U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:26 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,017,983 times

Advertisements

A Christian perspective on our Republican Candidates for President
I agree whole-heartedly with Dr. Michael Brown (who lives in Concord, NC and has a radio program [The Line of Fire, on radio AM 960, M-Friday at 2 P]M) and Dr. James Dobson (who you probably remember as being in charge of the Focus on the Family programs for many years. Dr. Dobson had a radio ad several days ago, saying that he firmly supports Ted Cruz after Donald Trump and Marco Rubio both have admitted that they had no problem with gay marriages. Cruz is a fervent opposer of abortion and gay marriage, supporting the definition of marriage as being the union of one man and one woman. I am personally disappointed that evangelical ministers such as Jerry Falwell and Mike Huckabee have endorsed Trump despite his frequent verbal outbursts saying he would ban all Muslims from entering the USA and that the Pope should not express his doubt of Trump being a true Christian. I am very much concerned that Trump uses profanity openly, has had multiple marriages [and I think he has publicly admitted being an adulterer, but I am not sure about that.]

Our minister, Mike McGee [elder of the non-denominational Shiloh Truelight Church in Mint Hill,NC] delivered an excellent sermon several Sundays ago regrading Ephesians Chapter 2. Eph.2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast[10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Many Protestant ministers teach that we are saved by faith alone, with no works being necessary. It is true that none of our natural good works will save us, since we read in Isaiah 64: [6] But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
So our natural works are not accepted by God and we have nothing of which we can boast. But we read in James 2: [17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
And as we read on in Eph. 2: [10] FOR WE ARE HIS WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS, WHICH GOD HATH BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM UNTO GOOD WORKS.
If we have truly repented and received the Holy Spirit, the fruits of that Spirit are the only works which are accepted by God, and we have no natural works of which we can boast. Jesus said in Luke 17: [7] But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
[8] And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
[9] Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
[10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
Jesus also said in John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Mike McGee has made it very clear that if churches teach anything that is definitely contrary to the Bible [such as saying that God will accept gay marriages, when the Bible teaches that homosexuality is an abomination] they are turning the word of God into a lie.
But we must all remember that we are all sinners and condemned if we have never truly repented. Homosexuality is no worse that adultery or shacking up with someone with no intent to marry, or of breaking any of the ten commandments. Remember also that Jesus said that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over minty and nine who need no repentance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:15 PM

6,814 posts, read 3,134,809 times
If I knew nothing else about Ted Cruz, the fact he raises his hands to his children disqualifies him. He is an abuser of children.

The man makes the hair on my neck stand up. I always trust my instincts and intuition.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM

782 posts, read 296,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
A Christian perspective on our Republican Candidates for President
I agree whole-heartedly with Dr. Michael Brown (who lives in Concord, NC and has a radio program [The Line of Fire, on radio AM 960, M-Friday at 2 P]M) and Dr. James Dobson (who you probably remember as being in charge of the Focus on the Family programs for many years. Dr. Dobson had a radio ad several days ago, saying that he firmly supports Ted Cruz after Donald Trump and Marco Rubio both have admitted that they had no problem with gay marriages. Cruz is a fervent opposer of abortion and gay marriage, supporting the definition of marriage as being the union of one man and one woman. I am personally disappointed that evangelical ministers such as Jerry Falwell and Mike Huckabee have endorsed Trump despite his frequent verbal outbursts saying he would ban all Muslims from entering the USA and that the Pope should not express his doubt of Trump being a true Christian. I am very much concerned that Trump uses profanity openly, has had multiple marriages [and I think he has publicly admitted being an adulterer, but I am not sure about that.]

Our minister, Mike McGee [elder of the non-denominational Shiloh Truelight Church in Mint Hill,NC] delivered an excellent sermon several Sundays ago regrading Ephesians Chapter 2. Eph.2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast[10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Many Protestant ministers teach that we are saved by faith alone, with no works being necessary. It is true that none of our natural good works will save us, since we read in Isaiah 64: [6] But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
So our natural works are not accepted by God and we have nothing of which we can boast. But we read in James 2: [17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
And as we read on in Eph. 2: [10] FOR WE ARE HIS WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS, WHICH GOD HATH BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM UNTO GOOD WORKS.
If we have truly repented and received the Holy Spirit, the fruits of that Spirit are the only works which are accepted by God, and we have no natural works of which we can boast. Jesus said in Luke 17: [7] But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
[8] And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
[9] Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
[10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
Jesus also said in John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Mike McGee has made it very clear that if churches teach anything that is definitely contrary to the Bible [such as saying that God will accept gay marriages, when the Bible teaches that homosexuality is an abomination] they are turning the word of God into a lie.
But we must all remember that we are all sinners and condemned if we have never truly repented. Homosexuality is no worse that adultery or shacking up with someone with no intent to marry, or of breaking any of the ten commandments. Remember also that Jesus said that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over minty and nine who need no repentance.
A bit long winded and somewhat off topic, Bob.

I jumped into this thread because I assumed it was a political statement. Instead I read a bit of whitewash. Do you make a stand for right living according to the law of God or do you not? After all your mumbling about grace and the need for God you end by nearly apologizing for the gay life style, which is according to your definition no worse than any other sin.

Should I point out Bob that ANY sin is worthy of death? Should I point out once again God's grievous reaction to this particular sin in terms of nuking the towns of the valley of Sodom - all five of them? Are we winking at sin? Are we making room in the dark closets of mankind's wickedness for sodomy by saying, "oh gee, it's not all that bad."

It IS all that bad, Bob.

The gay crowd has designs on our religion, our children, our homes and our very minds. Make no mistake that in the name of equality their purpose is to subvert the family structure and thereby the nation. They have been so successful that if you even raise objection to it from the pulpit you risk condemnation from politically correct members of the congregation. If you raise objection to it in the work place you risk termination of your job. Warning such a person that their foolish ways may affect their eternal destiny is now considered hate language - by those who need to be saved the most.

This is NOT equality. It is tyranny of the meanest sort.

They are sinners like all the rest? Do you not know that sinners are condemned to hell by their own wickedness? Hell is not an allegory for bad attitudes. It is not a place for some abstract idea. Hell is for PEOPLE, Bob. Eternal damnation is for the sinner, of which the gay is chief because he or she demands fair treatment. God is not fair. Never has been. Never will be. God is just and as such will NEVER permit spiritually unregenerate members of the gay crowd into paradise. They have rejected the just law of Adonai and are deserving of the consequences.

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA, HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.
- Shanghai curse August 1937

Nearly every other sinner realizes that he or she is doing wrong. They may ignore the voice of conscience and continue in it, but they do know they are wrong. The thief knows it. The adulterer knows it. The murderer knows it. The liar knows it. The addict knows it. They all know it except the gay person. The gay fool is worst of all, because he or she justifies themselves in their warped notion of love and fairness.

A dilute gospel won't save anybody, Bob. If you care at all for the lost you must review your attitude.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 03-08-2016, 05:20 PM

4,070 posts, read 1,146,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

I jumped into this thread because I assumed it was a political statement. Instead I read a bit of whitewash. Do you make a stand for right living according to the law of God or do you not? After all your mumbling about grace and the need for God you end by nearly apologizing for the gay life style, which is according to your definition no worse than any other sin.

I am LGBT

My "conduct"; also known as my "behavior or my "lifestyle"

I spend a lot of time with my computer, because that is one of my passions. It's the only thing I'm really good at. I love programming, though I'm not great at it. I also love gaming and fixing computer problems. I also build them. I tend to stay up late because I'm a night owl. I also spend a lot of time with my boyfriend when he isn't working.

I keep my apartment pretty clean, love to cook, and as I said spend time watching TV or talking with my boyfriend when he's home.

That's really all I do, aside from eating, sleeping, showering and other things. The other things, just to calm your fears involve waste removal, and I'm not going into detail about it.

If you're concerned about "what I do in bed", quite frankly, that's none of your business. But for full disclosure, I'll tell you, please forgive the next sentence for being gratuitously graphic:

It's a bed, I sleep there.

So that's my "conduct." My "behavior." My "lifestyle."

Would you care to point out, IN DETAIL, what you find so objectionable? What bothers you so much? What is so offensive as to deserve your scorn and ridicule?

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM

8,591 posts, read 5,118,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

Should I point out Bob that ANY sin is worthy of death? Should I point out once again God's grievous reaction to this particular sin in terms of nuking the towns of the valley of Sodom - all five of them? Are we winking at sin? Are we making room in the dark closets of mankind's wickedness for sodomy by saying, "oh gee, it's not all that bad."

It IS all that bad, Bob.

The gay crowd has designs on our religion, our children, our homes and our very minds. Make no mistake that in the name of equality their purpose is to subvert the family structure and thereby the nation. They have been so successful that if you even raise objection to it from the pulpit you risk condemnation from politically correct members of the congregation. If you raise objection to it in the work place you risk termination of your job. Warning such a person that their foolish ways may affect their eternal destiny is now considered hate language - by those who need to be saved the most.

This is NOT equality. It is tyranny of the meanest sort.

They are sinners like all the rest? Do you not know that sinners are condemned to hell by their own wickedness? Hell is not an allegory for bad attitudes. It is not a place for some abstract idea. Hell is for PEOPLE, Bob. Eternal damnation is for the sinner, of which the gay is chief because he or she demands fair treatment. God is not fair. Never has been. Never will be. God is just and as such will NEVER permit spiritually unregenerate members of the gay crowd into paradise. They have rejected the just law of Adonai and are deserving of the consequences.

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA, HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.
- Shanghai curse August 1937

Nearly every other sinner realizes that he or she is doing wrong. They may ignore the voice of conscience and continue in it, but they do know they are wrong. The thief knows it. The adulterer knows it. The murderer knows it. The liar knows it. The addict knows it. They all know it except the gay person. The gay fool is worst of all, because he or she justifies themselves in their warped notion of love and fairness.

A dilute gospel won't save anybody, Bob. If you care at all for the lost you must review your attitude.

The gay crowd would prefer you would leave them the hell alone.

We Christ followers (not christians--a term hijacked by godless fundamentalists) stand up for those you would put down. Your group has been around a long, long time and kept gays in the closet. Once they began to "come out," and straight people saw that the LGBT crowd was no different than themselves in terms of what they do on a day to day basis they began to be accepted.

Quote:
Politically, it is religious conservatives who have the louder voice and the greater range of political organization.
http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-co...ort-Final-.pdf

But your kind of preaching is actually driving people away from the church. Don't think for a moment you represent God. You represent your prejudice and bigotry.

Quote:
According to the Barna Research Institute (perhaps the best source for empirical research on evangelicals), up to six out of ten young Christians leave the church permanently or for an extended period starting at age 15. Evans claims (with support from Barna and others) that “young adults perceive evangelical Christianity to be too political, too exclusive, old-fashioned, unconcerned with social justice and hostile to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
Why Are Millennials Leaving the Church? The Narcissism Factor – The French Revolution

What millennials really want is simple:
Quote:
We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.
We want our LGBT friends to feel truly welcome in our faith communities.
We want to be challenged to live lives of holiness, not only when it comes to sex, but also when it comes to living simply, caring for the poor and oppressed, pursuing reconciliation, engaging in creation care and becoming peacemakers.
----
Like every generation before ours and every generation after, deep down, we long for Jesus.
Why millennials are leaving the church – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
So thank you. Post some more ugliness and help more people see they don't need what you've turned Jesus into. They aren't interested in your religion--because Jesus isn't there. And Jesus isn't there, because your heart is not in the kingdom, it's buried in your fear and prejudice.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-08-2016 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM

4,070 posts, read 1,146,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

We Christ followers (not christians--a term hijacked by godless fundamentalists) stand up for those you would put down. Your group has been around a long, long time and kept gays in the closet. Once they began to "come out," and straight people saw that the LGBT crowd was no different than themselves in terms of what they do on a day to day basis they began to be accepted.

But your kind of preaching is actually driving people away from the church. Don't think for a moment you represent God. You represent your prejudice and bigotry.

Why Are Millennials Leaving the Church? The Narcissism Factor The French Revolution

Why millennials are leaving the church CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
So thank you. Post some more ugliness and help more people see they don't need what you've turned Jesus into. They aren't interested in your religion--because Jesus isn't there. And Jesus isn't there, because your heart is not in the kingdom, it's buried in your fear and prejudice.

Thank you. <3

Old 03-09-2016, 02:34 AM

2,541 posts, read 890,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden

Why Are Millennials Leaving the Church? The Narcissism Factor The French Revolution

Why millennials are leaving the church CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Thank you. <3
Another Thank You to Wardendresden. I find posts such as that contributed by Choir Loft to be disappointing as well as alarming because I - naively - had begun to believe that this kind of fundamentalist ugliness was on the decline ...especially on this forum.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 AM

20,579 posts, read 22,733,728 times
Quote:
I am LGBT

I spend a lot of time with my computer, because that is one of my passions. It's the only thing I'm really good at. I love programming, though I'm not great at it. I also love gaming and fixing computer problems. I also build them. I tend to stay up late because I'm a night owl. I also spend a lot of time with my boyfriend when he isn't working.

I keep my apartment pretty clean, love to cook, and as I said spend time watching TV or talking with my boyfriend when he's home.

That's really all I do, aside from eating, sleeping, showering and other things. The other things, just to calm your fears involve waste removal, and I'm not going into detail about it.

If you're concerned about "what I do in bed", quite frankly, that's none of your business. But for full disclosure, I'll tell you, please forgive the next sentence for being gratuitously graphic:

Would you care to point out, IN DETAIL, what you find so objectionable? What bothers you so much? What is so offensive as to deserve your scorn and ridicule?

FIRST--as you know NO ONE deserves ridicule or SCORN..

SECOND--It is ANGER the evangelicals have in trying to reconcile the teachings of Christ to LOVE, have MERCY and practice JUSTICE with the words of the infidel dog PAUL who for what ever twisted reason decided to pervert the ENTIRE gospel of Christ--which IMHO he has succeeded in placing himself and his teachings ABOVE that of Jesus.

There is no way to change the mindset of an OPPRESSIVE-BIGOTED evangelical so the best idea is to remind them the CONSTITUTION is the LAW (they HATE this even more than they hate unbelievers) as they have NO PROBLEM with placing christian Sharia Law above the Constitution and calling the Constitution trash--garbage--I have even heard a few fundies refer to the Constitution as Pornographic ...LOL

Eventually it all comes down to scripture slinging--the fundies sling their twister interpretation of anti-gay verses (conveniently leaving out David;s homosexual relationships) and the progressives toss out their verses which the fundies say are twisted and misinterpreted and the war rages---

The issue then becomes problematic as the fundies then want to enforce that christian Sharia Law by legalizing discrimination / oppression / and bigotry under the guise of religion while the rest of "normal" people just want to go on withe their lives like everyday people.

So whenever I encounter a bigoted-oppressor, rather than sling verses and say my GOD can beat up their god-in-da-tiny-box-of-insecurities-and impotence, I leave them with the idea of why can we just allow people to live their lives as they chose--as long as they do no impose physical harm to others.

Unlike Star Trek, I do not believe the BORG here on earth will ever be defeated. The best we can do is educate the outsiders and convince them not to join the ranks bigotry.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,782,281 times
The first thing that needs to be pointed out is that G-d's Spirit IS love, BUT (and it's a BIG but), His love is NOT an, I'm ok, you're ok, feel good EMOTION; in fact, it's not an emotion AT ALL. It can and does express itself THROUGH our emotions (we give up ours, we get His, we decrease, He increases), WHICH IS WHAT THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT ARE, but He's not moved by our "type" of emotions at all.

Further, His love is the ONLY true love, His Word the only viable source to discover just what that love is like. And frankly, His love HURTS sometime; it hurts the flesh we've grown accustomed to keeping around. Maybe we were born with it (as a generational curse) and grew up with it and we've had it so long we falsely believe it's a part of us, because it's all we've known. But that's what the circumcision we ALL have to go through IS for, the cutting away of the things that cover our upright member (righteousness means upright, and He IS the Seed), which is what the parable of the wheat and the tares is all about.

Maybe we were led into it from being abused as a child. The spirit of it still has transfer rights, because whoever you are joined to, willingly or not, that spirit has a legal right to become one with YOU. And that goes for ANY DARKNESS. Which is one reason why He's so adamant against fornication; it only serves to strengthen the bands that are already there (by receiving a double portion) or by addition of something that wasn't.

So knowing that, can we see why HIS LOVE, which seeks not it's own things, would be very strict towards the issue, knowing that His child, whom He LOVES (not as mankind "loves" who only seek after their own things and not the things which be of Christ), is taking on even more darkness that leads to nothing but poverty, sickness and death, the very curses He sent His Son in the flesh of Yeshua to overcome?

So our focus should not just be on the "sinner" of which we are all one, but rather on the nature and the quality of the love we are expressing we claim is from G-d, to try to help that sinner. If it doesn't line up with His, then it's one of those carnal beastly natures of the serpent, which is more SUBTLE than all the other beasts of the field (you and me). Be wise as a serpent, but gentle as a dove. That means to have the wisdom of the subtle serpent has (who knows how to slay man any better than he?), but the gentleness of the dove when dealing with it (who knows how to LOVE but He who IS LOVE?) Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 03-09-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 AM

782 posts, read 296,363 times
Quote:
I am LGBT

You sound like a nice person, but with all due respect 'nice' doesn't mean squat to God. You can't bribe, beg or steal your way into the Kingdom of God. Nobody can. Acceptance of Christ and His way of living is what He demands. In the end, the judgment upon all of us is what we have done with Christ's wishes. Like it or not we must all answer to that. Sinners hate it. The just struggle with it mightily. It isn't easy for anybody.

I would be doing you and the reader a disservice if I wrote it any other way. I would be lying if I said God accepted other ways of living. Sometimes life throws us hard balls and we have to accept it and move on - or get plowed under. Denial of sexual lusts is one of those hard things to swallow. You must understand that if you want to have a relationship with Christ. Anyone who wishes to follow Christ MUST deny the desires of the self and carry the cross we're given if we wish to follow Him. Anybody that tells you different is a disciple of the devil. Any religious person that tells you different has an ulterior agenda (usually to make money from your contributions). Jesus said the condemnation of these corrupt persons is greater because "they make people twice as fit for hell as they are themselves."

Personally I don't give a damn what you do with your private life.

I really don't. But one hand washes the other as they say and it's really none of your business what I do with mine either - which is another point I need to make. What I think, do and say is my business not yours. For some reason gays seem to think it is. You can't have it both ways kiddo.

Part of the deal with God is to give warning to those who disrespect His wishes. That is a general principle with Him. Followers of Christ do not have authority from God or anybody else to force a life style upon anyone else. We really don't, but for spite's sake those who are warned seem to holler as though we do. Believe me when I say that if such authority were given to me I would dare not use it. Tyranny in whatever form it takes is in opposition to the designs of the Kingdom of God.

Another person has written here saying that followers of Christ can have any sexual life they want. This simply isn't true, but if my words are not accepted then by all means please consider those of the Word of God.

“Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men”
- 1 Cor. 6:9

Those who are disobedient “...will go off to eternal punishment, but those who have done what God wants will go to eternal life.”
- Jesus quoted by Matt 25:45-46

Anybody who thinks they can live the gay life style and follow Christ at the same time has believed a lie. Anybody who tells you this is possible is speaking with the voice of satan.

Live as you choose, but know this that there will be an accounting for what you do. I have here given warning. If you don't like it, that's your business.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-09-2016 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Quit using red text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or