U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:31 PM

23,408 posts, read 12,113,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
...snip...

Does that make me a bad person?
Nope. Not at all.

Just an honest, and perhaps too self-critical one.

But you have a good heart. That counts for more than just about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 PM

26,255 posts, read 14,135,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
There is a lot of wall building. So much separation. Especially as it relates to the LGBT community. Whih is where I speak from. A whole lot of judging, a whole lot of "love the sinner, hate the sin" which Christ never taught. Christ taught "Love the sinner. Hate your own sin." There is a whole lot of hurtful, and damaging condemnation. A whole lot of ignoring the other, the "least of these." A lot can be seen in the way many christians treat the LGBT community, and the atheist community, and the muslim community, undocumented immigrants, the poor, etc. I could go on for pages, but the mods would rise up as one and slay me, so I won't. Christ spent time with those the Pharisees would have nothing to do with. I see the modern church acting just like the Pharisees.
I have nothing against you.

Christ taught... follow Me.

Just stay focused on Him. Forget all the noise.

The world will have you running in a million different directions, when only one direction is necessary.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 AM

13,339 posts, read 4,270,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nope. Not at all.

Just an honest, and perhaps too self-critical one.

But you have a good heart. That counts for more than just about anything.

Good Old Trout, ever had Mustard Trout, that is some good stuff. Too Critical, if you only knew me, you would be disgusted too, nobody really shows you the bad side, well some people do, but most of us learn how to hide in the dark. If I am anywhere, I am in the back corner and it's amazing how many people will tell me to lift my head.

They obviously aint seen crazy eyes yet.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:46 AM

4,074 posts, read 1,152,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
...snip...

I do things that I wished I didn't do, and I always find myself in sin no matter how hard I try, but I KNOW I am in sin, I don't rationalize it, and I am utterly and completely guilty as anyone who commits sexually immoral acts.

...snips some more...

Does that make me a bad person?
You seem a little too self critical. Self examination is awesome. Kicking the crap out of yourself is not.

You're definitely not a bad person. I don't think so anyway.

The bolded part. It reminds me of what St. Paul wrote in Romans (7:15) "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

I smoke cigarettes. I hate them, the smell, the taste. I hate feeling that they have control over me. That addiction thing. But you don't want to know the geekzilla that would be unleashed if I tried to quit right now.

I drink way too much coffee, which is really hard on my remaining kidney. Though it is made mostly of water, so I am drinking water. :-p

We all struggle with our own things. It doesn't make us bad. Just human.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 AM

10,085 posts, read 4,174,433 times
Quote:
]I see the modern church acting just like the Pharisees.
If the modern church acts this way can you just imagine how it acted in the 1700's?

I think the church has always been an oppressive institution.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 6,680,078 times
Sure there is a lot of judging the world by believers who are weak in the grace of God , and only sinless people should caste the first stones ........ But please don`t demean Jesus , as His ethics is true , and when you demean God then you corrupt your soul ....... See God is life and peace when people promote death then God will not be there

Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 AM

8,654 posts, read 11,909,488 times
What is left of value in the name? Was there ever any?

Has there ever been any good fruit in it's history of horror?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,792,733 times
I think it would help you to come FULLY to the realization that YOU ARE THE "CHURCH", "CHURCH" IS WHEREVER YOU ARE. He's in you, closer than a brother. Where can you go, therefore that He is not?

You want to "have church", go grab another believe by the hand and begin worship together, because where two or more of you are gathered in His name, there He is in the midst of you. You don't have to GO anywhere, therefore, you ARE THE CHURCH. You are His temple.

Now if you feel like you need a shot of corporate worship sometime, that is fine, too, but it should not be your measuring stick on your walk, or THEIR measuring stick on your walk, as we all go ALONE to the Father. Peace

Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 AM

1,450 posts, read 804,297 times
Quote:
There is a lot of wall building. So much separation. Especially as it relates to the LGBT community. Whih is where I speak from. A whole lot of judging, a whole lot of "love the sinner, hate the sin" which Christ never taught. Christ taught "Love the sinner. Hate your own sin." There is a whole lot of hurtful, and damaging condemnation. A whole lot of ignoring the other, the "least of these." A lot can be seen in the way many christians treat the LGBT community, and the atheist community, and the muslim community, undocumented immigrants, the poor, etc. I could go on for pages, but the mods would rise up as one and slay me, so I won't. Christ spent time with those the Pharisees would have nothing to do with. I see the modern church acting just like the Pharisees.
All these religious ideas you have are based on myths, not any of it can be substantiated. Did you know there is no record of any person, Jesus as the Rabi, as a tangible proof in existence? We know there was a real Herod, and we may know there was a person, Pontius Pilate , per Tiberius, but no living record of Jesus.

All the myths of a great god date back to Egypt, with Akhenaten

It is all too contrived. If it were not for the falling of Rome, with Constantine, another real person, the Christian religion would have died out. The Midge-Ages kept the myth alive for 1000 years, and even in modern times, it is still, a major religion.

I think it has fallen out of favor is recent times because there is more awareness today? The Jews have a different way for relating to their religion, I think for most, it is a social identity. The Muslims are the most carried away with mythology and look what it has done to them; the main reason they have trouble with the west is they never moved away from religion.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,792,733 times
Uh, Josephus, for one, wrote about Him....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity