Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Mark 10 - As Jesus is leaving Jericho, just before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, he heals a blind man by the side of the road.

Matthew 20 - As Jesus is leaving Jericho, just before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, he heals TWO blind men by the side of the road. Everything else is the same, including the responses from the man/men and the words spoken by the crowd.

Luke 18 - BEFORE Jesus enters Jericho, he heals a blind man by the road. Everything else is the same including the words spoken by the man and the crowd, except that it occurs before entering JERICHO.

John - The most significant event I could find around this time was Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

Why are there so many discrepancies about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Mark 10 - As Jesus is leaving Jericho, just before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, he heals a blind man by the side of the road.

Matthew 20 - As Jesus is leaving Jericho, just before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, he heals TWO blind men by the side of the road. Everything else is the same, including the responses from the man/men and the words spoken by the crowd.

Luke 18 - BEFORE Jesus enters Jericho, he heals a blind man by the road. Everything else is the same including the words spoken by the man and the crowd, except that it occurs before entering JERICHO.

John - The most significant event I could find around this time was Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

Thanks, gives me something to ponder.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 9,133 times
Police have the same problem with accident investigation.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokefire7 View Post
Police have the same problem with accident investigation.

That's what I would say off the top of my head about a thing, but with scripture, if there is a discrepancy, there is usually a reason.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 9,133 times
I don't perceive it to be that critical.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Because "inspired" does not mean "dictated," and "God-breathed is only a literal translation of the Greek term that was understood to mean the same thing as inspiring music or poetry.

The recent emphasis on the literal translation is a transparent attempt to lend authority to something that was never meant for it.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokefire7 View Post
I don't perceive it to be that critical.

Me either, but it is curious to me, that it may mean something.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

The Gospel authors were not news reporters. They were writing books in order to present a message and used the stories of Jesus to do so. So while one emphasized one part, another emphasized another.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Gospel authors were not news reporters. They were writing books in order to present a message and used the stories of Jesus to do so. So while one emphasized one part, another emphasized another.
There is a world of difference between emphasizing one part and contradicting each other.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
There is a world of difference between emphasizing one part and contradicting each other.
Agreed. But these are not contradictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity