U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,647,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, there was no 'Bible' ...what are you talking about?
How could someone die for something that did not exist?
What am I missing?
Jesus didn't die for the Bible. He died for your sins so that you could have eternal life by simply placing your faith in Him.

But the Old Testament Scriptures did exist at the time of Jesus, and so, yes, there was a Bible. There simply was as of yet, no New Testament documents in existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 PM

4,221 posts, read 1,964,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, Jesus applied Isaiah 53 to Himself. As recorded in Luke 22:37 Jesus referred to a portion of Isaiah 53:12 and said it must be fulfilled in Him.
Luke 22:37 '"For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, 'AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS'; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment."
Isaiah 53:12 goes on to say, ''. . . Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors; Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors.
Now, the entirety of Isaiah 53:12 has the same referent. Therefore all of Isaiah 53:12 refers to Jesus, as does the entirety of Isaiah 53.

In applying Isaiah 53 to Himself, Jesus made it clear that He was to bear the sins of many and intercede for the transgressors.

Further, the apostle Phillip applied Isaiah 53 to Jesus when he began preaching Jesus to the Ethiopian Eunuch from Isaiah 53. See Acts 8:26-35 for the details.

Additionally, Jesus made it clear that He was to give His life for many in (Matthew 20:28). That was a reference to the fact that He was going to die for the sins of the world.

As well, there are a number of other New Testament passages which make it clear that Jesus died for the sins of the world.

Denying that Jesus died for the sins of the world, denying that He died for your sins is nothing less than a rejection of the gospel message.
Everything He said about scripture that described the son of God or son of man was not necessarily about Him but all those incorporated in the son of God and son of man who is Israel.

You misunderstand scripture and the power of God because you do not accept the mission and teaching of the son of man.

Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty the water I give him shall be like a well inside him springing up to provide eternal life.

"Seek justice seek humility perhaps you'll be sheltered on the day of the Lord's anger." That's the Lord who lives in me and I in Him.

I am th e resurrection and the life, anyone who believes in me even though he died he will come to life and anyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Everything He said about scripture that described the son of God or son of man was not necessarily about Him but all those incorporated in the son of God and son of man who is Israel.

You misunderstand scripture and the power of God because you do not accept the mission and teaching of the son of man.

Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty the water I give him shall be like a well inside him springing up to provide eternal life.

"Seek justice seek humility perhaps you'll be sheltered on the day of the Lord's anger." That's the Lord who lives in me and I in Him.

I am th e resurrection and the life, anyone who believes in me even though he died he will come to life and anyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.
It appears that you're just going to ignore the fact that Jesus applied Isaiah 53 to Himself, and continue to deny that Jesus died for the sins of the world, and accuse me of not accepting the mission and teaching of the son of man which you think is you.

But that's about what I expected. It's pointless trying to get through to you.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:57 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,432,516 times
Christ gave Himself a ransom for all mankind and that is the reason God gives for why He will have all mankind to be saved in 1 Timothy 2:4-6.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:27 PM

21,272 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Christ died for all of us. "For as in Adam, all die; even so, in Christ shall all be made alive."

Old 03-16-2016, 02:30 PM

20,568 posts, read 22,728,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
On what basis do you make that claim?
There was NO bible then and Christ NEVER said BELIEVE THE BIBLE, He said BELIEVE IN ME...not the written word.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There was NO bible then and Christ NEVER said BELIEVE THE BIBLE, He said BELIEVE IN ME...not the written word.
The Old Testament books were in existence at the time of Christ, and well before the time of Christ, and were the Bible as it existed then. The apostles represented Jesus after His ascension. Jesus had things to communicate to the apostles which had to wait until after He ascended. Once He had ascended and the Holy Spirit came, He communicated those things to the apostles (John 16:12-15), and one of the results is the New Testament Scriptures.

Jesus recognized the authority of the Old Testament Scriptures and fully expected that they be believed. He reprimanded the Pharisees for not believing what Moses had written concerning Him.
John 5:46 "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM

20,568 posts, read 22,728,017 times
Again, was the thief a bible believer? NO he was not..he just believed Jesus. Yet only the educated and the rabbis had access to the scrolls. The scrolls were NOT in the hands of the common people.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Again, was the thief a bible believer? NO he was not..he just believed Jesus. Yet only the educated and the rabbis had access to the scrolls. The scrolls were NOT in the hands of the common people.
The Old Testament scrolls were read in the synagogues, and every Jewish male was expected to be able to read from the scrolls. It was a public reading.

As for the New Testament, the letters, once they had been written were copied and circulated to the various churches and read in the churches.

The issue in salvation is believing the gospel message concerning Jesus whatever the means by which you hear the gospel. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Bible is the word of God which means that it is God's message to man set down in writing.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM

589 posts, read 229,006 times
If christ did die he died for all people, not just bible believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or