Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
"If there's no hell, why not just do whatever you want to?"

That question tells me so much about a person.
Indeed, it does, and it should...

Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 AM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
"If there's no hell, why not just do whatever you want to?" That question tells me so much about a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Indeed, it does, and it should...

Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 AM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times
Quote:
It would, yes. I've seen similar billboards. Some people REALLY DIG the ET doctrine. I mean by that, that is it a very key part of their faith. That is why they ask questions like: "If there's no hell, why not just do whatever you want to?" That question tells me so much about a person.

I just now noticed that the shirt is sold by WRY TOAST DESIGNS on ETSY. Hahaha!
No true follower of Christ "digs" the idea of eternal hell. Rather, it urges us on to share the gospel.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No true follower of Christ "digs" the idea of eternal hell. Rather, it urges us on to share the gospel.
It promotes fear within the realm of the gullible, nothing more.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:

Wrong, it also tends to make those who feel they are in the "right" position self-righteous. We see it all the time.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Wrong, it also tends to make those who feel they are in the "right" position self-righteous. We see it all the time.
I stand corrected, yet are not the self-righteous easily deceived.
Or, are they merely swindlers who prey on gullible elderly widows?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Nonsense. It prevents the true love that God desires from us. No one can truly love someone they fear all the nonsense about reverence notwithstanding.
Quote:
Amen! They are the ones blindly accepting the "precepts and doctrines of men" and NOT actually thinking about the meaning of the phrase God IS love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
it also tends to make those who feel they are in the "right" position self-righteous. We see it all the time.
Yes, unfortunately. It tickles their ears.
Quote:
I stand corrected, yet are not the self-righteous easily deceived.
Or, are they merely swindlers who prey on gullible elderly widows?
I suspect a combination, Jer.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:38 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nonsense. It prevents the true love that God desires from us. No one can truly love someone they fear all the nonsense about reverence notwithstanding.
There is no fear in Christ. True love is sharing the good news of Christ with your fellow man. "Go ye therefore and make new disciples...". Matt. 28

Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,390,561 times
Post Three beliefs about salvation

ARMINIAN BELIEF VERSUS CALVINIST BELIEF VERSUS UNIVERSAL SALVATION BELIEF

ARMINIAN BELIEF - It's as if God says
“Unless you are lucky enough to find out about my Son during this lifetime, and even if you are that lucky, if you don’t have the good sense to cooperate with my Son properly before you die, then I am going to raise you from the dead and I will either annihilate you, or sustain you alive in an inescapable state of eternal torment.”
Christ's apparent mission: To save from annihilation or eternal torment only those who are lucky enough to hear about Jesus before they die, and also have enough good sense to properly cooperate with Him before they die.

CALVINIST BELIEF - It's as if God says
"Since there is nothing you can do about it because you are totally depraved and you are not one of the elect, it is obvious that I created most of you for the purpose of either annihilating you or letting you suffer eternal torment. However, I am going to unconditionally choose a few of you to go to heaven where you will be happy forever."
Christ's apparent mission: To let everyone be annihilated, or suffer eternal torment except the unconditionally elected few that He rescues by His irresistible grace.

UNIVERSAL RECONCILIATION BELIEF (mine) – God says
“Sooner or later, because of what Christ accomplished by His death and resurrection, I am going to save all of you from everything from which you need to be saved, including your stubborn will.”
Christ's scriptural mission: 'And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world' (1John 4:14).
I worship a Jesus Who will be completely successful in accomplishing the reason why His Father sent Him.
Christ was prophesied to take away the sin of the world (Jn. 1:29), so how then can a sinless world suffer everlasting punishment?! How absurd! Christ is the Saviour of the world (Jn. 4:42; 1Jn. 4:14), and He will save it!"

THE AGES COLLECTIVELY COME TO AN END WITH EVERYONE SAVED
GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
"During the present wicked eon (Gal.1:4), Sin reigns, Satan who is said to be “the god of this eon” (2 Cor.4:4) blinds and deceives mankind, and death swallows up the race (1 Cor.15:22). But notwithstanding, God is over all and is in supreme control. He is the eonian God. In due time He will deliver the entire creation and bring good out of all the suffering mankind is called upon to endure (Rom.8;18-23)."

GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,137,984 times
Mat_23:15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves.
Mat_23:33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?
Mar_5:7 And crying out with a loud voice, he said, "What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me."
Mar_9:43 And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire.
Mar_9:45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell.
Mar_9:47 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell,
Luk_8:28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell down before him and said with a loud voice, "What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, do not torment me."
Luk_12:5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!
Luk_16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
Luk_16:28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.'
Jas_3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell.
2Pe_2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment;
Rev_9:5 They were allowed to torment them for five months, but not to kill them, and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings someone.
Rev_11:10 and those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and make merry and exchange presents, because these two prophets had been a torment to those who dwell on the earth.
Rev_14:11 And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name."
Rev_18:7 As she glorified herself and lived in luxury, so give her a like measure of torment and mourning, since in her heart she says, 'I sit as a queen, I am no widow, and mourning I shall never see.'
Rev_18:10 They will stand far off, in fear of her torment, and say, "Alas! Alas! You great city, you mighty city, Babylon! For in a single hour your judgment has come."
Rev_18:15 The merchants of these wares, who gained wealth from her, will stand far off, in fear of her torment, weeping and mourning aloud,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity