U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times

Advertisements

You certainly do have many choices, i'd start with the one closest to where you will be living.=
https://www.google.ca/#q=baptist+chu...county+florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Even within a denomination, churches can have distinct personalities. Attend several until one place feels absolutely right for you.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 AM

8,238 posts, read 9,994,274 times
Far too often, folks decide on a church based on a plethora of extraneous issues: 'Is it entertaining?', 'Do they like the children's program?', 'Does one like the music?' 'Do the people seem friendly?' Perhaps this is a reflection of why people attend church today. They are looking for an enjoyable way to spend an hour or two on Sunday.

How about: 'Are they solidly rooted in Scripture?', 'Do they have an outreach effort that makes a difference in the community?', 'What percentage of their budget actually gets outside the church?', 'Are the people actually being equipped to live faithfully ... between Sunday's?' and 'Is the emphasis on worshiping God or on church programs?'.

The old Alice in Wonderland exchange between Alice and the Caterpillar seems appropriate: "Which way do I go, which way do I go?" .... "Where are you going?" ... "I don't really know!" .... "Then it doesn't really matter which way you go."

Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM

676 posts, read 699,713 times
Default Churches

I totally agree with the second paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Far too often, folks decide on a church based on a plethora of extraneous issues: 'Is it entertaining?', 'Do they like the children's program?', 'Does one like the music?' 'Do the people seem friendly?' Perhaps this is a reflection of why people attend church today. They are looking for an enjoyable way to spend an hour or two on Sunday.

How about: 'Are they solidly rooted in Scripture?', 'Do they have an outreach effort that makes a difference in the community?', 'What percentage of their budget actually gets outside the church?', 'Are the people actually being equipped to live faithfully ... between Sunday's?' and 'Is the emphasis on worshiping God or on church programs?'.

The old Alice in Wonderland exchange between Alice and the Caterpillar seems appropriate: "Which way do I go, which way do I go?" .... "Where are you going?" ... "I don't really know!" .... "Then it doesn't really matter which way you go."

Old 03-15-2016, 08:46 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I love the 'Are you serious?' one.

Can I suggest a question for you, if you do 'interview the Pastor' (ROFL):

Do you believe in mutual submission between 'leaders' and 'led', in accordance with gifting and anointing?
That really depends on what one means by "mutual submission" as you phrase it.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 611,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That really depends on what one means by "mutual submission" as you phrase it.
The only thing that can be meant by it: whoever is right and hearing the Holy Spirit on a matter, the others defers to them. Hence the role of the prophetic gifting in the church, to weigh and test.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
The only thing that can be meant by it: whoever is right and hearing the Holy Spirit on a matter, the others defers to them. Hence the role of the prophetic gifting in the church, to weigh and test.
What happens if someone claims to be hearing the Spirit but is instead suffering from a bad taco? How do you know?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:03 PM

741 posts, read 271,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

It saddens me, but you hit the nail on the head.

We conform to God and not the other way around. Are we so surprised though by how some people make a choice? Look at how, sad to say, a majority of religions and their leaders act. These say they are representing God. Yet they act like they have never cracked open a Bible. Because lets be honest...they haven't! In fact more and more are tossing Bible out the window. There is a term I use quite often. 'Courtyard trampling'. This is in reference of Isaiah chapter 1. The people of Israel go to God's temple but their offerings are meaningless. Their worship is meaningless. Their incense is detestable. Their prayers, He no longer listens to them. Why? Because their deeds are wicked. The Bible says in Is 1:12, "When you come to appear before me, Who has required this from you, This trampling of my courtyards?" Meaning that all the Israelites were accomplishing was trampling the courtyard. Of course by the time God felt this way, Israel had also tossed their laws out the window and gone to selling children into prostitution and burning them alive. But the principle is still there. If we go to worship God at some church but that congregation's deeds don't match God's principles then all we are doing is 'trampling the courtyard' or merely wearing out the carpet in some building.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 03-15-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What happens if someone claims to be hearing the Spirit but is instead suffering from a bad taco? How do you know?
There is a standard, Vizio - agape love. If their bad taco produces something that is not compatible with agape love it is NOT of the Spirit of God, period. You keep pretending there is no standard, when in reality you just ignore it.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is a standard, Vizio - agape love. If their bad taco produces something that is not compatible with agape love it is NOT of the Spirit of God, period. You keep pretending there is no standard, when in reality you just ignore it.
Define it for me. What is and is not "compatible" with agape love?

Is worshiping Allah compatible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or