U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Is there an experiment we could run to determine who is right?

I propose that Viz and RN both pray for 100 different things, and then record how many of those prayers are answered. Whoever has the higher number of answered prayers is right (about whether or not prayer is worship).
Why does one have to be right?

When you believed in God did you believe he only answered prayers from one kind of believer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 AM

12,920 posts, read 4,940,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why does one have to be right?
Both Vizio and RN claim that their respective views on prayer are right. So ask them.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Both Vizio and RN claim that their respective views on prayer are right. So ask them.
I'm asking YOU. You're the person who wants to run the experiment and determine who is right. Why does one have to be right?

Care to answer the second question?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I'm asking YOU. You're the person who wants to run the experiment and determine who is right. Why does one have to be right?
Both Vizio and RN are making factual claims. Viz says that prayer is an act of worship. RN says Viz is wrong.

Assuming there really is One True God who answers prayers, both claims cannot be correct. They can both be incorrect, but they can't both be correct. So I proposed an experiment.

Quote:
Care to answer the second question?
I was taught that the One True God was the Christian God, and that he only answered Christian prayers. I'm no longer a theist though, so I no longer believe that.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Both Vizio and RN are making factual claims. Viz says that prayer is an act of worship. RN says Viz is wrong.

Assuming there really is One True God who answers prayers, both claims cannot be correct. They can both be incorrect, but they can't both be correct. So I proposed an experiment.

I was taught that the One True God was the Christian God, and that he only answered Christian prayers. I'm no longer a theist though, so I no longer believe that.
I'm 99.9% sure Ronkon doesn't believe in a One True God as defined by Christian fundamentalists.

You cannot assume these things, Freak. That's a left-over from your fundamentalist upbringing. Free your mind. Then ask yourself why one has to be right. Who says one has to be right? Why can't both be right according to their beliefs?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:16 PM

6,822 posts, read 3,140,622 times
Quote:
Is there an experiment we could run to determine who is right?

I propose that Viz and RN both pray for 100 different things, and then record how many of those prayers are answered. Whoever has the higher number of answered prayers is right (about whether or not prayer is worship).
You want us to enter into some sort of contest to satisfy you. Not happening. Viz is very comfortable with his viewpoint, and I am comfortable with mine.

I think you should do your own experiment of prayer. One where you worship, and the other where you do not. That way you can be sure your outcome is honest.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

I think you should do your own experiment of prayer. One where you worship, and the other where you do not. That way you can be sure your outcome is honest.

Excellent idea! Report back, Freak.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I'm 99.9% sure Ronkon doesn't believe in a One True God as defined by Christian fundamentalists.

You cannot assume these things, Freak. That's a left-over from your fundamentalist upbringing. Free your mind. Then ask yourself why one has to be right. Who says one has to be right? Why can't both be right according to their beliefs?
Maybe she believe that God is a Giant Hamster that lives in the center of Jupiter. Maybe she believes in Giant Space Crabs. I don't know.

She seemed pretty confident that Vizio was wrong about prayer. So I simply offered a way to determine who was right.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
You want us to enter into some sort of contest to satisfy you. Not happening. Viz is very comfortable with his viewpoint, and I am comfortable with mine.
Not a contest. Just a scientific experiment.

Quote:

Quote:
Excellent idea! Report back, Freak.
Ok, the results are in:

I flipped a coin 50 times while praying to the Christian God (as an act of worship) for Heads each time. I got 27 Heads, and 23 Tails, giving the Christian God a slight edge over random chance. I repeated the experiment without considering prayer as an act of worship and got 24/26. So it appears that Vizio is right, and RN is wrong.

I then repeated the experiment while praying to the Giant Space Crabs, and got 29/21.

All hail Giant Space Crabs.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:22 PM

6,822 posts, read 3,140,622 times
Quote:
Maybe she believe that God is a Giant Hamster that lives in the center of Jupiter. Maybe she believes in Giant Space Crabs. I don't know.

She seemed pretty confident that Vizio was wrong about prayer. So I simply offered a way to determine who was right.
I said he has a narrow view of prayer. He was all apologetic about his narrow view.

Kneeling, folding hands, and closing my eyes does not serve me, looks ridiculous, and showy. My relationship with God does not depend on such theatrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or