Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 05:15 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...20&version=NIV

This passage says that not even the "least of the commandments" should be disregarded. And that no one can enter the kingdom of heaven unless he follows every commandment. Even the least of them.

What does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 07:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Jesus upholds all that he taught in regard to the law, and it all equally condemns all men and women to hell. The only way to be saved therefore is something that overcomes the law, and that is the righteousness of Jesus, that God offers to all who believe, have faith in, trust Jesus, regard Him as God, repent of their sins.

Ro 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.
Ro 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Ro 3:21 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
Ro 3:22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference,
Ro 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Ro 3:24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
God's law is perfect & holy. No one can enjoy Christ's justifying righteousness, till he repents of his evil deeds. Christian's should delight in God's law & desire to walk uprightly. If a man desires to disobey the holy law of God, or teaches others to do the same, he is not a true disciple. Christ's righteousness, imputed to us by faith alone, is needed by every one that desires to enter the kingdom of God. A new life in Christ produces a thorough change in a man's temper and conduct.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM

741 posts, read 444,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

This passage says that not even the "least of the commandments" should be disregarded. And that no one can enter the kingdom of heaven unless he follows every commandment. Even the least of them.

What does this mean?
Jesus was speaking of the Jewish leaders of the time. If we look at more of the passage, "Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches others to do so...."

The Jewish leaders of the time were not teaching law correctly in the first place. Jesus understood the Law completely. and regarded it holy. Jesus was speaking of not only intent to break the law but to teach others to break the law as well. In fact he notes in the verse 16 that he came to fulfill the law and not destroy it. The leaders of the day were trying to do the opposite. Jesus knows no one could follow the Law fully like he could. However, Jesus said, "For I say to you that if your righteousness does not surpass that of the scribes and the Pharisees, you will by no means enter into the Kingdom of the heavens." So right there Jesus set the bar. We can't be like the scribes and Pharisees who not only intended to break the law but teaching others to so as well.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 03-14-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Read what Jesus said . "The least of these commandments ".

Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

What does this mean?
It means you need to be joined to Jesus Christ (through faith in His death and resurrected life) so that at your judgment, God sees His righteousness (since He followed the law perfectly) instead of our unrighteousness. That's what it means for you and me today.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
To me, it's just one more passage illustrating the untruths that permeate the bible.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It means you need to be joined to Jesus Christ (through faith in His death and resurrected life) so that at your judgment, God sees His righteousness (since He followed the law perfectly) instead of our unrighteousness. That's what it means for you and me today.
Well said!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No one can enjoy Christ's justifying righteousness,
till he repents of his evil deeds. .
Funny...all the criminal at Jesus' right side had to say was, "Lord, remember me when you
come into your kingdom..." Mark 15, Luke 23, Matt 27

Did he repent? He just said they deserved what they got, but that Jesus was innocent.
I don't interpret that as repenting...I see that as simply asking what the question says...
Lord, remember me...and that was enough.

He didn't say, Lord forgive me, nor, I am so sorry for all my past acts, please
remember me in your kingdom, did he?
There are too many laws people think you have to do ...sorry...there really is only
a sincere heart necessary.
Accept that we are heirs...even tho we are stupidly missing the mark so often still.

Is our Father looking at all the laws we follow or is He looking into our hearts?
Is there a difference? I say yes; a weak man can still succumb
to missing the mark, and still love our Father.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Funny...all the criminal at Jesus' right side had to say was, "Lord, remember me when you
come into your kingdom..." Mark 15, Luke 23, Matt 27

Did he repent? He just said they deserved what they got, but that Jesus was innocent.
I don't interpret that as repenting...I see that as simply asking what the question says...
Lord, remember me...and that was enough.

He didn't say, Lord forgive me, nor, I am so sorry for all my past acts, please
remember me in your kingdom, did he?
There are too many laws people think you have to do ...sorry...there really is only
a sincere heart necessary.
Accept that we are heirs...even tho we are stupidly missing the mark so often still.

Is our Father looking at all the laws we follow or is He looking into our hearts?
Is there a difference? I say yes; a weak man can still succumb
to missing the mark, and still love our Father.
Yes, I think he did repent, maybe not in so many words, but he admitted he was guilty & deserving of death. A person must realize they have "missed the mark" before understanding their need for a savior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity