U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 PM

42,262 posts, read 49,821,133 times

Advertisements

Don't understand something.
Okay, I can see being concerned about sinning because you personally don't want to defy God's word and want to go to heaven (although there are apparently a bunch of loopholes around this anyway).

Why do you care if anyone else sins? Why is that so important?

And if the sin is just as much of a sin in the mind as it is if you actually act on it, how can you possibly legislate it away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 03:54 PM

20,587 posts, read 22,744,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Erhman doesn't know what he's talking about.

The simple fact is that it is an unproven assertion
that ANY of the Josephus texts regarding Christ or
His Church were tampered with by Christians. That
simply has not been proven at all. It is suspected by some,
but not proven, because there is no evidence that Josephus
was tampered with.

The faulty assertion that "no Jew" could have written the
small part that speaks of Christ's divine nature is historically
untenable. This perception that there was a clean break or
a clear dividing line between Christ-believing Jews and non-Christ
believing Jews at the specific time of Josephus is incorrect.

It was common for Jews, especially those who lived in Rome
such as Josephus to consider themselves fully Jewish and not
"Christian", yet talk of, and even believe, the very same thing
today's Christians do concerning Jesus.
The clean break did not happen until decades after.
Says another theologian with many times more studying and research?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:31 PM

4,071 posts, read 1,148,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Geekigurl, your biblical knowledge and sincere desire to walk closer with God while being an LGBT person is a conundrum for fundamentalists who prefer to be able to paint people they consider "sinners" with a broad "child of the devil brush."

At the same time there are many of us who are Christ followers whom they will paint with the same brush. None of us in that broad category fit into the mold of their perfect rulebook. They don't even let Jesus get in the way of protecting their idol. Jesus complements their idol rather than the Bible being a pointer toward Jesus.

I predict that if you stay long on these threads you will continue to undermine that idol while pointing to Jesus.

Keep it up! Christ followers can see Jesus in your posts.
I hope so. Thank you Wardendresden. <3

Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 PM

8,597 posts, read 5,122,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The wall building will continue unless there is repentance and a willingness to turn away from sin. You seem to subscribe to a type of Christianity that tries to marry itself with new worldwide ideology of accepting and embracing "if it feels good, do it" type morality. Therefore, it is considering "judging" if a Christian even dares speaks and addresses such things as sin. That's not the example of Christ at all. Christ spoke directly, harshly and strongly against sin. Christ also condemned the Pharisees for judging, but their type of judgement was more in the vein of believing that they were better than other people when in reality on a heart based level, they were rotten to the core.
John Lennon, an agnostic, knew Jesus better then than you do now.

Lennon wrote "It matters not who you love, where you love, why you love, when you love, or how you love. It only matters that you love."

And Christ spoke harshly only to Pharisees, the greatest bible-believers of His day, calling them vipers and white washed tombs full of bones and rottenness. Religious "bible believers" were the only ones to whom He gave personal warnings about their sin. But God has covered your eyes and stopped your ears lest you repent and have the minuscule faith of Lennon.

If you had the faith Lennon exhibited you could move mountains. Instead, on this thread you told someone to do what you refuse to do---look at their own sin.

Moderator cut: deleted insults
Lennon's interview about his beliefs is a greater witness than you have ever, and, IMO, will ever have, so steeped you are in Pharisaism.

Here are Lennon’s own words:
“It’s just an expression (when he said the Beatles were bigger than Christ) meaning the Beatles seem to me to have more influence over youth than Christ. Now I wasn’t saying that was a good idea, ‘cos I’m one of Christ’s biggest fans. And if I can turn the focus on the Beatles on to Christ’s message, then that’s what we’re here to do.”

Last edited by june 7th; 03-10-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Let me guess: You're either a Trump or Bernie supporter? Not to argue politics...that's not my point.
I'm apolitical. I have no idea who I'm voting for, or even if I will.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The wall building will continue unless there is repentance and a willingness to turn away from sin. You seem to subscribe to a type of Christianity that tries to marry itself with new worldwide ideology of accepting and embracing "if it feels good, do it" type morality. Therefore, it is considering "judging" if a Christian even dares speaks and addresses such things as sin. That's not the example of Christ at all. Christ spoke directly, harshly and strongly against sin. Christ also condemned the Pharisees for judging, but their type of judgement was more in the vein of believing that they were better than other people when in reality on a heart based level, they were rotten to the core.

What things? You don't even know me. I'll list my sins though, I have no shame, as Christ has vindicated me.

I smoke cigarettes, even though I know it's very bad for me.

I drink too much coffee. Way too much coffee.

I don't care for my body like I know I should.

I don't spend enough time in prayer, though I'd like to.

I don't spend enough time studying the Bible, even though, I'd like to.

I eat too much of the wrong things. I don't eat enough of the right things.

If you want to talk about 'other' sins, we can talk about sin.

Let’s talk about sin.

Let’s talk about sin beyond behavior modifications and moral choices. Let’s talk about the sin of our inability to live out our true selves. God made us in God’s image, the Creator of all of Universe, and yet how often we fail to allow our ability to create flourish? How often do we fail to nurture and make space for our young people to exercise their God-given creativity?

Let’s talk about the sin of complacency, of allowing our faith to remain stagnant and stale because we refuse to imagine greater possibilities and let the Holy Spirit guide us and change our ideas of our institutions, our churches, our society, and even our ideas of God.

Let’s talk about sin done to other people. Hurt people hurt people. Many times a person “sins” by being angry or vengeful but only because they have been hurt and sinned against terribly and for a long time. Yet we seem to only see the sin of the victim while being quick to forgive the perpetrator. Let’s be quick to judge sin…for abusers and tyrants and oppressors, because many of them are walking around home free, preaching in the name of Jesus Christ.

Let’s talk about collective sin. Generational sin. Systemic sin. Corporate sin. When that little boy drowned and washed up on the shore, were we talking about the gravity of our systemic, collective sin that failed him? Were there church services held to grieve and lament the depth of our violence towards that boy? Are we talking about racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, environmental injustice and greed? Are we repenting each time we consume electronics borne of conflict minerals, wear clothes made in sweat shops, eat meat that ravages our planet?

Let’s talk about the sin of individualism, our profound loss of ability to listen to another person’s lived experience without judgment, agenda, and moral superiority? Look around! We are a people who know how to speak but have forgotten how to listen.

That's not the sin you wanted to talk about though, is it Jeff?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 PM

37,531 posts, read 25,255,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You consistently seem unable to get the point of any posts that point toward the evil in your beliefs and practices. You carry a heavy burden, Vizio, for perpetuating the un-love in the Christain mainstream dogma. The worst of sins is pointing to others' sins and harming or discriminating against them because of it. That is Dark Ages insanity. We are NOT to enforce ANY of God's rules on anyone but ourselves. We are certainly NOT to pretend to know who IS or IS NOT a Christian in God's eyes. That kind of arrogance and hubris is no part of Christ's Gospel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Umm...what the heck are you talking about?
The gist of your posts here in the forum, Vizio. You presume to preach and influence others to your understanding (a dangerous role), yet you ignore the evil within your views and dogma. You carry a heavy burden. Those who harm or hurt or mistreat or discriminate against others because of their so-called sins at your direction are sinning against the Holy Spirit (Who IS agape love). You DO realize what sinning against the Holy Spirit means for them don't you???What was that verse about making them twice the children of the devil . . . or something like that???

Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 PM

8,597 posts, read 5,122,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
What things? You don't even know me. I'll list my sins though, I have no shame, as Christ has vindicated me.

I smoke cigarettes, even though I know it's very bad for me.

I drink too much coffee. Way too much coffee.

I don't care for my body like I know I should.

I don't spend enough time in prayer, though I'd like to.

I don't spend enough time studying the Bible, even though, I'd like to.

I eat too much of the wrong things. I don't eat enough of the right things.

If you want to talk about 'other' sins, we can talk about sin.

Letís talk about sin.

Letís talk about sin beyond behavior modifications and moral choices. Letís talk about the sin of our inability to live out our true selves. God made us in Godís image, the Creator of all of Universe, and yet how often we fail to allow our ability to create flourish? How often do we fail to nurture and make space for our young people to exercise their God-given creativity?

Letís talk about the sin of complacency, of allowing our faith to remain stagnant and stale because we refuse to imagine greater possibilities and let the Holy Spirit guide us and change our ideas of our institutions, our churches, our society, and even our ideas of God.

Letís talk about sin done to other people. Hurt people hurt people. Many times a person ďsinsĒ by being angry or vengeful but only because they have been hurt and sinned against terribly and for a long time. Yet we seem to only see the sin of the victim while being quick to forgive the perpetrator. Letís be quick to judge sinÖfor abusers and tyrants and oppressors, because many of them are walking around home free, preaching in the name of Jesus Christ.

Letís talk about collective sin. Generational sin. Systemic sin. Corporate sin. When that little boy drowned and washed up on the shore, were we talking about the gravity of our systemic, collective sin that failed him? Were there church services held to grieve and lament the depth of our violence towards that boy? Are we talking about racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, environmental injustice and greed? Are we repenting each time we consume electronics borne of conflict minerals, wear clothes made in sweat shops, eat meat that ravages our planet?

Letís talk about the sin of individualism, our profound loss of ability to listen to another personís lived experience without judgment, agenda, and moral superiority? Look around! We are a people who know how to speak but have forgotten how to listen.

That's not the sin you wanted to talk about though, is it Jeff?
Preach it, geekigurl!! You put shame to these fundamentalists! Too soon to rep you, but

Old 03-10-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Preach it, geekigurl!! You put shame to these fundamentalists! Too soon to rep you, but
Knowing you understand, accept and support me means more to me than a million reps, Wardendresden, and the stuff about the Beatles was amazing. I knew about the "Beatles more popular than Jesus" quote, but I never knew the context.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 AM

I have a few questions. It seems as though since I'm open about being trans and bisexual, some seem to think that I'm all in favor of "anything goes" morality. I don't know where this is coming from. Why do some think this? The only thing that's changed is me simply living my truth, and being open about it. I'm not sure how that translates to " if it feels good, do it" morality. It doesn't feel good, it sucks most of the time. But it is what it is, and I have to live the life given to me. Can I get an explanation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity