U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM
 
862 posts, read 643,361 times
Reputation: 212

Advertisements

Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,404 posts, read 12,106,237 times
Reputation: 10669
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
Personally, I've learned quite a bit but nothing that changed my views on religion/god/spirituality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 PM
 
9,169 posts, read 2,790,525 times
Reputation: 658
I'm a newbie, but I pick up new nuggets everyday, from a variety of posters. I think, what you look for, is what you get. Just my two cents....Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 02:52 PM
 
7,869 posts, read 6,677,880 times
Reputation: 1372
Best to bring Jesus Holy Spirit in with you to discern the truth from the not truth ..... still can be a media so to study the Word of God with Jesus , and this is definitely the place to resist pride , and not every one will agree with every thing you say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM
 
37,577 posts, read 25,275,797 times
Reputation: 5860
Default Are People Here to Learn?

We are all looking at the same reality so there is something to learn from everyone. Those who do not seek to learn are only harming themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
13,339 posts, read 4,265,729 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
I have many times, and I have went from a Pentecostal speaking in tongues for 35 or 40 years to no longer believing in tongues. I have went to slaying people in the spirit to no longer believing in slain in the spirit. I have converted to Orthodox Judaism and then converted to something else and it all took place right here{maybe not here} but in forums. I have made a complete change and I find that I learn while I am typing and so I will delete after I had been writing for 4 straight hours. I will delete it all because to me, a forum is a place to practice, and a whole bunch of people have told me that I should write a book, but I can't write a book until I know the ending, and being that my belief is continually evolving, what I may write now, I would probably be sorry for in less then a year.


I have been on billboards before there was ever something like a forum or chat line, but one thing has always been a constant. I will always have just one person I am devoted to, and it is always that I am in email where I really learn from people because people will tell you things in email they may not tell you in a threads. The funny thing about forums is that I generally come to love the one person I would despise the most. I suppose it is because when you find such a person, it gets very personal and you are thinking of that person all day and what you will say in response. That is the one thing that is always so surprising to me, after I done gone and went and got the big boot and banned from a forum, it is my enemy I miss and he misses me but not at first. And then time goes by and you realize just how very much that enemy taught you because he was your motivation, your muse that kept you in enough passion to study in order to learn who God is. So I will run a cross mine enemy from time to time and he always feels as I do, we have found out that we really love each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,492 posts, read 7,569,086 times
Reputation: 12182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
Absolutely! This forum over the last six years has opened my eyes and made me question virtually all the fundamentalist doctrine I was flooded with over the first 18 years of my religiously controlled upbringing!

It's been enlightening to say the least! I can see so much clearer now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM
 
1,420 posts, read 394,044 times
Reputation: 783
Pray for wisdom and the ability to discern truth here and elsewhere.......Jesus works in amazing ways and can lead you to a good teacher. After 25 years and floundering around in Charismatics, word of faith, prosperity gospels and just generally dead denominations the Lord lead me to a brilliant teacher on the radio who gave all the glory to the Lord, taught only from the word and knew that all today are saved by grace. So keep praying and asking for wisdom and you may find it here on a forum or elsewhere.......but the Lord is faithful and true and the Spirit will guide you into all truth if you keep seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 PM
 
Location: USA
3,054 posts, read 1,057,798 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
Most of those who post already have established their position unalterably. The true battleground is for those who are reading the posts, and reaching conclusions and making decisions based on the various arguments made by the entrenched posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,564 posts, read 7,019,945 times
Reputation: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Most of those who post already have established their position unalterably. The true battleground is for those who are reading the posts, and reaching conclusions and making decisions based on the various arguments made by the entrenched posters.
Some of us here who have basically established positions are also here to learn how to effectively counter the arguments of those who don;'t share it. That's worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top