Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:31 PM

802 posts, read 453,567 times

Advertisements

The first we hear of the Trinity in the Gospel is in the last chapter of Matthew.

We have no copy of Matthew older than about 325 AD. Still, Eusebius, who was an early Church historian, had available to him older copies of Matthew now lost. He wrote a number of commentaries. In some, he ends Matthew similar to Mark (from which it was largely copied).

Aside from Matthew's gospel, is no mention of a Trinity in the New Testament, and baptism is always in the name of Jesus alone (see Acts of the Apostles and Paul).

So when was the dogma of the Trinity created and why?

Old 01-30-2016, 12:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
It's merely an attempt to reconcile all the various beliefs into a One World Religion.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Constantine started the whole mess in an attempt to reconcile warring presbyters who had opposing viewpoints on Jesus' nature---was he man, god, or a man/god? Constantine hoped that by making him both man AND god he'd settle all the infighting. Constantine was nothing if not a practical pagan emperor.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Constantine started the whole mess in an attempt to reconcile warring presbyters who had opposing viewpoints on Jesus' nature---was he man, god, or a man/god? Constantine hoped that by making him both man AND god he'd settle all the infighting. Constantine was nothing if not a practical pagan emperor.
Well, "started the whole mess" would be a misstatement. The controversy was ongoing for a fair while and "started" would be tough to pinpoint. There were more than one ideas current as to the nature of Jesus and Constantine tried to settle it, which does put a particular spotlight on the various ideas.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,330,840 times
you may wish to do a careful read on the Wikipedia article on "trinity" as a start which has the history of the development of the theological doctrine with appropriate citations and links. there you can at least get a handle on what the "experts" pro and con think about the matter (as opposed to us mostly theological "amateurs" opinions) on what is essentially a DEEP "mystery" of the traditional Christian faith---- trying to understand the nature of God is and how Jesus relates to God and the belief that Jesus' teachings AND miracles are part and parcel of what most Christians believe is His Divine nature as pre-existent "Son of God" AND as "Son of Man" born into this world. good luck.

for a rather skeptical take on the theological and political struggles involved in this matter "the Jesus wars" is an interesting book to consult.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-30-2016 at 01:59 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 01:51 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, "started the whole mess" would be a misstatement. The controversy was ongoing for a fair while and "started" would be tough to pinpoint. There were more than one ideas current as to the nature of Jesus and Constantine tried to settle it, which does put a particular spotlight on the various ideas.

My bad. What I was implying was that the word, "trinity" didn't come into existence in the church until Constantine. Prior to that there had been some debate as to Christ's nature but no one was talking about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit being three-in-one (sounds like a Certs ad--"Three mints, three mints, three mints-in-one!") until roughly 300 years later. Even the infamous 1John passage "There are three, the father, the son and the holy spirit and these three are one" is now recognized by all the reputable Bible scholars as being an interpolation---added sometime during the Council of Nicaea to boost support for Constantine's attempt to make the trinity part of official church/empire dogma.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:53 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,243 times
No trinity was taught at the first council of Nicea. The new catholic encyclopedia states-- The formulation-one God in 3 persons--was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century.1967-Vol.XIV--pg 299--

Old 01-30-2016, 02:52 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
I trinity is taught in John 12: 23-28........``The hour is come , that the son of man will be glorified .... Very truly I say to you , Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die , it abides alone , but if it die it brings forth much fruit .................He that loves his life will lose it , and he that hates his life in this world will keep it on to eternal life ..................If any man serves me let him follow me , and where I am there will also my servant be , if any man serves me , him will my father honor ...............Now is my soul troubled , and what will I say Father save me from this hour , but for this cause came I on to this hour Father glorify they name ``..............Jesus said in John 14:6 ``I am the way , the truth , and the life , no man comes to the Father God but by me ``.......... See Jesus taught that He is to be glorified to God , and only Jesus is the way to God only ...... See Only Father God and Jesus are glorified as Christians are not glorified , and they need to be one with Jesus to see the kingdom of Heaven ................Then In John 14:16....Jesus promised ``And I will pray the father and He will give you another Comforter , that may abide with you for ever ...Even the spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive because it sees him not neither know him but you know him for he dwells with you and will be in you ....... See here is the three Father God , Son of man Jesus , the comforter Holy spirit ...... So if your church rejects the trinity then you will miss out on the purpose of Christ and His identity

Old 01-30-2016, 03:00 PM

589 posts, read 331,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwade View Post
it's merely an attempt to reconcile all the various beliefs into a one world religion.
bs. its abelief of facts about god. he has a son and a holy spirit.

Last edited by David in Christ; 01-30-2016 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 03:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I trinity is taught in John 12: 23-28........``The hour is come , that the son of man will be glorified .... Very truly I say to you , Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die , it abides alone , but if it die it brings forth much fruit .................He that loves his life will lose it , and he that hates his life in this world will keep it on to eternal life ..................If any man serves me let him follow me , and where I am there will also my servant be , if any man serves me , him will my father honor ...............Now is my soul troubled , and what will I say Father save me from this hour , but for this cause came I on to this hour Father glorify they name ``..............Jesus said in John 14:6 ``I am the way , the truth , and the life , no man comes to the Father God but by me ``.......... See Jesus taught that He is to be glorified to God , and only Jesus is the way to God only ...... See Only Father God and Jesus are glorified as Christians are not glorified , and they need to be one with Jesus to see the kingdom of Heaven ................Then In John 14:16....Jesus promised ``And I will pray the father and He will give you another Comforter , that may abide with you for ever ...Even the spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive because it sees him not neither know him but you know him for he dwells with you and will be in you ....... See here is the three Father God , Son of man Jesus , the comforter Holy spirit ...... So if your church rejects the trinity then you will miss out on the purpose of Christ and His identity
You cannot miss that which is within, if you open the eye of your understanding (mind).
It has nothing to do with anything that is seen or heard from the position of externalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.