U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,846,449 times

Advertisements

https://churchpop.com/2016/03/07/med...er-protection/

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle,
be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host,
by the power of God,
cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits
who wander the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen

This would be a very powerful prayer before going into battle for sure. I'm glad he was able to come back and get the medal. Pray for our troops going into harms way each day for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 AM

1,481 posts, read 796,542 times
a beautiful prayer with a noble intention---asking the help of God and His angels to protect us from "the wickedness and snares of the devil" in all we do and wherever we go (including in battle or other violent confrontation).

FWIW, this prayer was composed by Pope Leo xiii in 1884 and are thus often referred to as one of the several "Leonine prayers" that were often said after "low" mass in the pre-Vatican ii "tridentine" liturgy.

Wikipedia has an informative article on "leonine prayers".

IMHO, another very good prayer is:

"Oh, Jesus: save us from the fires of hell
and bring all souls to heaven---
especially those who have most need of Your mercy."

in the peace of Christ.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:32 PM

12,920 posts, read 4,943,706 times
What happens when one predominately Christian nation goes to war against another predominately Christian nation, and soldiers from both sides pray that prayer?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:40 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,385,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What happens when one predominately Christian nation goes to war against another predominately Christian nation, and soldiers from both sides pray that prayer?
The Protestants complain about the Catholics praying to a saint.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
well, actually the words of prayer and it's intentions seems quite apolitical. IMHO, the prayer is about asking protection for the individual in the "spiritual battle" against sin and evil (both outside of and inside of us and yes, in a battle situation physical danger, injury, or death could reasonably be regarded as evil in and of themselves) and NOT about physical victory, conquest, death, or harm to ANYBODY else regardless of national, political, cultural, racial, denominational, etc. affiliation or persuasion---except the devil and his minions (which are the ONLY "enemies" specifically mentioned in the prayer).

FWIW, the prayer was composed long after most "crusades" and "religious" wars had ceased to be popular forms of state or church sponsored "entertainment".

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-09-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM

20,599 posts, read 22,770,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://churchpop.com/2016/03/07/med...er-protection/

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle,
be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host,
by the power of God,
cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits
who wander the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen

This would be a very powerful prayer before going into battle for sure. I'm glad he was able to come back and get the medal. Pray for our troops going into harms way each day for us.
I read the enemy were also christain and also prayed to St. Michael before they died?

There are NO atheists in the foxhole.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:17 PM

There are NO atheists in the foxhole.[/quote]

yes, indeed and because of that it's no surprise that people (including apparently the brave soldier in the story) in dangerous situations with potential injury or death literally staring them in the face will reach out to whatever powers there might be (from calling on Mom or to God and His angels) to potentially help and save them---which is basically what this prayer in this particular situation seems to have really been about. this is not about death and destruction to a human enemy (not mentioned in the prayer at all) but instead, "PLEASE, Lord keep me safe body and soul!!!) an understandable concern and if the words he used seemed to have helped him well and good. others (including other Catholics) might use different words in a similar situation and that's good, too.

for those interested in the beliefs underlying the prayer in question, scripture talks about God having angels to guard over us (psalm 91:11) and the devil "himself" makes reference to this when he tempts Jesus to make a literal "leap of faith" over a high tower (Luke 4: 10-11) and says it's no big deal because God will send angels to bear Him up (i.e. protect Him) lest He even "dash his foot against a stone".

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-09-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 PM

37,584 posts, read 25,282,626 times
Default Medal of Honor Recipient Credits St. Michael Prayer for Protection

Even in primitive societies, beliefs were powerful allies. If aTribal Chief believed that the Witch Doctor's incantations provided him with protection from demons and other unknown evils, he was able to be more ferocious in battle by concentrating on his human adversaries without having to worry about those imaginary ones. Belief is powerful and can enable us to accomplish great things.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 AM

20,187 posts, read 12,846,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I read the enemy were also christain and also prayed to St. Michael before they died?

There are NO atheists in the foxhole.
Well I don't know about that since he was in Iraq. Didn't you read the article and watch the video?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 AM

20,599 posts, read 22,770,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well I don't know about that since he was in Iraq. Didn't you read the article and watch the video?
SRY, I did not do either for this specific post. But I have read where are a few Iraqis who are christian. Therefore they also could be "praying" to the same saints or powers--so I have to wonder why they died and others lived if they prayed to the same deity / entity?

I am also pretty sure it happened during the civil war as well?

Why would god save one who prayed and allow the other, who prayed to the same saint or god, to die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or