U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2016, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Oregon
425 posts, read 181,328 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

-
†. Mark 9:47-48 . . If your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It is better to enter the kingdom of God half blind than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell; where the worm never dies and the fire never goes out.

Christ's caution and warning about the fire and worms didn't reveal anything new. He simply reiterated information that had already been released by an Old Testament prophet roughly 700 years before Jesus was born.

†. Isa 66:22-24 . . All humanity will come to worship me from week to week and from month to month. And as they go out, they will see the dead bodies of those who have rebelled against me. For the worms that devour them will never die, and the fire that burns them will never go out. All who pass by will view them with utter loathing.

The dead's remains, with their fire and worms, will apparently be open to the public sort of like the remains of prehistoric beasts on display in the La Brea Tar Pits museum in Los Angeles.

Q: The human body is organic. So then, how can it survive in eternal flame as perpetual nourishment for those worms?

A: The resurrection of the dead depicted at Rev 20:11-15 is a bit of a mystery in that the chemistry of their bodies isn't revealed. They won't be immortal, that much is for sure. But although the dead's bodies won't be impervious to death, they will apparently will be made of a fire resistant material of some kind in order to provide nourishment for the worms.

FYI: A worm that thrives in flame is pretty amazing, but not unreasonable. The 4-inch Pompeii worm lives in sea water temperatures of 176 Fahrenheit: hot enough to kill salmonella and sanitize an egg. So I guess if God could create a worm like the Pompeii, it shouldn't be too difficult for Him to create worms that like it even warmer.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

 
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,644 posts, read 5,141,228 times
Reputation: 3921
This entire thread is nothing but conjecture. People seeking to "look smart" with their supposed bible knowledge enjoy engaging in these useless, fruitless, exercises. Real believers are focused on today and making life better for those around them.

Heaven or Hell is God's business. Being a servant to those around them is the focus of those living in the Spirit.

The last line of Post #8 is the only line worth reading.

Live in the layers, not in the clouds.
 
Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Oregon
425 posts, read 181,328 times
Reputation: 57
-
Grand Central Update: 3 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are a close enough approximation, then something like 197,640 new arrivals have passed through the gates of hell since March 15, 2016

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 PM
 
17,903 posts, read 8,933,201 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no Hell as described and certainly no eternal torment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because eternal torment would achieve nothing positive and is beyond anything cruel and unusual by ANY standards. I cannot imagine what kind of a mind it takes to accept it as something that should or could exist!!! Besides there is no justification for it even in the barbarous and ignorant passages within the Bible. It is clear you do not THINK about any of the things you teach, Vizio. Clearly you just parrot the ancient ignorance as a sign of faith in God. It is a travesty.
And, a lack of having any common sense.
 
Old 03-19-2016, 05:56 PM
 
4,633 posts, read 2,284,313 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
no human is in hell right now and hell isn't a good or friendly place. be strong in God.
To which hell are you referring:
The permanent religious-myth hell teaching of burning forever, or the temporary biblical hell for the sleeping dead ?

Wasn't King David human ?______ and King David is still in hell - Acts 2:34
The day Jesus died didn't Jesus go to hell ?_______ Acts 2:27,31-32 - until God resurrected Jesus out of hell - Acts 3:15
If biblical hell was a permanent place Jesus would still be in hell.
Since Jesus taught sleep in death - John 11:11-14 - then while in the Bible's hell a dead person knows nothing.
Just as we are Not aware of even the passing of time while asleep, the dead know nothing - Ecclesiastes 9:5
Nothing but unconscious sleep - Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13
True, we would Not refer to hell ( biblical grave ) as a good or friendly place, but on the other hand, biblical hell is Not a place of torture. Biblical hell is just mankind's temporary stone-cold grave until resurrected out of hell. Biblical hell is just R.I.P. ( rest in peace ) until resurrection day, or Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over earth, when Jesus will awaken the sleeping dead to healthy physical life on earth. That is why Acts 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there 'is going to be ' a resurrection.....
 
Old 03-19-2016, 06:09 PM
 
4,633 posts, read 2,284,313 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
This entire thread is nothing but conjecture. People seeking to "look smart" with their supposed bible knowledge enjoy engaging in these useless, fruitless, exercises. Real believers are focused on today and making life better for those around them.

Heaven or Hell is God's business. Being a servant to those around them is the focus of those living in the Spirit.
The last line of Post #8 is the only line worth reading.
Live in the layers, not in the clouds.
And by teaching what the Bible really teaches about biblical hell is making life better for those around them.
Yes, heaven and hell are God's business, but so is the down-to-earth teaching about: earth - Isaiah 45:18; Matthew 5:5; Psalm 37:11,29; Proverbs 2:21-22
There are some called to heavenly life who have a first or earlier resurrection - Revelation 20:6; 2:10; 5:9-10
But the majority of mankind sleep in death's deep sleep ( biblical hell ) until a future resurrection during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over earth. That is why Acts 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection....

Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures that is why Jesus taught sleep in death - John 11:11-14
So, the Bible's hell is just mankind's temporary grave until resurrection day or Jesus' millennium-long ruling day.
The dead know nothing -> Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13

The Bible's hell ends us empty:
According to Revelation 20:13-14 everyone in biblical hell is ' delivered up ' ( resurrected out of hell ), then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into a symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell .
Then, under Christ, 'enemy death' will be No more here on earth - 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8
 
Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 400,856 times
Reputation: 822
Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven because He doesn't want you to go there. The Bible is inspired and inerrant in the original writings and God has protected His word and it will stand forever. Some verses are literal and some are be taken spiritually and man has had problems rightly dividing the book for centuries. Jesus gave some indication of the numbers when one of the OT prophets lamented he was the last believer in Israel, Jesus corrected him and said He had 7,000 who had not bowed the knee to Baal. The population at the time was roughly 5-7 million.........do the math........it comes out to .01%

Any way you look at it that's a really narrow path........
 
Old 03-19-2016, 10:55 PM
 
17,903 posts, read 8,933,201 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven because He doesn't want you to go there. The Bible is inspired and inerrant in the original writings and God has protected His word and it will stand forever. Some verses are literal and some are be taken spiritually and man has had problems rightly dividing the book for centuries. Jesus gave some indication of the numbers when one of the OT prophets lamented he was the last believer in Israel, Jesus corrected him and said He had 7,000 who had not bowed the knee to Baal. The population at the time was roughly 5-7 million.........do the math........it comes out to .01%

Any way you look at it that's a really narrow path........
If you think he spoke more about the Christian hell-fire.
Then, maybe you should take an elementary math class?

Because it does not exist in reality.
 
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Oregon
425 posts, read 181,328 times
Reputation: 57
-
. Ecc 1:2-4 . . Meaningless! Futile! complains the Teacher. Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless. What does a man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun? Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.

The earth is dumber than a spatula; yet easily outlives its human potentate whose IQ is infinitely greater. Take for example the great granite monuments in Yosemite Valley. Tourists to the valley come, and tourists to the valley go; and one day old age catches up with those tourists and they're gone; yet Yosemite's great stones abide decade after decade; century after century.

Most children born this day will be dead in 100 years; and those stones won't even notice. Though a child born today may be intelligent enough to eventually understand orbital mechanics and string theory; the stones-- stupid, mute, and uneducated --will easily outlast it.

. Ecc 2:15-16 . . I thought in my heart: The fate of the fool will overtake me also. What then do I gain by being intelligent? I said in my heart: This is meaningless; for the intelligent man, like the fool, will not be long remembered-- in days to come both will be forgotten. Like the fool, the intelligent man too must die.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Old 03-20-2016, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,644 posts, read 5,141,228 times
Reputation: 3921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
And by teaching what the Bible really teaches about biblical hell is making life better for those around them.
Yes, heaven and hell are God's business, but so is the down-to-earth teaching about: earth - Isaiah 45:18; Matthew 5:5; Psalm 37:11,29; Proverbs 2:21-22
There are some called to heavenly life who have a first or earlier resurrection - Revelation 20:6; 2:10; 5:9-10
But the majority of mankind sleep in death's deep sleep ( biblical hell ) until a future resurrection during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over earth. That is why Acts 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection....

Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures that is why Jesus taught sleep in death - John 11:11-14
So, the Bible's hell is just mankind's temporary grave until resurrection day or Jesus' millennium-long ruling day.
The dead know nothing -> Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13

The Bible's hell ends us empty:
According to Revelation 20:13-14 everyone in biblical hell is ' delivered up ' ( resurrected out of hell ), then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into a symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell .
Then, under Christ, 'enemy death' will be No more here on earth - 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8
If one is busy working to help the people Jesus helped, there is no time to worry about what is to be. It is only time to BE in the NOW. And being right about either one doesn't change the needs of those we are called to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top