Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
CARM is perfect for training people to ask, rather than answer questions.
I would encourage you to spend some time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I never suggested they were not allowed to read anything they want. I just said that these authors are bad news. They're wolves that I'd never allow to be near my sheep. A shepherd is charged with protecting his flock. That's what a pastor is.

If you want to read that, knock yourself out. You've demonstrated to me that you don't much care to know what the historical Christian faith is.
Yes, they are bad news !
And you are so correct that a Pastor is our earthly shepherd that our Lord Jesus (the head Boss main Man) through His Holy Spirit put in charge of guiding, warning, and protecting His ppl away from any form of harm to their life spiritually and physically, amen !

Quote:
On the contrary, I actually do encourage critical thinking, and I am striving to educate my flock on how to ask questions.
And every loving and good Pastor strive and do exactly as you have stated, Vizio !

Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I actually do encourage critical thinking, and I am striving to educate my flock on how to ask questions.
Just as long as your sheep don't independently ask the "wrong" kinds of questions or independently come to the "wrong" conclusions.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Just as long as your sheep don't independently ask the "wrong" kinds of questions or independently come to the "wrong" conclusions.
Actually, I've encouraged them to ask questions -- any questions they have. I'm ok with someone questioning their faith. One's faith is stronger if they have asked the tough questions of why they believe what they believe. I don't anyone to believe simply out of blind obedience to me.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Unfortunately you have nailed it Freak. While I stand in firm disagreement with many of your conclusions about Scripture, you have pretty well set straight the purpose of denominational religion.

About Scripture and our faith believers need to constantly challenge their own thinking. I read books by Christian authors like Brennan Manning (The Ragamuffin Gospel), Garry Willis (What Jesus Meant) and Christian turned agnostic professors of religion like Bart Ehrman (Lost Christianities and Misquoting Jesus) and even one atheist writer Tamas Pataki (Against Religion). If my faith cannot stand the challenge of differing viewpoints it's not much of a faith.

I doubt Vizio nor Cyber Munchkin would ever go near anything that isn't reinforcement of their own world view. But as theologian Emil Brunner, another theologian (Swiss) who would quickly scare fundamentalists, though they might be fine with this quote, wrote:
Quote:
There is no Christian world view; there is only a Christian decision, which consists in our surrendering lordship over our own life and placing ourselves completely under the lordship of Christ.
Emil Brunner in The Word of God and Modern Man

I prefer neo-orthodox theologians who are neither entirely liberal and certainly not fundamentalist. They have a realistic view of Scripture and high regard for Jesus Christ as THE interpretation of any verse of Scripture. To fundamentalists--anyone who is not a twin brother fundamentalist is just another "lost" liberal regardless of their scholarship nor the positive impact they had on the lives of literally millions.

Freak, regardless of how you reject both church and Bible---(and I reject quite a bit myself)--the spiritual life is based on a decision--one you avoid by being too immersed in the contradictions and difficulties of Scripture and the hypocrisy of organized religion. But I know that you are still being called to make that decision for you would not be so interested in the Christian thread here on CD. Your arguments are primarily to justify that decision. If you had decided to reject it all, there would be no interest in this thread.

I still respect your own choice, whatever that may end up being, and you do frequently bring up good points for those IN the faith to ponder.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:36 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Why do you make this faulty accusation? Do you mistake confidence in what we believe to be unexamined, close-minded assertions? I believe what I believe, 1- because of the Holy Spirit in me, and 2- because I have examined these things. Vizio probably more so, because he pastors people.

People who are close minded about this stuff would not be able to stand and explain themselves against the constant barrage of faulty assertions and accusations brought forth here on C-D without having an open mind to examine this stuff in the past.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why do you make this faulty accusation? Do you mistake confidence in what we believe to be unexamined, close-minded assertions? I believe what I believe, 1- because of the Holy Spirit in me, and 2- because I have examined these things. Vizio probably more so, because he pastors people.

People who are close minded about this stuff would not be able to stand and explain themselves against the constant barrage of faulty assertions and accusations brought forth here on C-D without having an open mind to examine this stuff in the past.
Honestly? I think most atheists think Christians are just too dumb to know the difference. Most atheists seem to think they're the smartest guy in the room.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I never suggested they were not allowed to read anything they want. I just said that these authors are bad news. They're wolves that I'd never allow to be near my sheep. A shepherd is charged with protecting his flock. That's what a pastor is.

If you want to read that, knock yourself out. You've demonstrated to me that you don't much care to know what the historical Christian faith is.
Oh. You've never read the books...... but you think the authors are bad news and wolves and you're "protecting your flock".

"The Shack", which I've read, was on the Christian best seller list for well over a year. It's a very popular book that has sold over a million copes. It's been enjoyed by tens of thousands of Christians. Except.......... you since you've never even read it. Buuuuut it was written by someone you don't like and thus you don't want it near the people who sit in your church and listen to your preach. Got it.

To anyone wondering: The core message of "The Shack" is God is love. Apparently that's dangerous stuff for some people.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Honestly? I think most atheists think Christians are just too dumb to know the difference. Most atheists seem to think they're the smartest guy in the room.
I know some very, very intelligent people who are Christians.

But all are too intelligent and educated to be fundamentalists.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh. You've never read the books...... but you think the authors are bad news and wolves and you're "protecting your flock".
I've read a few of them.
Quote:
"The Shack", which I've read, was on the Christian best seller list for well over a year. It's a very popular book that has sold over a million copes. It's been enjoyed by tens of thousands of Christians. Except.......... you since you've never even read it. Buuuuut it was written by someone you don't like and thus you don't want it near the people who sit in your church and listen to your preach. Got it.
Read it. It's not worth even keeping as kindling to start the burn barrel out back. It's horrible.
Quote:

To anyone wondering: The core message of "The Shack" is God is love. Apparently that's dangerous stuff for some people.
And it's also full of a lot of heretical stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity