U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM

10,257 posts, read 10,376,934 times

Advertisements

Fourteen threads covering the same topic have been merged into one. Did anybody ever think of searching for an existing thread before starting a new one?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:17 PM

14,983 posts, read 7,526,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Fourteen threads covering the same topic have been merged into one. Did anybody ever think of searching for an existing thread before starting a new one?

SuperMod, to the rescue. Thanks for always cleaning up our messes, Mensa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM

12,595 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Jesus taught more about hell than He did about heaven.
You are correct about that ...more than anyone in the Bible.
It seems he wanted to show an alternative...saving souls from hell.
I had to look it up just now.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM

17,658 posts, read 8,860,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You are correct about that ...more than anyone in the Bible.
It seems he wanted to show an alternative...saving souls from hell.
I had to look it up just now.
Now, Miss Hepburn that depends on what you refer to as heaven and hell.
Nowhere, was he referencing a place of eternal torment or punishment.

Heaven and hell are two inflectional points of an apparent path for all humanity.
It's called Life and death; and life will always outweigh that of death overall.

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-18-2017 at 02:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM

12,595 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Now, Miss Hepburn that depends on what you refer to as heaven and hell.
Nowhere, was he referencing a place of eternal torment or punishment.
OH! No one said that in what i read....geeze!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:31 PM

427 posts, read 95,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
What is the purpose of following God if in the end everyone will have the same fate regardless. Im not saying people deserve to burn in torture, but more like a why would someone work hard or work at all, if at the end of the week, they will get the same exact amount for $$$ for whether they worked at all or put in 40 hrs.
Why do many people obey the law? So they wont go to prison.

A passage in Matthew that has been interpreted as speaking of the possibility of release from "hell" (Gehenna) is:

Matt 5:25-26 Come to terms quickly with your adversary before it is too late and you are dragged into court, handed over to an officer, and thrown in jail. I assure you that you won't be free again until you have paid the last penny.

This is spoken by Jesus in the context of references to Gehenna, both before and after this passage.

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

Old 08-18-2017, 06:35 PM

10,177 posts, read 10,538,351 times
Look, tutt--have you ever considered that debating universal redemption vs eternal torment in fire is like debating how many angels can dance on the end of a pinhead? I mean where's the proof for any of it?

Why not go to the closest source we have for verifiable answers to what happens after death: near-death experiences. People who have had veridical NDE's say they didn't see Jesus, or heaven or hell or flames or satan or any of the other. Everybody went to a beautiful meadow with fields and trees and forests and waterfalls and stunning colors like this:

(public domain)

Now you post endless links on Universal Redemption and request that we read it. How about you extend us the courtesy and read the link that I post that explains veridical NDE's and how nobody saw anything except their dead relatives who were very happy living in beautiful environments. It's a very short page. You don't want there to be any suffering in hell, right? Well, with veridical NDE's that's exactly what you get: banishment of all the eternal fiery torment stuff. What difference does it make if it comes about naturally for all of us at death without all the baggage, or via UR which is unprovable theology? You win either way. Think about it. If you the decent kind of fellow I think you are, you'll read the link and then give us your thoughts on it? What do you say?

http://www.near-death.com/science/ev...while-obe.html

Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
So we can look forward to seeing Hitler, Mao, Lincoln, and other mass murderers in heaven?
You don't think God is big enough?
You don't believe Love is powerful enough?

I do.

The most lost among us are the most in need of what the Master has, in order to be healed.
There will be a greater understanding one day.

Look instead for the beautiful picture of reconciliation that goes far beyond the average human comprehension. Seek Higher Things.

I see victim sitting next to criminal and forgiving that criminal of the crimes he committed against him or her. I see that. I see that happening. This life is not all there is. I have already seen in my mind's eye the forgiveness I will one day be able to give others, and those who I am in need of forgivemenss, embracing me. It is a hard thing to need forgiveness. Many will discover that. Including myself. There are many shades and depths, but eventually every knee will bow.

Only God can put beauty in your heart such as that.
Only God can make you see BEYOND what is, to what WILL BE.

It's beyond words.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,808,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

I do.

The most lost among us are the most in need of what the Master has, in order to be healed.

Look instead for the beautiful picture of reconciliation that goes far beyond the average human comprehension. Seek Higher Things.

I see victim sitting next to criminal and forgiving that criminal of the crimes he committed against him or her. I see that. I see that happening. This life is not all there is. I have already seen in my mind's eye the forgiveness I will one day be able to give others, and those who I am in need of forgivemenss, embracing me. It is a hard thing to need forgiveness. Many will discover that. Including myself. There are many shades and depths, but eventually every knee will bow.

It's beyond words.
You don't think God is Just?
You don't believe Jesus is powerful enough to judge justly?

I do.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM

37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

I do.

It's beyond words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity