U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,383,387 times

Advertisements

What web site are these posts copied from?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 AM

425 posts, read 180,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What web site are these posts copied from?
Go to: Sunday School For Born Again Christians

When you get there, look for the Quick Menu down the left side of the page.

Under Quick Menu look for Hold These Thoughts

If you're concerned about plagiarism, go down to the bottom of the page and look for Cliff and Joanne Weber's contact email.

Drop us a line; and if we don't reply, you'll know I've been stealing somebody's work.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 AM

689 posts, read 415,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
-
This thread doesn't focus upon one singular topic. It's a collection of various items from the Bible that just about everybody ponders now and again; for example:

The Difference Between The Old Testament And The New

This major division in the Bible is primarily editorial; viz: it's man-made instead of God-made; but the division is pretty harmless and actually quite useful.

In a nutshell:

1• The primary difference between the two testaments is their respective atonement systems. The Old Testament's atonement system is based upon animal sacrifices; while the New Testament's atonement system is based upon a human sacrifice.

2• The Old Testament's priesthood is captained by men subject to death; while the New Testament's priesthood is captained by a man impervious to death.

3• The Old Testament reveals curses for people who disobey the Ten Commandments; while the New Testament reveals an escape from those curses.

4• The Old Testament is where we learn of the origin of the human race as we know it; while the New Testament is where we learn of the termination of the human race as we know it; along with the introduction of a new human race about which we know comparatively little.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
No. It's complete misunderstanding.

It should be like this;

stage 1) Before Noah - pure law without covenant

Humans are subject to 100% Law.

stage 2) After Noah but before the Jewish covenants

All humans are under a covenant. A covenant is like 80% Law + 20% Grace. The Law is not the same set of Law which Adam broke. It's a sub set of Law God has written in our hearts which becomes the Law for the gentiles. The Law becomes our basic conscience for us to distinguish good from bad. Jesus Christ will finally pay the bill for the 20% grace introduced to the covenant.

Humans have a subset of Law to obey in order to be saved. The 20% grace is needed because it is proven in stage 1) that a 100% Law won't work. 100% Law will simply mean that no humans can be saved. That's why a covenant with grace is needed for the continuity of humanity.

stage 3) Jewish covenants

it's 60~70% Law + 30~40% Grace.

God has made another set of Law (Mosaic Law) for the Jews to obey besides the conscience/moral code He has given us. It is thus easier and more obvious for the Jews to obey this set of Law even at the time when their hearts are hardened to be conscientious.

stage 4) Jesus' coming with a New Covenant

it's 100% Grace without the judgment of Law. This amount of Grace is needed because 2) and 3) will finally not working for humans. it's similar to the case of Noah. If the covenants in 2) and 3) continue to be applied, it simply means that finally no humans can be saved. That drives the need of a covenant with 100% Grace.

That's the continuity of the Law and covenants.

Last edited by Hawkins; 05-06-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 AM

-
Christ's Recovery

There lacks a universal consensus regarding the nature of Christ's resurrection. Some say his crucified body came back to life. Some say that his crucified body was exchanged for a glorified body. Still others say that Christ's crucified body not only didn't recover, but he came back with a spirit body; and his post resurrection physical appearances were done as an angel disguised in a fully-functioning human avatar.

It's evident that Christ has a glorified body at present (Php 3:20-21). But I really don't think such was the case out at the cemetery.

. John 2:19-22 . . Jesus answered them: Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days. The Jews replied: It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days? But the temple he had spoken of was his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said.

Had not Christ's crucified body revived, then his prediction would be easily proven false because the temple he spoke of was "this temple" viz: the body he was standing in as he spoke with the Jews.

Q: If Christ didn't come back from death with the glorified body spoken of in Php 3:20-21, then how and when did he obtain it?

A: Some day the bodies of all Christ's believing followers will be raised from the dead and taken up to meet the Lord in the air (1Thes 3:14-17). On the way up, the bodies will undergo a sudden and miraculous transformation. (1Cor 15:51-53). I think it's pretty safe to assume that Christ's body underwent a similar transformation while on the way up to heaven as per Acts 1:9 so that today his body is no longer a normal human body; but instead a superhuman body to which all his believing followers' bodies will one day conform.

Q: What about the fact that he was able to pass through a locked door? (John 20:19). Surely a normal human body could never do such a thing.

A: Jesus Christ was virgin-conceived, walked on water, calmed storms, restored withered limbs, put the lame up on their feet, healed blindness and leprosy, multiplied loaves and fishes, converted water into wine, raised the dead, withered a fig tree, levitated into the sky, etc. Come on now; what's one more miracle more or less for a man like that?

Q: Why make a big deal out of the nature of Christ's resurrection?

A: The nature of Christ's resurrection is one of the essential components of the gospel that must be accepted if one is to have any hope of escaping the wrath of God.

