U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 22,709,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't mind giving you one:

You, Vizio, Finn, Twin, DRob, Livelystone, ChoirBellower, Hushpreacher et al.

You're known by your rotten fruit.
OUCH...now that is what may be referred to being OUTTED and called on their GMO fruits...

Not sure why it is so difficult for people to own up as to who they really are--those who would oppress others and hold back the lest of us ought to be proud enough to say it PUBLICLY. They seem to have no problem telling others they are wrong and not on the fast track to Gawd, that so many live in denial and feel the need to justify their bigotry via Jesus is really quite disturbing.

OH NO, there are books on this thread fundies do not like--fundies have never read them (or may be a fundie has read 2 -3) but all fundies know the books are all vile/evil writings--OTHERWISE the fundies' church would have told the fundies to read them--The fundies' church always tells the faithful fundie what is GOOD and RIGHTEOUS and if the fundie does not hear it from the fundie church--IT IS BAAAAAAD.

Might I suggest the same applies to the bible? I have read it like 100 times and have found it to be a complete waste of my time, yet I have GREAT interest in reading other historical books that deal with God on a more realistic basis and are actually more PRACTICAL in terms of FAITH, revelation and ministry.

Perhaps when a few real christians finish reading one or two of these books they can POST an honest summary and not some dogmatic driven opinion?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:19 AM

26,195 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Might I suggest the same applies to the bible? I have read it like 100 times and have found it to be a complete waste of my time,
This is amazing... in the light that you quote from it regularly, yet it's a complete waste of time.

You read it 100 times - and it was a complete waste of time. I am at a loss to comprehend this...

Old 03-07-2016, 08:41 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,121,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Since you read it, care to share a reason or two why it was a waste of time?
I don't think orthodox Christianity should be turned into a fuzzy, New Age, sideshow.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:10 AM

26,195 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I don't think orthodox Christianity should be turned into a fuzzy, New Age, sideshow.
Fair enough.

I read a blog from one of the authors - and it talked of seven stages of faith - and it was based on one's age. Clearly new age mumbo jumbo.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 AM

12,900 posts, read 4,920,152 times
I really should try to become some kind of spiritual guru. Getting paid a lot of money to BS...nice work if you can get it.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:14 AM

15,128 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
When did I say I was a judge? COMPREHENSION is important as well as a\n understanding of the ENGLISH language?
Post #20 for one example.

Quote:
BUT, since some insist on handing me the gavel, I will ask who has given evangelicals the "right" to judge the:

LGBT community No one, unless they want to use the wrong bathroom

women who exercises her right to health care those who care for the innocent

Marginalized and attempt to strip health care from them taxpayers

those in poverty and try to cut the support out from under them taxpayers

Old 03-07-2016, 10:15 AM

15,128 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I really should try to become some kind of spiritual guru. Getting paid a lot of money to BS...nice work if you can get it.
Ask Vizio what his salary is.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Ask Vizio what his salary is.
Do you consider Vizio a spiritual guru?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM

15,540 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Quote:
one side judges = intellect

the other side judges = bigot

You can't have a fruitful discussion under these standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Let's try to make the distinction ONE MORE TIME:
Bigotry= judgement without reason
Intellect= the use of reason.

Do you have the second quality enough to understand this?
Quote:
I made that appropriate clarifications to your post above.
No, DEob4JC, you added "that I agree with" to the definitions, but that is ALSO a failure to use reason: you have been given valid reasons to reconsider your poosition on some issues and YOUR "Reason" is to fall back on authority even when it does njot make sense. Even when you are shown that you might just be misunderstanding the intent of your "authority" you just say "this is what it says and I believe thise about it."

That is not reason, it is bigotry.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

If you want your world rocked, then these books are for you.

If you want to come closer to Christ, I would suggest going elsewhere.
Christ was all about getting out of the box. It got Him killed. Denominational Christianity is all about drawing lines that they declare cannot be crossed.

If one wants to follow Christ it is all about staying away from, or trying to change, organized religion. Jesus called the religious leaders of His day "whitewashed tombs" filled with rottenness. Churches today are too frequently the exact same thing. They are filled with dead souls who believe following rules (staying away from the current sin of the day) somehow puts them on a path to heaven.

The great advances in Christianity have all been by those thinking outside the box--all through history and no less today. But the power of the Pharisee is like the ocean tide. No matter how far up the beach some Christians make it, inevitably the appeal of Pharisaical religion pulls many back into the nothingness of the ocean so that once again the swirling waters are under control of the mightiest force for evil that claims to be standing for good.

Just like my grandfather, religion blinds the vast, vast majority of churchgoers to their unloving and controlling actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or