U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 AM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is amazing... in the light that you quote from it regularly, yet it's a complete waste of time.

You read it 100 times - and it was a complete waste of time. I am at a loss to comprehend this...
Yet no matter how many times you've read the Bible, the basic theme has passed you by. I am at a loss to comprehend this---but historically that seems to be right on target. Denominational Christians are simply incapable of thinking outside the box.

And, yes, you may consider this post as one bringing controversy. WWJD? He would stand up to Pharisees and tell them they had searched Scripture and gleaned nothing from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM

20,551 posts, read 22,709,293 times
Quote:
This is amazing... in the light that you quote from it regularly, yet it's a complete waste of time.

You read it 100 times - and it was a complete waste of time. I am at a loss to comprehend this...
as am i to comprehend the convoluted theme of a god who kills throughout the myth and then says COME TO ME I LOVE YOU

Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you consider Vizio a spiritual guru?
No, I consider him a low-paid pastor.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM

12,900 posts, read 4,920,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yet no matter how many times you've read the Bible, the basic theme has passed you by. I am at a loss to comprehend this---but historically that seems to be right on target. Denominational Christians are simply incapable of thinking outside the box.

And, yes, you may consider this post as one bringing controversy. WWJD? He would stand up to Pharisees and tell them they had searched Scripture and gleaned nothing from it.
The conservative Christians would say that the basic theme of the Bible has passed YOU by.

And there are probably thousands of ways to construct a "basic theme" from the Bible. It's a massive and complex book. One can get almost anything from the Bible, depending on how it is interpreted.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No, I consider him a low-paid pastor.
Freak's post was about spiritual gurus. Not sure why you asked Freak if he knows what Viz makes if you don't consider him a spiritual guru.

Spiritual gurus can pull down big money. Not all do. Some are legit. (The Dali Lama.) Some are just shysters. (James Ray being example #1 of a dangerous shyster.) People are amazingly willing to give their money away when someone says, "I have the answer. Follow me."

Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 AM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The conservative Christians would say that the basic theme of the Bible has passed YOU by.

And there are probably thousands of ways to construct a "basic theme" from the Bible. It's a massive and complex book. One can get almost anything from the Bible, depending on how it is interpreted.
The very fact that so many see different themes makes it impossible for anyone to argue against your point. But then, you don't see any point in Scripture anyway. I interpret all Scripture from the point of Jesus' summarization of the LAW AND PROPHETS as being the Two Great Commandments. Most fundamentalists interpret Scripture AND Jesus from the point of "Thou Shall Not----.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM

26,196 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
as am i to comprehend the convoluted theme of a god who kills throughout the myth and then says COME TO ME I LOVE YOU

My comment had nothing to do with God... just the statement that you said you read something 100 times before you figured out it was a waste of time. Seems like you would have figured out something was a waste of time after reading it once or twice... let alone 100 times.

The primary source for knowledge of Jesus Christ is a waste of time, and is useless for learning anything because it was written by people thousands of years ago. Good luck with that upon your judgment. You do have time to amend that.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM

26,196 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Exactly... which is why it's best to get as close as you can to the original interpretation. Otherwise, you can make the Bible say anything you want.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:42 PM

15,542 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Quote:
Exactly... which is why it's best to get as close as you can to the original interpretation. Otherwise, you can make the Bible say anything you want.
No, it's best to get as close as you can to the message of Jesus, summarized in "the New Commandment" and rely on the Spirit that animated it, the Guide promised to be with us forever by Jesus.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it's best to get as close as you can to the message of Jesus, summarized in "the New Commandment" and rely on the Spirit that animated it, the Guide promised to be with us forever by Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or