U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:42 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,453,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66
What discrepancies? Just because two accounts appear to conflict with each other does not necessarily indicate a discrepancy. We must always remember, we have finite minds. We cannot expect to resolve all challenging passages or Biblical issues.
Exactly. Most supposed discrepancies are the result of amateur bible students or amateur unbelievers who THINK they see an inconsistency where, actually, if they really knew how to think critically, would be able to resolve them.

Not only that but Christ specifically told the disciples that He would send the comforter which would REMIND THEM OF EVERYTHING HE SAID AND DID.
Did Christ lie? No, He never told a lie.

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-18-2016 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:19 AM

8,627 posts, read 5,133,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Exactly. Most supposed discrepancies are the result of amateur bible students or amateur unbelievers who THINK they see an inconsistency where, actually, if they really knew how to think critically, would be able to resolve them.

Not only that but Christ specifically told the disciples that He would send the comforter which would REMIND THEM OF EVERYTHING HE SAID AND DID.
Did Christ lie? No, He never told a lie.
I challenge you to reconcile the number of women at the tomb without making up a fiction story as to how it occurred. You cannot. Your made up story, and those of other biblilators, is nothing but a Christian Mishnah---a redaction to reconcile what is in plain sight.

You may be able to lie to yourself, but not thinking people, not young people, and not people who study Scripture without a preconceived idea of what they will find.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I challenge you to reconcile the number of women at the tomb without making up a fiction story as to how it occurred. You cannot. Your made up story, and those of other biblilators, is nothing but a Christian Mishnah---a redaction to reconcile what is in plain sight.

You may be able to lie to yourself, but not thinking people, not young people, and not people who study Scripture without a preconceived idea of what they will find.
That has already been done numerous times on these boards. Why do you think one more time will change your mind?

Here is something I'm sure you won't agree with since you have already made up your mind that there are contradictions:
https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/20...he-empty-tomb/

And if this doesn't convince you:

Then you will just have to wait for Jesus to return and spell it out for you.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
That has already been done numerous times on these boards. Why do you think one more time will change your mind?

Here is something I'm sure you won't agree with since you have already made up your mind that there are contradictions:

And if this doesn't convince you:

Then you will just have to wait for Jesus to return and spell it out for you.
You can't reconcile it--so you resort to another redactor to do it for you.

If the bible is "perfect" then men didn't even dip their quills in ink. God just wrote the book out like He did the handwriting on the wall.

Just pitiful crap that passes for scholarship among those who wish to worship an idol. But Pharisees do love their Mishnah, regardless of their religion.

Example
Two journalists witness five flying saucers come down. One reports four, the other reports two. The conclusion of the Pharisee--they really meant SIX!! Yeah, we get it.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
You can't reconcile it--so you resort to another redactor to do it for you.

If the bible is "perfect" then men didn't even dip their quills in ink. God just wrote the book out like He did the handwriting on the wall.

Just pitiful crap that passes for scholarship among those who wish to worship an idol. But Pharisees do love their Mishnah, regardless of their religion.

Example
Two journalists witness five flying saucers come down. One reports four, the other reports two. The conclusion of the Pharisee--they really meant SIX!! Yeah, we get it.
See what I mean? Nothing is good enough for you. I suppose if Jesus Christ Himself came and showed you the nail holes and hole in His side you will still not believe.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:28 PM

72,985 posts, read 64,465,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There seems to be only two views on how to address the discrepancies found between the differing gospel accounts.

1. They are actually different events, or they are told from different perspectives. (orthodox/fundamentalist)

2. They prove that the writers were making it all up, getting their facts confused. (skeptic)

Neither of these views really makes sense. Which is why I think the truth is something like this:

3. They are intentional, and the writers were highly educated. Their purpose is to tell the reader that the stories are not factual, in case they were unable to gather that from the clues within the text themselves. There is a deeper meaning that the writer is trying to convey. If the reader is not smart enough to catch the clues, then perhaps the differences will get his attention.

What do you think of this third view?
There are books out there that address this, written by priests who learned in seminary that the Gospels are different, and inconsistent with each other, and they discuss why. One reason is that some of the text was doctored to fit Church doctrine. Take a look on Amazon at the books by Bart Ehrman. A stroll through his titles alone will be pretty eye-opening.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
See what I mean? Nothing is good enough for you. I suppose if Jesus Christ Himself came and showed you the nail holes and hole in His side you will still not believe.
I can read the Bible for myself. I don't need to create a Christian Mishna to protect it. But your Mishna is as much an idol for you as your Bible.

I invite people to read the Bible without the Mishna and to embrace the the discrepancies as the same as any eyewitness report. You, however, try to "shape" truth into something in order to point people away from Jesus and onto your "perfect" idol.

Your attempts to "protect" Scripture smacks of dishonesty and cheapens the overall message of each gospel writer.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:51 PM

37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Quote:
I can read the Bible for myself. I don't need to create a Christian Mishna to protect it. But your Mishna is as much an idol for you as your Bible.
I invite people to read the Bible without the Mishna and to embrace the the discrepancies as the same as any eyewitness report. You, however, try to "shape" truth into something in order to point people away from Jesus and onto your "perfect" idol.
Your attempts to "protect" Scripture smacks of dishonesty and cheapens the overall message of each gospel writer.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 AM

802 posts, read 293,196 times
Quote:

RESPONSE:

We now realize that neither Paul or any of the four evangelists were witnesses themselves. They wrote from stories they had heard about Jesus.

Excerpted from A Concise History of the Catholic Church
By Father Thomas Bokenkotter, SS

"The Gospels were not meant to be a historical or biographical account of Jesus. They were written to convert unbelievers to faith in Jesus as the Messiah of God, risen and living now in his church and coming again to judge all men. Their authors did not deliberately invent or falsify facts about Jesus, but they were not primarily concerned with historical accuracy. They readily included material drawn from the Christian communities' experience of the risen Jesus. Words, for instance, were put in the mouth of Jesus and stories were told about him which, though not historical in the strict sense, nevertheless, in the minds of the evangelists, fittingly expressed the real meaning and intent of Jesus as faith had come to perceive him. For this reason, scholars have come to make a distinction between the Jesus of history and the Christ of faith."

Last edited by Aristotle's Child; 03-19-2016 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM

23,448 posts, read 12,124,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle's Child View Post
RESPONSE:

We now realize that neither Paul or any of the four evangelists were witnesses themselves. They wrote from stories they had heard about Jesus.

Excerpted from A Concise History of the Catholic Church
By Father Thomas Bokenkotter, SS

"The Gospels were not meant to be a historical or biographical account of Jesus. They were written to convert unbelievers to faith in Jesus as the Messiah of God, risen and living now in his church and coming again to judge all men. Their authors did not deliberately invent or falsify facts about Jesus, but they were not primarily concerned with historical accuracy. They readily included material drawn from the Christian communities' experience of the risen Jesus. Words, for instance, were put in the mouth of Jesus and stories were told about him which, though not historical in the strict sense, nevertheless, in the minds of the evangelists, fittingly expressed the real meaning and intent of Jesus as faith had come to perceive him. For this reason, scholars have come to make a distinction between the Jesus of history and the Christ of faith."
Sadly, that is entirely too sensible for fundamentalists to accept.

Fortunately, the vast majority of Christians aren't fundies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity