Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just to be fair... most of that stuff will not be in heaven either.
There is no Hell as described and certainly no eternal torment. We have no idea what life as a Spirit unencumbered by the inconveniences and limitations of a physical body will be like nor what the panorama of infinity will be like. But it is awesome to contemplate.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no Hell as described and certainly no eternal torment.
How do you know that?

Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM

131 posts, read 112,389 times
Not to make light of the topic, but can anyone explain to me why there is a "Stairway to Heaven", yet there is a "Highway to Hell"?

Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
There is no Hell as described and certainly no eternal torment. We have no idea what life as a Spirit unencumbered by the inconveniences and limitations of a physical body will be like nor what the panorama of infinity will be like. But it is awesome to contemplate.

Why are you addressing that to me? I said nothing about hell.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know that?
Because eternal torment would achieve nothing positive and is beyond anything cruel and unusual by ANY standards. I cannot imagine what kind of a mind it takes to accept it as something that should or could exist!!! Besides there is no justification for it even in the barbarous and ignorant passages within the Bible. It is clear you do not THINK about any of the things you teach, Vizio. Clearly you just parrot the ancient ignorance as a sign of faith in God. It is a travesty.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
I can't wait to have a perfect, immortal physical body, and be able to actually look my loved ones in the eye and throw my arms around them. I won't feel "encumbered" at all.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:01 PM

425 posts, read 276,238 times
-
Through me; the way to the eternal city.
Through me; the way to eternal sadness.
Through me; the way to lost people.

Justice moved my supreme maker:
I was shaped by divine power,
By highest wisdom, and by primal love.

Before me, nothing was created
That is not eternal: and eternally I endure.
Abandon all hope, you that enter here.

The Divine Comedy
by Dante Alighieri
Inferno: canto 3, v.1-9

Dante's Divine Comedy is called a comedy because it has a happy ending as opposed to a tragedy; at least for Dante anyway. The souls he and Virgil pass along the way through the Inferno portion of Dante's odyssey will never, nor anon, have a happy ending; hence the sign above the entrance to the netherworld: "Abandon all hope, you that enter here."

Webster's defines "despair' as: to no longer have any hope or belief that a situation will improve or change. Well; down in the Inferno section of Dante's concept of the netherworld, despair is taken for granted: it's a way of life.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM

425 posts, read 276,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
why there is a Stairway to Heaven, yet there is a Highway to Hell?
The stairway is likely derived from Gen 28:12, and the highway from Matt 7:13.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can't wait to have a perfect, immortal physical body, and be able to actually look my loved ones in the eye and throw my arms around them. I won't feel "encumbered" at all.
Well I hope you enjoy your immortal toilet and immortal toilet paper among other immortal physical things. I, on the other hand, look forward to the freedom of a Spiritual body.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Well I hope you enjoy your immortal toilet and immortal toilet paper among other immortal physical things.
You are equating "mortal" with "physical." They are not the same thing, and I never said I looked forward to having a "mortal" body again.
Quote:
I, on the other hand, look forward to the freedom of a Spiritual body.
I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed, Mystic, but you'll get used to it. The first time you hold someone you love in your arms again, you'll actually be happy that you were wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity