U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 PM

8,634 posts, read 5,137,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And what part do you think is not covered by that summary concerning the love that IS concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation?
All of the fundamentalists believe in love also, except with a big BUTT, I mean "but." And it is that "but" that takes them right out of the kingdom of heaven and into being pawns of the Adversary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM

15,578 posts, read 7,036,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I think I missed something. WHAT "guide"? Peace
The Holy Spirit was promised by Jesus in a few different places to guide and in at least one place to remain with us forever.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I wasn't suggesting such.
If it is all covered by that stipulation, why would you emphasize "the whole message of Jesus?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM

15,244 posts, read 8,265,261 times
Quote:
If it is all covered by that stipulation, why would you emphasize "the whole message of Jesus?
What I meant was, it's disingenuous to reject any part of what Jesus said.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What I meant was, it's disingenuous to reject any part of what Jesus said.
That would be true, but then quoting Jesus is not really as straightforward as you seem to believe, though I know of nothing that would contradict that basic message.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 PM

37,615 posts, read 25,307,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because we know what its characteristics ARE and what fruit it should produce (See 1 Cor 13 or Galatians 5). We have an absolute standard of God's truth in Christ's revelation of God's agape love for us all. The Spirit of agape love IS God and that is our standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't understand. You put the "Guide" above the Bible... but then you subject "Guide" to the content in the Bible, in which you half-heartedly believe.
No, DRob. Most people who read look for the essence of the basic message (Forest) and do not get trapped among the different verses (trees). The basic message of Jesus is that God IS agape love, God IS Spirit, and God IS Holy. The forest then is that the God IS the Holy Spirit of agape love and Jesus demonstrated that unambiguously through His life and especially His death. He loved us all (agape), even His torturers and murderers. He instructed His disciples to love God and each other(agape) every day and repent when they didn't. That is how we follow Him. He brought the Holy Spirit of God (agape) to His HUMAN consciousness connecting ALL human consciousness to God upon His death and rebirth as Spirit, something none of us were able to do. When we die and are reborn as Spirit, we will join Him and God.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:24 AM

15,244 posts, read 8,265,261 times
Quote:
That would be true, but then quoting Jesus is not really as straightforward as you seem to believe, though I know of nothing that would contradict that basic message.
You are more reasonable that others who have similar beliefs.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 AM

19,952 posts, read 13,009,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
No doubt as it allows to church to maintain control of the flock, lest they actually realize FREE WILL exists.
I never suggested they were not allowed to read anything they want. I just said that these authors are bad news. They're wolves that I'd never allow to be near my sheep. A shepherd is charged with protecting his flock. That's what a pastor is.

If you want to read that, knock yourself out. You've demonstrated to me that you don't much care to know what the historical Christian faith is.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 AM

19,952 posts, read 13,009,160 times
Quote:
If "emergent church" teaches that 93.2 percent of those doctrines are a load of hooey cooked up by a controlling "clergy," that would be the right idea, and you would be right to advise people not to think, for the sake of your position.
On the contrary, I actually do encourage critical thinking, and I am striving to educate my flock on how to ask questions.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM

23,468 posts, read 12,137,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
On the contrary, I actually do encourage critical thinking, and I am striving to educate my flock on how to ask questions.
CARM is perfect for training people to ask, rather than answer questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or