keep His commandments but fail one way or another and yet believe the holy Spirit guides them. How can the Holy Spirit guide them if they fail?

Jesus said those who love Him keep His commandments and keep His word. Is it possible His commandments are the word of God not just the ten commandments and such?

He said to abide in His love one must keep His commandments just as He kept His Fathers commandments. He said the Father commanded Him what to say so that would be the word of God. So keeping the word of God as Jesus did and one will have the Holy Spirit to guide them and teach them.

Remember Jesus said to know the truth one must continue in His word so if we do this we will know the truth and the Holy Spirit has done the teaching.

In reality, if the son frees you, you shall truly be free because you will have kept God's word and abide in his love.

John 14:

15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. 17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them." 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?" 23 Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me. 25 "I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.
The sad fact is that none of us can keep his commands perfectly. But those that love God will TRY to do so.

But the main thing we are commanded to do is to believe in the Son.

John 6:29 "Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”"

Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The sad fact is that none of us can keep his commands perfectly. But those that love God will TRY to do so.

But the main thing we are commanded to do is to believe in the Son.

John 6:29 "Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”"
We can do it if we have understanding and walk in it.

Believing in Him is doing His works as He defined it.

"Those who believe in me shall do the works I do"

The problem is people misunderstand what those works are but He describes it here; "The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works."

So in the above verse He says the words of God which He spoke are the works of God that He does. That is why He sent His followers with the same words given to Him per John 17.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM

7,861 posts, read 6,669,826 times
During the great judgment of antichrist in the end of the age of grace , God says from Revelation 14:12...``here is the patience of the saints, here are those who keep the commandments of God and have faith of Jesus ``................. See during these hard times for God. He shows who He is blessing

Old 03-04-2016, 03:48 PM

4,583 posts, read 2,270,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
During the great judgment of antichrist in the end of the age of grace , God says from Revelation 14:12...``here is the patience of the saints, here are those who keep the commandments of God and have faith of Jesus ``................. See during these hard times for God. He shows who He is blessing
There is No one antichrist person at the end of this world of badness.- 1st Thess. 5:2-3

When ' they ' ( <-plural ) are saying, "Peace and Security " that is the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.

We are nearing the ' final phase ' of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8, so that means we are also nearing the ' final signal ' of 1st Thess. 5:2-3 when 'they ' ( powers that be ) will be saying peace but that does Not mean there is peace on earth but just saying ' peace ' before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:30 PM

4,066 posts, read 1,456,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post

John 14:

Jesus gave us 2 commandments---Love God with your whole heart, soul, mind and strength----Love your neighbor as yourself.

Few have this love-- Jesus taught--Few will find the road that leads off into life( in Gods kingdom)

Even Hitler, bin Laden, Etc,Etc had love for their family and friends, The love Jesus spoke about is to go to every mortal on earth, not just family and friends.
The majority has--premeditated--return evil for evil in their hearts. The opposite of the love Jesus spoke of.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Jesus gave us 2 commandments---Love God with your whole heart, soul, mind and strength----Love your neighbor as yourself.

Few have this love-- Jesus taught--Few will find the road that leads off into life( in Gods kingdom)

Even Hitler, bin Laden, Etc,Etc had love for their family and friends, The love Jesus spoke about is to go to every mortal on earth, not just family and friends.
The majority has--premeditated--return evil for evil in their hearts. The opposite of the love Jesus spoke of.
Man's love is not what Jesus spoke of. He said to abide in His love by keeping His commandments just as He kept His Father's commandments. He said those who love Him keep His word. So it shows that the words of God are the commandments as Jesus said that the Father commanded Him what to say so in turn those who are sent as He was sent must do the same.

The one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. I'm the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me the same way my Father knows me and I know my Father.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 PM

17,750 posts, read 8,883,926 times
It says, this is my son, listen to him.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It says, this is my son, listen to him.

Yes, listen to the truth.

Whoever is of the truth hears my voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or