U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2016, 01:47 PM
 
Location: california
920 posts, read 598,061 times
Reputation: 1064

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's not a debate forum, it's suppose to be a relocation forum.
Some people like to label it a debate forum because they are debaters but that's not how this particular website markets itself.
I thought each topic was a forum in and of itself. I understand the re-location being non-debatable of course, people just want advice on where to live. And share their ideas and knowledge

Interesting. Thanks for the info

Here's a sidenote. the rules say to debate the topic, not the person. Don't get personal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2016, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,560,010 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
I certainly come away with a deeper understanding of other people's "version" of Christianity. It has not caused me to change my (un)belief(s), nor am I under the illusion that I, by myself, with a single mighty post, will change anyone else's. I am here mostly to clarify and sharpen my own positions and my presentation of them, and I suspect that's pretty typical. Even for those who think they are on some sort of crusade to persuade others, they know at some level it's not going to happen.

That doesn't make discussion here pointless. It makes it interesting, actually.

There is a class of participant here that I do think I may have some influence on, and that is the so-called "lurker" who doesn't post, at least not much, but is digesting it all. They are the thinkers and seekers who are consciously dissatisfied with their beliefs and perceptions and are looking for something that resonates as better. I was one of those once upon a time, and I try to post in ways that I wish I had seen more of during that phase of my journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 07:21 AM
 
10,491 posts, read 4,133,234 times
Reputation: 1192
we start off that way. Then it gets to pushing people's personal needs on others. Like literal religion or revenge against religious types. They are exposed very quickly though. They pool up under the flag of "spirit wear" and team uniforms.

What the numbers say is irrelevant to these types. we "normals" in the middle don't have to play with them. Of course we in the middle agree pretty quickly and the threads ends. Thats not good for profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,459 posts, read 21,202,746 times
Reputation: 17675
I didn't exactly come here to learn..I came here seeking fellowship among others ( if there were any) who had left organized religion for a more personal and spiritual relationship with the creator.

I had just taken a stand against the preacher, the elders, the congregation and some family members that I was following the Spirit of God as presented in the ministry of Jesus, and not man's version of ancient texts based on myths and legends.

I still carried a lot of guilt, a lot of personal conflict, and all the other emotions one goes through when a major life change happens. Early on it was very hard to separate myself from so many things of my church doctrine that had been pushed upon me for over 40 years with my place in the home, my place in the church and my place in continuing the hate and threat preaching coming from the pulpits and prayer meetings. I was raised not to hate,chastise or rebuke anyone because of their belief or because their were "different" from myself I was raised to believe the creator desired a more personal relationship with us. Unfortunately that all had to go to a deep place in my soul, and I was only able to bring it forth in the rare moments of solitude on my walks and private places of contemplation that I found. And eventually here on this forum.

This forum definitely has been a big factor over the years in helping me to shed the bonds of fundamentalism, and helping me to fully trust and listen and learn to the God's spirit in my heart and conscience. I carry no guilt, no fear and no desire to return to any of man's religions.

Soul peace is a beautiful place to be in my spot on this path of life.
__________________
Moderator of:
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting, and sub-forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 08:43 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
No. Most are not. Daily we see posts from certain trolls that do nothing but try to attack religion. Others wait until we respond and then just chime in with a wisecrack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 AM
 
9,169 posts, read 2,775,874 times
Reputation: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I didn't exactly come here to learn..I came here seeking fellowship among others ( if there were any) who had left organized religion for a more personal and spiritual relationship with the creator.

I had just taken a stand against the preacher, the elders, the congregation and some family members that I was following the Spirit of God as presented in the ministry of Jesus, and not man's version of ancient texts based on myths and legends.

I still carried a lot of guilt, a lot of personal conflict, and all the other emotions one goes through when a major life change happens. Early on it was very hard to separate myself from so many things of my church doctrine that had been pushed upon me for over 40 years with my place in the home, my place in the church and my place in continuing the hate and threat preaching coming from the pulpits and prayer meetings. I was raised not to hate,chastise or rebuke anyone because of their belief or because their were "different" from myself I was raised to believe the creator desired a more personal relationship with us. Unfortunately that all had to go to a deep place in my soul, and I was only able to bring it forth in the rare moments of solitude on my walks and private places of contemplation that I found. And eventually here on this forum.

This forum definitely has been a big factor over the years in helping me to shed the bonds of fundamentalism, and helping me to fully trust and listen and learn to the God's spirit in my heart and conscience. I carry no guilt, no fear and no desire to return to any of man's religions.

Soul peace is a beautiful place to be in my spot on this path of life.

Amen to your walk. I was only in the churches a relatively short time in comparison to the length of time of my walk, but it's still a big adjustment to walk as HE says walk and if that means leaving the majority behind, so be it. At the end of it all, we STILL all go to the Father ALONE, save with our Advocate.

When I heard in the Spirit, with the interpretation of the Spirit, "to be absent from the BODY, is to be present with the Lord" had a DUEL application other than the one it's most used for, I was just a streak in the distance of the body's rear view mirror.
Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 09:29 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,040,760 times
Reputation: 17783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Most are not. Daily we see posts from certain trolls that do nothing but try to attack religion. Others wait until we respond and then just chime in with a wisecrack.
Amen, and it becomes tiresome to say the least especially in having to constantly defend yourself against the hater's of God, His word, and etc. !!

Back when I joined in "2007" the behavior you see today was not even tolerated at all . And yes back then I did learn a great deal from other's here . It's a shame in how this forum has changed a great deal so I can't say that I've learned anything now but I do see how close we are in the coming of our Lord as the hate and the heart growing cold seems so much more these days !!

If anything I've learned to discern quite a bit of the false teaching going around and their teacher's in what they claim to be God's truth in this place !
I do know it has definitely strengthen my faith and recognizing the voice of my Lord Jesus quicker in a much profound way !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 04:59 PM
 
37,495 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Most are not. Daily we see posts from certain trolls that do nothing but try to attack religion. Others wait until we respond and then just chime in with a wisecrack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen, and it becomes tiresome to say the least especially in having to constantly defend yourself against the hater's of God, His word, and etc. !!
Disagreeing with you is NOT an attack. Decrying the defense of bigotry and lack of agape love expressed in both words and action by the mainstream Christians, is NOT an attack. Exposing the defense of documented discrimination and lack of agape love in what has become the anti-Christ apostate majority as prophesied for these latter days is NOT an attack. Every time you (plural as in Vizio and Cyber) presume that those who do these things are attacking you and hating God, those presumptions ARE accusations and attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 05:02 PM
 
37,495 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I didn't exactly come here to learn..I came here seeking fellowship among others ( if there were any) who had left organized religion for a more personal and spiritual relationship with the creator.

I had just taken a stand against the preacher, the elders, the congregation and some family members that I was following the Spirit of God as presented in the ministry of Jesus, and not man's version of ancient texts based on myths and legends.

I still carried a lot of guilt, a lot of personal conflict, and all the other emotions one goes through when a major life change happens. Early on it was very hard to separate myself from so many things of my church doctrine that had been pushed upon me for over 40 years with my place in the home, my place in the church and my place in continuing the hate and threat preaching coming from the pulpits and prayer meetings. I was raised not to hate,chastise or rebuke anyone because of their belief or because their were "different" from myself I was raised to believe the creator desired a more personal relationship with us. Unfortunately that all had to go to a deep place in my soul, and I was only able to bring it forth in the rare moments of solitude on my walks and private places of contemplation that I found. And eventually here on this forum.

This forum definitely has been a big factor over the years in helping me to shed the bonds of fundamentalism, and helping me to fully trust and listen and learn to the God's spirit in my and conscience. I carry no guilt, no fear and no desire to return to any of man's religions.

Soul peace is a beautiful place to be in my spot on this path of life.
Beautiful, heartfelt witness, Miss Blue. I am so glad you were able to escape the fundamentalist corruption of Christ's Gospel of agape love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Status: "Amused by BF." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,270 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Reputation: 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Most are not. Daily we see posts from certain trolls that do nothing but try to attack religion. Others wait until we respond and then just chime in with a wisecrack.
Poor, persecuted Vizio.

You carry a heavy cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top