U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,987,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Pay attention, Vizio, there are three version, NONE of which agree on the details, so only ONE could be accurate in those details, and that fact militates against taking every word of scripture at face value.
How do you know that they are the same events?

Of the 2 that took place entering Jericho....what's the discrepancy? One mentions 1 man...the other mentions 2. Neither one says there were only 1 man. There may have been 5 men for all we know--and the writers only mentioned 1, and 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 12:51 PM

2,655 posts, read 1,385,789 times
Or he healed one man on entering and healed a second on leaving

Old 03-16-2016, 12:54 PM

13,321 posts, read 4,261,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Of the 2 that took place entering Jericho....what's the discrepancy? One mentions 1 man...the other mentions 2. Neither one says there were only 1 man. There may have been 5 men for all we know--and the writers only mentioned 1, and 2.
They were all the same event, but I would say it's a lesson on persistence. I think what happened is that a blind man saw Jesus and heard of him coming into Jericho, and while he was waiting for Jesus to come out the same gate, he had run into another blind man who had heard him calling out, and it was that Jesus was exiting that the two were healed but Matthew will be way more observant than other gospel writers and where we find a couple other discrepancies, it is usually Matthew being precise. The persistence of the one blind man made him stand out because he was much more colorful in begging even though people advised him against it and the other didn't stand out, maybe because he was not as persistent, and maybe there is something to be learned through persistency.

But whatever the answer, it is the same event, and there is a problem, albeit not much of a problem in my eyes, and when you find a discrepancy it is usually a good thing because you will find something that you might not have found otherwise until you really look at the story from all sides.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:58 PM

15,557 posts, read 7,016,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Just WOW!

Your credibility just dropped 5 points.... and that's hard to do.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM

6,822 posts, read 3,139,069 times
A Jesus story embellished over the years.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:27 PM

23,393 posts, read 12,098,827 times
A primitive urban legend with details added and subtracted and changed by the various copy editors over the centuries.

Like most of the bible.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:34 PM

3,516 posts, read 1,214,309 times
Focus on the Bibles message- Jesus Christ- not on discrepancies- unless you are like some that only want to make fun of Gods Word. I hope you are not, and only curious.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:47 PM

8,625 posts, read 11,898,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just WOW!

Your credibility just dropped 5 points.... and that's hard to do.
I understand your feeling. Before now I had considered him to be a straight ahead orthodox/fundamentalist believer. Now I suspect that he is an atheist who is just playing a role for amusement. But I'm not completely sure either way.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM

8,625 posts, read 11,898,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Focus on the Bibles message- Jesus Christ- not on discrepancies- unless you are like some that only want to make fun of Gods Word. I hope you are not, and only curious.
If you were to discover that the writers of the Bible actually DID intend to have humor, then what would you say? Could you take the Bible so seriously from now on? I'm not saying that it is something to be ridiculed, but just to consider that it cannot be taken so seriously and so literally as fundamentalists would say that it should. Even if it was completely made up and did have intended humor, it would not negate the fact that the intended spiritual/psychological meaning of the stories was something to take seriously.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:51 PM

15,557 posts, read 7,016,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Look again, bryan: what is being said is that we SHOULD focus on the message and NOT on ONE of the means of conveying that message. The whole point of this discussion is that the Bible is NOT "The Word of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity