Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

2 Corinthians 3:7-11 (NKJV)
Glory of the New Covenant
7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

I see this verse used alot to say the 10C's were just temporary commandments, so am I missing something in the text here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

I see this verse used alot to say the 10C's were just temporary commandments, so am I missing something in the text here?
They were but temporary commandments. Jesus was the one who stated what all of the OT laws really meant:

Quote:
Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Matt. 22:35-40

It's simply impossible to love your neighbor as yourself and not keep ALL the Ten Commandments, but it sure makes it a lot easier than memorizing those ten--or any other laws. And it makes it possible to dismiss all the ones that are not illustrative of loving our neighbors as ourselves. When we keep the second commandment, we by default keep the first.

Christianity cannot be proved first and practiced later. Its proof and practice go hand in hand. Men say when they know, the will do; Jesus says when they do, the will know.

The seeds of truth, and the understanding of Scripture, sprout in the soil of obedience.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Matthew 5:17-18 - "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

1- The law is still in place. Notice verse 11 in 2 Corinthians 3... "is passing away"... meaning that it has not yet completely passed away.

2- What we have with the ministry of the Holy Spirit is better than the law.

If Jesus dwells in us, He is the fulfillment of the law for us.

Also...

Romans 7:4-6 - Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Those who died with Christ are released from the law. It does not say the law is abolished.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:33 PM

1,146 posts, read 648,085 times
Quote:

People who don't know squat about the Torah pretend to be able to answer this question. As a result we are treated to a lot of illiterate bovine excrement from them. They may mean well, but they betray their ignorance.

NO ONE HAS A LICENSE TO SIN.

Jesus did not die on the cross so that Christians could have a license to sin. The ten commandments are still fully in effect. In fact, 1 Peter 4:17 is ignored by these people to their own detriment. If you sin you risk punishment from Adonai, God of the Universe. Sin is serious business in the Kingdom of Heaven and it will not be excused. Saving grace enables one to fight the good fight AGAINST sin with a reasonable hope of winning.

Consult the book of Leviticus for a review of the law and sacrifices prescribed by God. Jesus did not come to subvert the law or to toss it in the rubbish heap. Jesus came to fulfill the law. If you don't know what fulfillment means, then you have no business writing about it.

Fulfillment means that the REQUIREMENT of the law with regard to just punishment for sin was met. Fulfillment means that Jesus took the punishment for sins upon Himself on the cross. He did not remove it from planet earth and He did not remove its attacks upon us nor did He remove temptation. Nowhere in the law does it allow for continued sin against He who sits upon the righteous throne of heaven. It allows for forgiveness and a second chance at righteousness.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, if a justified man or woman turns back to sin and embraces it he or she will incur the wrath of God - usually quite quickly. The law has NOT been nullified. The requirement of the law HAS been met in terms of the blood of Christ. Sacrifices for sin in terms of animal deaths have been removed because the death of Christ has permanently filled the requirement. BUT fulfilling the requirement for punishment for sin does not open the doors for anyone to live any damn way they want to.

Every man and woman is answerable to God for what they did or did not do with the just sacrifice provided upon the cross.

Nobody gets a bye week in the battle against sin.

All the other laws, including the Ten Commandments, are still fully in effect. God has not changed, neither has His law changed.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:

What you are missing is the simple fact that Law can only address our actions; that Law breeds lawyers who are paid to find ways to get around the letter of the Law because people are not committed to the reason for the Law, however imperfectly laws express that reason.

What is required for community with God and man is not adherence to Law, but a commitment to the concern for the well-being of everyone (in balance) in any situation. What is "more glorious" is THAT Spirit that should animate and support the purpose of Law and not necessarily the letter.

Please note, DRb4JC, that the sense of verse 11 is that Law is transitory while the Spirit is eternal, not some nit-picking proposition concerning verb tense.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:24 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
What it`s all about is that believer receive Jesus Spirit at salvation , and Jesus Holy spirit will direct believer through their humilities to God to be lead by the Spirit ,And then Jesus spirit does not break the 10 commandment , and then the two commandments of Jesus and will lead believer to humble themselves to obey the commandments .......................And if believer break a commandment the devil could give a curse, then where through Jesus grace and authority will break the curse and just continue to lead believer to obey the commandments with ease .............................See Christians are not under the law of Moses , where the temple feast and sacrifice is abolished , and the sacrifice of bulls and sheep are blaspheme in Heaven .., but the Ten commandment , and two commandments are inbred through Jesus Holy Spirit ..................... So if God does not lead your walk then you should pray and receive Jesus Holy spirit , so you can be under the spirit and not the law

Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
I think you're seeing what you want to see. In that, you're no different from the rest of us.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
According to unrepentant sinners, and those who condone sin,
you don't have to follow the 10 Commandments anymore.
In this thread you see a poster attempt to mischaracterize
Christ's description of the reasons for the 10 Commandments.
The devil is cunning.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Please note, DRb4JC, that the sense of verse 11 is that Law is transitory while the Spirit is eternal, not some nit-picking proposition concerning verb tense.

Sorry... words mean things. I know that can be a problem for some...

Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Two laws, one for the outer man and one for the inner.

Romans 7
Struggling with Sin

21So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[SIZE=4]d[/SIZE] a slave to the law of sin.

Galatians 4

Hagar and Sarah
…23But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.…

2 sons who struggle in the same body.

I am a slave to Christ in the body, and yet I am also a free man in Christ, and there is a law for the flesh just as there is a covenant of grace for the inner man.

Hagar has absolutely nothing to do with Jerusalem and the first covenant has absolutely nothing to do with Ishmael under the law of the first covenant UNLESS we know and understand that the first born is this flesh, this life we lead as slaves in a body for Christ and our next life is of the son who is free in Isaac, and pertaining to Jerusalem above.

Romans 7:1
1Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity