U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM

12,920 posts, read 4,933,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
well, actually the words of prayer and it's intentions seems quite apolitical. IMHO, the prayer is about asking protection for the individual in the "spiritual battle" against sin and evil (both outside of and inside of us and yes, in a battle situation physical danger, injury, or death could reasonably be regarded as evil in and of themselves) and NOT about physical victory, conquest, death, or harm to ANYBODY else regardless of national, political, cultural, racial, denominational, etc. affiliation or persuasion---except the devil and his minions (which are the ONLY "enemies" specifically mentioned in the prayer).

FWIW, the prayer was composed long after most "crusades" and "religious" wars had ceased to be popular forms of state or church sponsored "entertainment".
Regardless, my question remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,835,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
SRY, I did not do either for this specific post. But I have read where are a few Iraqis who are christian. Therefore they also could be "praying" to the same saints or powers--so I have to wonder why they died and others lived if they prayed to the same deity / entity?

I am also pretty sure it happened during the civil war as well?

Why would god save one who prayed and allow the other, who prayed to the same saint or god, to die?
I'm sure if you are a Christian in Iraq right now you will either be killed if you do not convert to Islam or pay a huge tax and probably still be killed.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 AM

34,565 posts, read 8,914,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I'm sure if you are a Christian in Iraq right now you will either be killed if you do not convert to Islam or pay a huge tax and probably still be killed.
That's irrelevant to the point. I would have left the thread alone, despite the evident intent to suggest that a believer's claim that his survival was due to a religious belief and the protection it gives is evidence for Christianity, but for the counter -points posted.

The counter - point is the usual one - the same applies to all religions, and the same one in two sides of a civil war. The old claim "No atheists in foxholes" is of course equally invalid as the claim that prayer accomplishes anything other than boosting confidence or perhaps acceptance of fate. One can google the 'Atheists in foxholes' website.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 AM

17,753 posts, read 8,883,926 times
The medal is presented "in the name of Congress," not God.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:50 AM

10,506 posts, read 4,144,439 times
bomb the poop out of a area with a ton of people. The numbers say there will be miricles. Hmm, what does that tell us?

Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,784,110 times
My first real heartfelt prayer, was along the lines of "HELP ME I DON'T CARE IF I LIVE ANOTHER DAY", and HE HEARD THAT PRAYER. I woke the next day, as different as day is from night, and never looked back.

So there is no difference, and in fact, greater urgency in someone in a life or death situation for REAL, and I have no problem He hears their prayers, too.

I've already shared about healings from Him, which are answered prayers, but I haven't shared other answered prayers. Here's one.

I was driving down the highway on a beautiful summer day, when the Lord told me to thank Him for my angels. I am not particularly an angel focused person, can't say as I really ever thanked Him for them before, so it seemed a strange request, but I did it.

Five minutes later, I see just ahead of me, an old man mowing his grass and he comes up on the berm of the highway. Well, there was a black new Ford pickup right in front of me, and he apparently thought the old man was going to be oblivious to him and pull out in the highway, so he SLAMS on his breaks right in front of me.

I have a split second to react, and I slam my foot on the brake to keep from rear-ending the black truck, momentarily forgetting I'M DRIVING A STICKSHIFT. So you know what happens next, it dies out at a high speed, and I do a 360 in the middle of the highway, watch a car just miss the nose of mine as it goes by, and I spin on backwards, completely out MY control, down the bank, and into the old man's yard.

The miracle part of it was, I spun backwards out of control, through a pole and a large tree. Thankfully the old man was watching and was not near where I entered his yard. Once he realized what had happened and looked at the way my vehicle had come through, he measured it, then measured my vehicle width, and there was literally only 1 inch of clearance available on each side of my vehicle when I came barreling through backwards, completely out of control. The old man said if he hadn't seen it, he wouldn't have believed it was possible.

And the black pickup truck driver? He looked back and realized his over reaction had almost caused a tragedy and he took off at a high rate of speed, not bothering to find out if I was hurt, or what.

I'd say my angels were working overtime, wouldn't you? Peace

Old 03-12-2016, 08:11 AM

17,753 posts, read 8,883,926 times
You were fortunate, but not sure that would be classified as a miracle.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,978,948 times
Jesus said if we pray to him he hears our prayers...I just don't understand why you believe prayer to an angel or anyone other than Jesus is appropriate.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 AM

6,818 posts, read 3,136,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Jesus said if we pray to him he hears our prayers...I just don't understand why you believe prayer to an angel or anyone other than Jesus is appropriate.
A narrow view, will never see the benefits.

Yesterday, a recent acquaintance asked me if it was okay to put me on a nation wide prayer list.

I agreed, wholeheartedly. I did not ask who these wonderful people were praying to. I did not ask about the faith of these strangers, either. It is unimportant.

I simply know, I will be in the thoughts of many people. They are praying me, another stranger, for a successful outcome. I do not care what they say in their prayer, or who they pray to.

All that positive energy, is awesome. It makes me feel good, and makes me happy.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:07 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,784,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Did you miss the point? He said to THANK HIM for my angels. Nowhere did I say I prayed TO any angel, nor would I. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or