. 1Cor 15:1-4 . . Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures

Paul goes on to say that if Christ's crucified body did not revive, then his followers haven't a prayer of escaping the wrath of God.

. 1Cor 15:17 . . If Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

Bottom line: If one's concept of Christ's resurrection is false, then they do not yet believe in his recovery.

FYI: What and/or where are the scriptures about which Paul spoke? There's at least two. One is the story of Jonah; which Christ appropriated as a "sign" of his own resurrection. (Jonah 1:17, Matt 12:40). Another is in the book of Psalms at 16:8-10 (cf. Acts 2:22-36)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 AM

-
Jephthah's Daughter

. Judg 11:30-32 . . And Jephthah made a vow to Yhvh and said: If you will indeed give the sons of Ammon into my hand, then it shall be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, it shall be the Lord's, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering.

Long story short: Yhvh gave Jephthah the victory and the first person to meet him coming home was his daughter; and she was his only child; but Jepthah, with his daughter's consent, kept his end of the bargain.

There's some very important things to consider if we're to correctly sleuth what happened.

1 Bloody human sacrifices are illegal under the terms and conditions of the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; so Jephthah couldn't take his daughter to the Levitical priests to be offered on the altar as a literal burnt offering.

2 Heb 11:32 lists Jephthah as a man of faith. Men of faith don't kill their children in pagan rituals knowing full well that God regards all such sacrifices as abominations.

3 According to Judges 11:29, Jephthah was under the influence of Yhvh's Spirit when he made the vow. I seriously doubt that Yhvh would lead that man to kill his daughter contrary to God's feelings about sacrificing one's own children in a bloody pagan ritual.

4 Jephthah's daughter didn't bewail an impending death, but rather, she bewailed her virginity; in other words: she wept at the prospect of spending the rest of her life as an old maid.

5 The Bible doesn't mention her demise, but rather, that she never slept with anybody.

When all of the above is taken into consideration; I think it's fairly safe to conclude that Jephthah's daughter took a vow of celibacy and became something in that day and age equivalent to a nun in our day and age.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 06-13-2016, 10:48 AM

97 posts, read 34,616 times
The Hebrew Scriptures or OT is Gods account of his dealings with his ancient people of Israel. Right from the start Gen 3:15 a seed was promised to bring about Gods original purpose. Gods Sovereignity to be established and all humans eventually raised to perfection and inhabit and populate the earth far into the future. Matt 6:9, 10
The OT tells of all the trials, misfortunes of their own making when Israel backslided and limped on two opinions when they too and froed between their worship of interfaith with pagan neighbor's or true worship of Jehovah. I Kings 18:21. Despite them having a perfect Law covenant the need for a perfect sacrifice was paramount because the blood of animals had to be repeated whereas it pointed to a once for all time perfect Sacrifice in JESUS. The OT also points to the effort of ensuring that the Messiah Line would be identified and preserved. Starting from Abraham then to Issac, Jacob, Judah, to David (who was promised the covenant that an heir from him would rule and be his Son 1 Chron 17:11 Matt 1:1 9:27 21:15) Towards the close of the end of Israels history, as Jehovah's chosen people, at the time of Esther a threat of annihilation looked imminent. Jehovah gave his people a unique victory and closed the chapters of an old enemy when a prophecy at Gen 49: 27 came true. Esther 8:7
After the temple was destroyed in 70CE by Roman armies all trace of genealogies were lost.
With the advent of Jesus appearance on earth all the Jews were in expectation of him. They asked Could this be the Christ John 4:29 some thought he was Elijah or John the Baptist or a Prophet. The Jews knew the Messiah was to appear at a specific time from a prophecy Daniel had spoken almost 500 years previously.
He proved by his works, manner and demeanor to the humble hard pressed Am harets or people of the earth (or lit dirt) those seeking spiritual relief NOT FOUND in their religious leaders back then how his Father felt about them. See Matt 4:14-17 He fulfilled Isa 42:1-4 as well as many others in his life and manner of his life and death.
indeed Justice to the nstions is what he will bring forth. Isa 42:1 Prince of Peace, Eternal Father, Mighty God & Wonderful Counselor Isa 9:6
There is not another name to be saved by. Acts 4:12

Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM

-
Eating Meat

. Gen 9:1-4 . . Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them: Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands.

. . . Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.

Blessings should never be construed as commandments and/or laws and edicts. In other words: God gave Noah and his sons the green light to eat meat, but He didn't say they had to.

. Rom 14:2-3 . . One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.

FYI: Prior to the Flood, humans were vegans. Afterwards; they were given permission to become omnivorous. People are often curious about that.

According to an article in the Dec 10, 2013 Science section of the New York Times, scientists believe that the early human body was able to manufacture all of its own essential vitamins; but over time gradually lost the ability to manufacture all but K and D.

That seems plausible to me seeing as how Noah lived to be 950 years old, but by the time of Abraham, the human life span had decreased considerably to 175; which the Bible describes as a ripe old age (Gen 25:7 8). Well, Noah at 175 was about equivalent to Abraham at 32; so the human body was obviously a whole lot stronger back in Noah's day than it was in Abraham's.

Apparently the inclusion of meat in Man's diet after the Flood was intended primarily as a source of natural supplements to make up for the human body's gradually lessening ability to manufacture all it's own essential nutrients; much the same reason that modern vegans resort to synthetic supplements in order to avoid contracting deficiency diseases.

People subsisting on vegan diets, such as many of the people of India, often eat lots of minute insect eggs along with their fruits and vegetables without knowing it, thus providing themselves with a number of essential nutrients that most everyone else obtains by deliberately eating animal products. It's kind of humorous that in their care to avoid meat they end up eating bugs.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM

8,366 posts, read 2,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
-
Eating Meat

. Gen 9:1-4 . . Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them: Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands.

. . . Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.

Blessings should never be construed as commandments and/or laws and edicts. In other words: God gave Noah and his sons the green light to eat meat, but He didn't say they had to.

. Rom 14:2-3 . . One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.

FYI: Prior to the Flood, humans were vegans. Afterwards; they were given permission to become omnivorous. People are often curious about that.

According to an article in the Dec 10, 2013 Science section of the New York Times, scientists believe that the early human body was able to manufacture all of its own essential vitamins; but over time gradually lost the ability to manufacture all but K and D.

That seems plausible to me seeing as how Noah lived to be 950 years old, but by the time of Abraham, the human life span had decreased considerably to 175; which the Bible describes as a ripe old age (Gen 25:7 8). Well, Noah at 175 was about equivalent to Abraham at 32; so the human body was obviously a whole lot stronger back in Noah's day than it was in Abraham's.

Apparently the inclusion of meat in Man's diet after the Flood was intended primarily as a source of natural supplements to make up for the human body's gradually lessening ability to manufacture all it's own essential nutrients; much the same reason that modern vegans resort to synthetic supplements in order to avoid contracting deficiency diseases.

People subsisting on vegan diets, such as many of the people of India, often eat lots of minute insect eggs along with their fruits and vegetables without knowing it, thus providing themselves with a number of essential nutrients that most everyone else obtains by deliberately eating animal products. It's kind of humorous that in their care to avoid meat they end up eating bugs.

Love the read.

Just wanted to add that eventually corruption came into play before the flood. Leaving the Lord to further instruction. Which Noah faithfully followed in building the Ark.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM

-
Spiritual Body vs Spirit Body

. 1 Cor 15:44 . . It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Watch as I revise that passage because the difference is significant.

"It is sown a natural body, it is raised up a spirit body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spirit body."

No; it doesn't say spirit body but nevertheless that's what some people have decided it ought to say.

The Greek word translated "spiritual" is ambiguous. It doesn't necessarily refer to spirit. Below is a list of spiritual things that bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the body chemistry of an angel or a demon.

Spiritual gifts (Rom 1:11)
Spiritual law (Rom 7:14)
Spiritual things (Rom 15:27)
Spiritual people (1Cor 2:15)
Spiritual nourishment (1Cor 10:3)
Spiritual water (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual rock (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual blessings (Eph 1:3)
Spiritual music (Eph 5:19)
Spiritual understanding (Col 1:9)
Spiritual housing (1Pet 2:5)
Spiritual sacrifices (1Pet 2:5)

I sincerely believe that the spiritual body spoken of at 1Cor 15:44 is in no way composed of spirit. Of what material it is composed I don't know; but I do know at least four things about it.

1 The spiritual body is patterned after Christ's body.

. Phil 3:20-21 . .Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

2 The spiritual body is capable of dining upon ordinary foods.

. Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.

3 The spiritual body is capable of imbibing ordinary beverages.

. Matt 26:29 . . I tell you: I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.

4 The spiritual body is capable of being seen by the naked eye.

. Acts 1:11 . . Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched him go into heaven.

. Rev 1:7 . . Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him

Old 10-07-2017, 08:38 PM

Post Re: Common Curiosities

-
The Everlasting Gospel

This particular gospel is a bounce from the first chapter of Genesis.

. Rev 14:6-7 . . And I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the everlasting gospel to preach to the people who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, language, and people. Fear God! he shouted. Give glory to Him! For the time has come when He will sit as judge. Worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all the springs of water!

The everlasting gospel is very elementary. Pretty much all it says is:

1 There is a supreme being.

2 He deserves respect.

3 There's a frightful reckoning looming on the horizon, and

4 The cosmos-- all of its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the product of intelligent design.

/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity