U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM
 
862 posts, read 642,450 times
Reputation: 212

Advertisements

I have found that most folks are so entrenched in their beliefs that you can drop a perfect bible verse bomb on them that totally blows them out of the water on what they believe and it will be in plain text and completely non-metaphorical and folks will still discount it if the information conflicts with what they believe. They will then pull their proof text outs and ignore any conflicting evidence.

Personally, in many years here on the forum, I have experienced one episode of a real ah-ha moment regarding John 6 of something I posted that two folks that were arguing against me changed their mind and agreed with me. Other than that, nothing. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. I certainly post a lot less because logic doesn't have anything to do with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2016, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
I think people are here to teach more than they are here to learn. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that almost everybody presents their opinion as if it were fact. I hardly ever see anybody preface his remarks by saying, "I believe that..." or "The way I see it..." or "The [Lutheran or Baptist or whatever] interpretation of those verses is..." It's always just, "You're wrong. I'm right. Why can't you just admit it?"

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-09-2016 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Status: "Amused by BF." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,253 posts, read 12,050,400 times
Reputation: 10627
I'm also here to reprove and correct Fundamentalists.

It's my calling.

God works in mysterious ways....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 PM
 
37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Reputation: 5851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I hardly ever see anybody preface his remarks by saying, "I believe that..." or "The way I see it..." or "The [Lutheran or Baptist or whatever] interpretation of those verses is..."
To be fair, Katz, with the exception of the fundamentalists who do as you say and simply assert their views as the correct one, I think that the presumption on a forum like this belies any need for the qualifiers. It is all opinion. There is no way to establish authority on an anonymous forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM
 
779 posts, read 295,449 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
Of course not. Most come here to rant.

In doing so they betray their own ignorance and prejudices. It's quite entertaining.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 AM
 
20,290 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think people are here to teach more than they are here to learn. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that almost everybody presents their opinion as if it were fact. I hardly ever see anybody preface his remarks by saying, "I believe that..." or "The way I see it..." or "The [Lutheran or Baptist or whatever] interpretation of those verses is..." It's always just, "You're wrong. I'm right. Why can't you just admit it?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To be fair, Katz, with the exception of the fundamentalists who do as you say and simply assert their views as the correct one, I think that the presumption on a forum like this belies any need for the qualifiers. It is all opinion. There is no way to establish authority on an anonymous forum.
MysticPhD - Why did Jesus only minister for 3 years?. Post #32.
''WRONG. He came to achieve what WE could NOT as our substitute! Huge difference.''
MysticPhD - Proof for the Existence of the Christian God. Post #187
''Wrong. It is along the lines of " we exist, the universe exists, its attributes meet the minimum descriptions of a God, so God exists " ''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To be fair, Katz, with the exception of the fundamentalists who do as you say and simply assert their views as the correct one, I think that the presumption on a forum like this belies any need for the qualifiers. It is all opinion. There is no way to establish authority on an anonymous forum.
I don't really need to name names, Mystic, and it would be a mistake for me to do so. But the shoe comes in many sizes, and if anyone can find one that fits, perhaps he should consider wearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,540 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Of course not. Most come here to rant.

In doing so they betray their own ignorance and prejudices. It's quite entertaining.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Is there a difference between ranting and hollering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Status: "Amused by BF." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,253 posts, read 12,050,400 times
Reputation: 10627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Of course not. Most come here to rant.

In doing so they betray their own ignorance and prejudices. It's quite entertaining.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
I need a new Irony Meter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Reputation: 45811
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I have found that most folks are so entrenched in their beliefs that you can drop a perfect bible verse bomb on them that totally blows them out of the water on what they believe and it will be in plain text and completely non-metaphorical and folks will still discount it if the information conflicts with what they believe. They will then pull their proof text outs and ignore any conflicting evidence.

Personally, in many years here on the forum, I have experienced one episode of a real ah-ha moment regarding John 6 of something I posted that two folks that were arguing against me changed their mind and agreed with me. Other than that, nothing. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. I certainly post a lot less because logic doesn't have anything to do with anything.
In other words, what you're really trying to ask is, "Why aren't people learning from me?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top