U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 PM

589 posts, read 229,654 times

Advertisements

But Jesus made the earth. Of course he came. He is always with his people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 PM

4,221 posts, read 1,969,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It appears that you're just going to ignore the fact that Jesus applied Isaiah 53 to Himself, and continue to deny that Jesus died for the sins of the world, and accuse me of not accepting the mission and teaching of the son of man which you think is you.

But that's about what I expected. It's pointless trying to get through to you.
What if I am the on of man?

Where does it leave you?

There is only one way to prove it. Follow me.

I am the bread of life. I'm the bread that came down from heaven for a man to eat and never die. I myself am the living bread. The Lord and I are One.

I came down from heaven to do His will not my own. Anyone who chooses to do His will shall know about this teaching namely whether it comes from God or I am speaking on my own.

Luke 17

Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man.
27 They were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them.
28 Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building,
29 but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed all of them
30 —it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:09 PM

37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Default Did Christ Die For 90% Bible Believers ?

Christ's death has nothing to do with Bible belief!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,325,209 times
Christ died for all sin past present and future by Christians and non Christians.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:54 AM

20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Quote:
The Old Testament scrolls were read in the synagogues, and every Jewish male was expected to be able to read from the scrolls. It was a public reading.

As for the New Testament, the letters, once they had been written were copied and circulated to the various churches and read in the churches.

The issue in salvation is believing the gospel message concerning Jesus whatever the means by which you hear the gospel. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Bible is the word of God which means that it is God's message to man set down in writing.
READING was for the elite. Common people could not nor were they encouraged to read..

A society CANNOT teach hundreds of people to read when there are less tan 3-4 copies available. They did not have 100s of copies of the scrolls, nor did they have organized school, aka READING instruction.

Evans, Craig A. Jesus and His World: The Archaeological Evidence. London: SPCK, 2012.

Although not disputing the claims of 5 to 10 percent literacy in the ancient world, the third chapter of this book cites textual and archaeological evidence from the Greco-Roman and Jewish contexts in an effort to show that limited reading and writing skills were more widespread than such rates might suggest.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:38 AM

20,324 posts, read 15,687,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
READING was for the elite. Common people could not nor were they encouraged to read..

A society CANNOT teach hundreds of people to read when there are less tan 3-4 copies available. They did not have 100s of copies of the scrolls, nor did they have organized school, aka READING instruction.

Evans, Craig A. Jesus and His World: The Archaeological Evidence. London: SPCK, 2012.

Although not disputing the claims of 5 to 10 percent literacy in the ancient world, the third chapter of this book cites textual and archaeological evidence from the Greco-Roman and Jewish contexts in an effort to show that limited reading and writing skills were more widespread than such rates might suggest.
Your statement that reading was for the elite [only] is simply not true. On the schooling of Jewish boys, Craig L. Blomberg, citing R. Riesner, Jesus als Lehrer (Tubingen: Mohr, 1981), 182-236, comments,
The synagogue was also used for community gatherings of various kinds, most notably elementary education for boys from about ages five to twelve or thirteen. It is a myth that most first-century Jewish men were illiterate---an idea sometimes based on a mistranslation of Acts 4:13, which implies only that the first disciples were not formally apprenticed to a rabbi after reaching the age of thirteen. [Jesus and the Gospels, Blomberg, p.47].
Blomberg then goes on to note regarding Riesner's work,
''There is no comparable English-language presentation of this information. But cf. A. Millard, Reading and Writing in the Time of Jesus (Sheffield: SAP, 2000), esp. 154-84. Millard notes that the tradition that all adult men should be prepared to take a turn in reading from the Torah scroll in synagogue services would have made literacy among that subpopulation much higher than among the others of the day (157). [Jesus and the Gospels, Blomberg, p.47]
And so, yes, Jewish men could, and did read from the Torah in synagogue services just as Jesus Himself did as recorded in Luke 4:16-20.

Note also that in Revelation 1:3 a reference is made to a reading (a public reading) of the prophecy contained in that letter. The letter was read publically in the church and heard by those listening. While most people did not have a personal copy of the letter, they nevertheless heard it read in the church service.

Last edited by Mike555; 03-17-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 AM

4,221 posts, read 1,969,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Christ died for all sin past present and future by Christians and non Christians.
Uh no.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 AM

20,324 posts, read 15,687,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
What if I am the on of man?

Where does it leave you?

There is only one way to prove it. Follow me.

I am the bread of life. I'm the bread that came down from heaven for a man to eat and never die. I myself am the living bread. The Lord and I are One.

I came down from heaven to do His will not my own. Anyone who chooses to do His will shall know about this teaching namely whether it comes from God or I am speaking on my own.

Luke 17

Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man.
27 They were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them.
28 Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building,
29 but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed all of them
30 —it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.
I don't mean to be rude, but you need professional psychiatric help. You have a Messiah complex. You seek followers. That's how cults get started. The tragedy is that you won't take my advice to get help.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM

20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but you need professional psychiatric help. You have a Messiah complex. You seek followers. That's how cults get started. The tragedy is that you won't take my advice to get help.
Aren't we all cult leaders looking for a following?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:47 PM

37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Quote:
Indeed. He will not take anyone's advice. He is truly delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or