U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM

425 posts, read 180,566 times

Advertisements

-
. 1Cor 1:3 . . Grace to you, and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I seriously doubt the average rank and file pew warmer even knows what grace is. I suspect that most are under the impression that grace is somehow a quantifiable substance like butter and gasoline; but in regards to God, grace is an abstract noun that expresses qualities apart from substance.

The New Testament Greek word for "grace" is charis (khar'-ece); which means: graciousness.

Webster's defines graciousness as: kind, courteous, inclined to good will, generous, charitable, merciful, altruistic, compassionate, thoughtful, cordial, affable, genial, sociable, cheerful, warm, sensitive, considerate, and tactful.

Cordial stresses warmth and heartiness

Affable implies easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to conversation or requests or proposals

Genial stresses cheerfulness and even joviality

Sociable suggests a genuine liking for the companionship of others

Generous is characterized by a noble or forbearing spirit; viz: magnanimous, kindly, and liberal in giving

Charitable means full of love for, and goodwill toward, others; viz: benevolent, tolerant, and lenient.

Altruistic means unselfish regard for, or devotion to, the welfare of others; viz: a desire to be of service to others for no other reason than it just feels good to do so.

Tactful indicates a keen sense of what to do, or say, in order to maintain good relations with others in order to resolve and/or avoid unnecessary conflict.

Compassion defines a sympathetic awareness of others' distress, coupled with a desire to alleviate it.

The Old Testament Hebrew word for grace is chen (khane); and means the same as charis (e.g. Gen 6:8).

When all those lovely attributes are combined, they paint a very good picture of the bright side of God's personality; and the extent of His good will towards the Corinthian church.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:32 PM

20,301 posts, read 15,654,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
-
. 1Cor 1:3 . . Grace to you, and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I seriously doubt the average rank and file pew warmer even knows what grace is. I suspect that most are under the impression that grace is somehow a quantifiable substance like butter and gasoline; but in regards to God, grace is an abstract noun that expresses qualities apart from substance.

The New Testament Greek word for "grace" is charis (khar'-ece); which means: graciousness.

Webster's defines graciousness as: kind, courteous, inclined to good will, generous, charitable, merciful, altruistic, compassionate, thoughtful, cordial, affable, genial, sociable, cheerful, warm, sensitive, considerate, and tactful.

Affable implies easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to conversation or requests or proposals

Generous is characterized by a noble or forbearing spirit; viz: magnanimous, kindly, and liberal in giving

Charitable means full of love for, and goodwill toward, others; viz: benevolent, tolerant, and lenient.

Altruistic means unselfish regard for, or devotion to, the welfare of others; viz: a desire to be of service to others for no other reason than it just feels good to do so.

Tactful indicates a keen sense of what to do, or say, in order to maintain good relations with others in order to resolve and/or avoid unnecessary conflict.

Compassion defines a sympathetic awareness of others' distress, coupled with a desire to alleviate it.

The Old Testament Hebrew word for grace is chen (khane); and means the same as charis (e.g. Gen 6:8).

When all those lovely attributes are combined, they paint a very good picture of the bright side of God's personality; and the extent of His good will towards the Corinthian church.

To put it simply, grace is God's attitude and policy concerning mankind and is based on Christ's finished redemptive work on the cross. Grace means that our eternal salvation depends entirely on God rather than on us.
But God's grace is expressed even toward the unbeliever in that by the grace of God the rain falls on both the good and the evil. By God's grace the Holy Spirit makes the gospel message understandable to the unbeliever and makes the faith of the person who believes the gospel message effective for salvation. God's grace is present in the life of the believer. Even when the believer is under divine discipline, that discipline is done in grace. And there is dying grace for the spiritually mature believer facing death so that he can have peace and confidence while dying.

The believer is exhorted to come boldly to the throne of grace so that he may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16).

Old 03-14-2016, 04:32 PM

7,861 posts, read 6,669,826 times
See we Christians live in the age of grace , which God gives , as salvation is by the grace of God and then the spiritual works of Jesus come by the grace of Father God who gives provision ...................See there is nothing from Heaven apart for the judgment of the cross of Jesus who shed His blood , so all grace will come by this blood of Jesus judgment ....................Like believers pray and then receive from God , will come by this judgment of the cross , as a substitute for all grace and provisions ......................for example if a believer falls into sin and then demon spirit holds a curse on the believer , then the believer prays with a demon on His back and even talking by words of demons , then God will judge that and will not hear the prayer , where grace and provision will not come , as the judgment of the cross stops which demons and fallen angels have authority on the believer .......................So the believer would need to repent and turn from the sin of demons and pray for cleansing from the evil spirit , then the cross of Jesus Judgment will come and God can answer prayers ................................In the age after the age of Grace which the demons and fallen angels and the antichrist and false prophet are locked in chains by God , then this thousand year reign will be a age of abundance , as there will not be any sin in the earth , so abundance of grace will be needed by God , or then the demons and devils will come back with sin in the earth , in the very last days God warns His children of this time .....

Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,889,434 times
Quote:
-
†. 1Cor 1:3 . . Grace to you, and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe that grace is any unmerited favor. Any good thing given to us by God is given by grace, because God is not obligated to give us anything or do anything for us. He does so entirely out of love. That's grace.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:58 PM

425 posts, read 180,566 times
-
God's kindness and generosity are sometimes unmerited; but not always.

Take for example Noah.

†. Gen 6:5-8 . . Then Yhvh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the
earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil
continually. And Yhvh was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He
was grieved in His heart.

. . . So Yhvh said: I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of
the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am
sorry that I have made them. But Noah found grace in the eyes of Yhvh.

Noah obtained the grace of God specifically because he was righteous.

†. Gen 7:1 . .Then the Lord said to Noah: Enter the ark, you and all your household; for you alone I have seen to be righteous before Me in this time.

It only stands to reason that if the grace of God were always unmerited, then nobody would miss out on it; but even Christians are instructed that access to God's grace should never be taken for granted.

†. John 15:10 . . . If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love; just as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love.

†. Gal 5:4 . . You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

†. Heb 12:15-17 . . See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled; that there be no immoral or impious person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. For you know that even afterwards, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought for it with tears.

†. Jas 4:6 . . God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Last edited by NyawehNyoh; 03-14-2016 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,889,434 times
Quote:
-
Don't get me wrong. I definitely wasn't implying that God does not reward righteous behavior, obedience to His commandments or faithfulness to His word. I'm just saying that when God's kindness and generosity are given when unmerited, it's by grace that this is so.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 AM

20,583 posts, read 22,739,853 times
Quote:
-

Take for example Noah.

. Gen 6:5-8 . . Then Yhvh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the

. . . So Yhvh said: I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of

. Gen 7:1 . .Then the Lord said to Noah: Enter the ark, you and all your household; for you alone I have seen to be righteous before Me in this time.

It only stands to reason that if the grace of God were always unmerited, then nobody would miss out on it; but even Christians are instructed that access to God's grace should never be taken for granted.

. John 15:10 . . . If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love; just as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love.

. Gal 5:4 . . You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

. Heb 12:15-17 . . See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled; that there be no immoral or impious person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. For you know that even afterwards, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought for it with tears.

. Jas 4:6 . . God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Gen 6:5-8 . . Then Yhvh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the

This never ceases to amaze me--that a god who is allegedly OMNIPOTENT never saw this coming and was SHOCKED that this should happen??

So Yhvh said: I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of

Now, this loving, caring god is so ANGRY that He is wiling to destroy EVERYTHING because humanity has absolutely done what god never saw coming?

Yet in all the world, supposedly ONLY Noah was righteous? How was it that Noah was able to "obtain the grace of god" and not KNOW Jesus?

If Noah could obtain the grace of god without Jesus, what was the purpose for Jesus to have existed?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:09 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,557,405 times
Grace is basically the new covenant. As the scripture says:

The law was given through Moses, but GRACE and TRUTH came through Jesus Christ.

Notice which side truth is on?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:17 AM

15,161 posts, read 8,237,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Gen 6:5-8 . . Then Yhvh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the

This never ceases to amaze me--that a god who is allegedly OMNIPOTENT never saw this coming and was SHOCKED that this should happen??

So Yhvh said: I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of

Now, this loving, caring god is so ANGRY that He is wiling to destroy EVERYTHING because humanity has absolutely done what god never saw coming?

Yet in all the world, supposedly ONLY Noah was righteous? How was it that Noah was able to "obtain the grace of god" and not KNOW Jesus?

If Noah could obtain the grace of god without Jesus, what was the purpose for Jesus to have existed?
I'm impressed with your memorization skills! Oh, and the magenta color-very feminine.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM

15,552 posts, read 7,007,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I'm impressed with your memorization skills! Oh, and the magenta color-very feminine.
Perhaps Warden IS right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or